MacOS -exclusive mode

I cannot find where to set up the Audirvana software in “exclusive mode” so that the MIDI app is disabled. If not disabled, the MIDI app dictates the output sampling frequency, and whatever it is set for is what the DAC sees. Thus, files are resampled, if the original file and the MIDI setting are not the same. Resampling kills sound quality.

Thanks in advance for feedback and advice.

Hello @psjofors,

You can see it here:

Thanks, Antoine. I have this set for exclusive mode, yet the MIDI app tells my Mac what sampling frequency to feed the DAC. Is there a setting somewhere else? I really appreciate any help you can provide.

You can ignore the MIDI settings when exclusive mode is enabled.

Also when the playback starts? Normally, the midi setting determines the configuration for OSX’s internal mixer. Until you activate exclusive access and then start music. From that moment on, Audirvana determined what happens. Can you post the Debug info here while playing music?

Well, I cannot since MIDI actually changes the sampling frequency (and I can see that on my DAC’s display).

Jacob - How do I access debug info?

I don’t get it, do you have some issues with playing different resolutions?

Bitracer - Yes. Simple sample frequency conversion affects the sound quality and is clearly audible. In fact, I discovered this several years ago when playing files that did not sound right, and saw that the MIDI app was set for a different sample frequency than the file I was playing.

If you’re in exclusive mode, it doesn’t. It’s not dependent on what the MIDI app is telling you.

If you had a DAC that shows the sampling resolution on a display you would be able to see that.

Bitracer - I do have a DAC that tells me the sampling frequency, and I can hear how it changes frequency as I change the setting in the MIDI control. (It goes silent for a second before sound with the “new” frequent is played.)

Maybe I don’t get it. What is the problem exactly? Is it this moment of silence on sampling rate change.

The resampling as it affects the resulting sound quality.

What resampling? There‘s no resampling going on unless you turn it on.

For me on macOS 12.2.1 with Audirvana 3.5.50 it works exactly as expected. It has always worked on maxOS 10.13 with various versions of Audirvana.

Once Audirvana is playing music and exclusive mode is on, the settings in midi setup are ignored. No idea what the difference is in your situation.

If you post Debug info here we might be able to see what’s going on.

Thanks all for all your help. In the end, it turned out I had made a stupid mistake and it does work as it should.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.