Network Switch

It does on that specific port, but nowadays most of the streamers also have gigabit ethernet ports. That’s mostly because gigabit is today a default and there are also benefits of having a faster network access. It’s not needed strictly for the audio stream , but comes handy when the streamer needs to index external library, run firmware upgrades or if the streamer has local storage, to import the content.

You won’t find much in terms of objective measurements but plenty of subjective impressions.

We devolved as audiophiles with the notion that our systems are only as good as the weakest link in the chain. Before the streaming became a thing it was easy to control the whole chain. With the streaming in the picture, it’s impossible to control the whole delivery chain. But maybe, just maybe, it’s not necessary. Plus you have to draw the line somewhere.

Very true; thanks much for sharing your thoughts

@bitracer @kvm … However, we do know that using optical links at key points in the system configuration will mitigate potential RFI and EMI related problems, due to ground-loops in a given Ethernet distribution system design…

We also know the quality of the power-supply has impact on the performance of digital-audio components…
:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

It does, but does it have effect on network devices (routers and switches)?

Maybe… I use ferrite beads on my DC power-supply cables… this is an inexpensive approach to mitigate noise potentials being introduced into the clock/gate topologies…

Exactly.
It’s necessary to power all the devices that are located in the streaming setup after the optical isolation with linear or regulated power supplies, including the switch.

Good luck with that.

Why do you say that?
It’s not difficult.

I’m not powering my router and switches with linear power supplies, that’s just nuts. Few ferrite cores won’t make a difference.

You don’t have to power with LPS the router, and the whole LAN of your home. This is a huge task.

What you need to do is to create a “clean zone” in the LAN in which is located the endpoint.
You do it like that:

LAN (in which is located the computer that serves you to stream with Audirvana) > Optical isolation > Clean zone of the endpoint.

The optical isolation eliminates all the noise of the LAN. Now you need to secure low noise floor level in the clean zone. So, all the devices of the clean zone must be powered by LPS or RPS.

What do you have in this zone?
A media converter (optical Ethernet to electrical Ethernet) + a switch (it’s an option, you can connect the media converter directly to the streamer) + Streamer + DAC + Preamp/amp.

Very often, the streamer, the DAC and the Preamp/amp have already a good power supply, but it’s not always the case.

There is only one “audiophile” grade media converter on the market and that’s opticalRendu (which is discontinued, if I’m not mistaken).

This might make sense if you have 50K setup and up. Below that, I really wouldn’t bother

If you must, just get a cheap 10/100Mbit FastEthernet switch and power it with the iFi 5V power supply.

You don’t need the Sonore OpticalRendu. This is a waste of money. It’s good for lazy people who buy an out-of-the-box solution.

You can use any media converter from Amazon that will cost you €30-€40 at most. These devices are usually powered with 5V. The 5V/1A output of the Shanti (or another good LPS) will do the job, and you’ll have the equivalent of the Sonore OpticalRendu.

I doubt that by changing the power supply it will make much difference, but hey, I’d like to hear what actual experiences are.

The power supply is important.
These are things that I apply to 3 endpoints for a few years now, and I tried many things. So you can believe me that I know what I’m talking about.
But if you want to spend €700 for the OpticalRendu + €700 for its LPS, go for it.

It’s like the audiophile switches that are scandalously expensive devices for audiophiles who are ready to pay the money.

A model like these two media converters will do the job, and it costs only €47.

Connect the first one (electrical to optical) to your LAN. Power it with the standard PS that comes with it, but not on the same strip as your audio gear.
Connect it to the second media converter with fiber of the length that you want.
Power the second converter (optical to electrical) with a 5V LPS on the same strip as the audio gear. Connect it to your streamer with a RJ45 cable.

You’ll get immediately a very nice improvement of the SQ.

You can even do better.
Order the converters from Amazon with a cheap iFi iPower 5V like this one:

If you are not satisfied with the improvement of the SQ, you can always send the devices back to Amazon, and get a refund.
If you are satisfied with the improvement, send back to Amazon only the iFi iPower to get a refund. And buy a better LPS to get an optimized result.

That’s fine, but I doubt that the power supply will make any difference here.

You will get an improvement even without the power supply.
But if you create a “clean zone”, you should not introduce to it a noisy device that will pollute it.
The regulated PS will keep the noise level of the media converter low, and you’ll get an additional improvement.

Otherwise, the media converter will stream noise to the network player at the same time as the sound.

I actually have 2 Mikrotik devices with SFP ports. I just need 2 SFP optical modules.

My setups are not high end enough to justify this level of heir splitting measures, but one of these days I might get motivated enough to try it.

You can do the same with the devices that you have already. You only need to buy SFP modules for them, and that’s all.
Regarding, the power supply, it will benefit your audio setup whatever is its level. But it’s always better if you can buy it with the possibility to return it, and get a refund, if are not happy with it.