MQA decoding and rendering differ from Roon using the same hardware

How do I know if I’m getting MQA?

The MQA indicator LED on the front panel of the DacMagic 200M will indicate when an MQA file is being processed.

GREEN

Signifies the output as an MQA File. This indicates that a full decode is being performed by the 200M.

Green.png

BLUE

Signifies MQA Studio. Approved in the studio by the artist/producer or verified by the copyright holder as accurate to the original recording. This indicates that a full decode is being performed by the 200M.

Blue.png

MAGEN TA

The MQA stream is pre-decoded and the unit is operating as a renderer; this means that the unit is outputting a stream that has been decoded by the TIDAL app. Although this is perfectly fine, a better solution is to enable the 200M to execute a full decode. To do this, turn on MQA passthrough in your TIDAL settings to allow the DacMagic 200M to complete the unfolding process rather than the source device (e.g.: the computer).

Magenta.png

Looks to me that blue is what you want if you want the Cambridge to do the full decoding work.

Turn off the auto detect MQA devices switch and see what happens………:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@siebzehnx
When I used Tidal I always left it set to decode, never on automatic.
It always worked correctly.

Today I use Qobuz and I think MQA is a system that is dying out.

3 Likes

Very interesting. That kind of contradicts what their manual says. However I’m inclined to believe in this more than in the manual

What I read into it is that magenta is the render mode and upstream the first unfolding is being done, blue light is that the full MQA file is being presented to your DAC to do the complete decoding process. In Roon you were using dsp of some sort and the MQA process was being at least partially done upstream in Roon.

3 Likes

You are most likely spot on now. Made some changes in the settings and now both apps light up blue or green

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.