Musical Fidelity MX-DAC

I have a Musical Fidelity MX-DAC connected to my iMac 2020 via a peach tree audio X1 USB to SPDIF converter. So the USB goes into the DAC via the SPDIF. Everything sounds great, but in the settings it shows the DAC isn’t able to play the DSD files directly unless I check Convert to PCM. Am I okay like this, or is there a change I need to make to get better sound from the DSD files I downloaded?

marc

You can’t transfer DSD over SPDIF. Plug your DAC directly to the PC via USB and you should be able to play DSD without conversation.

Hi Bitracer … I noted your advice re: Musical Fidelity DAC connection. I have just connected my Windows 10 via usb directly to my M6 DAC but I can find to reference in Audirvana. It doesn’t appear to recognise the DAC. Any suggestions?

If you click on the speaker icon in the lower right corner, you don’t see it there?

Screenshot 2020-12-03 at 11.18.35

Hey Bitracer, Thanks for the speedy response. I followed your sage like advice and now have music!! The sound however is only PCM 384 khz getting to the DAC. Still no magic DSD I’m afraid. Maybe I need to upgrade the ASIO driver? Any thoughts? Cheers. Griffo

Just select DSD over PCM 1,0 (DoP) and try again.

Thanks, I will try that! But it seems like when I’ve done that before, it will play DSD files in 128 and 256, but for reason not 64? So I get frustrated, and put it back to convert to PCM. Any advice on how to change the settings?
Wait, I just changed it back to USB, and now it struggles to play and DSD file and even some others.
I may have to just do it the way it was before, with the SPDIF or Optical.

This topic was automatically closed 375 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.