No DSD output via optical

I’d love to use COAX, but my amp doesn’t have a COAX input… any way to work around that?

Oh snap, he’s trying to use toslink, I was somehow thinking spdif.
What is the DAC that’s referred to, this is some kind of interface only…….right?

1 Like

@RunHomeSlow , it’s set at DoP, so not a PCM file

@OffRode I tried convert to PCM, no luck.

1 Like

What exact type and specifications are the file you are attempting to playback?

What amplifier are you using? just curious

DSD64 and DSD128 the sources are sometimes .dsf files, sometimes .iso

• PCM: 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz, 176.4KHz, 192KHz, 384KHz (384K is only for IIS output)
  • DSD: 2.8MHz(DSD64)-DOP, native / 5.6 MHz (DSD128) -DOP, native / 11.2 MHz (DSD256) , native
  • Bit width(highest): 32 bit (I2S output) / 24 bit (S/PDIF), compatible with 16bit

384khz only for IIS output?
You should disable all upsampling in Audirvāna first thing I’m going to guess?
You’re probably going to come to the realization that you need a proper DAC, this isn’t one at all. If you could return this for a refund and put a few more dollars towards a topping or iFi proper DAC with analog output to feed your amplifier via rca or xlr you’d be way ahead………just my opinion based on what I read so far.

My amp is KB 62 from Teufel, a german brand

@Kamin68 TOSLINK is typically limited to a maximum of 192kHz… My bet is this DAC only supports up to PCM 96kHz on TOSLINK, not DoP@bitracer has already layed-out the issue… DSD128 requires a DoP 1.1 PCM carrier signal of 384kHz…
:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

1 Like

I’m new to all this so forgive my next very dumb question:
Using analog RCA input from a DAC… Am I not losing in quality?
I am more than willing to change my DAC for a better one…

1 Like

DAC is technically a “Digital to Analog Converter” your interface is missing the analog output part of the equation. A proper DAC analog output inserted into your receiver via the Auxiliary input will probably produce a best case result.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-dac/

Something along these lines would be a better way to get involved with computer audio especially if you want to play with dsd.

If your budget allows, perhaps some others will weigh in some other options. @Reynaldo has tested many different DAC models lately and can perhaps get you on track for a nice entry level model.

3 Likes

I’m looking at your solution… those DAC are awsome… I might go for it

@Agoldnear Yes I looked it over on the website, looks like a basic receiver. Has a open aux input, honestly looks like a Denon or a pretty good copy huh?

This is why I’m recommending to use it as an amplifier only and let a proper DAC do the computer work.

https://res.cloudinary.com/lautsprecher-teufel/image/upload/w_100/v1629891926/products/Kombo_62/Teufel-manual-v2-KB_62_CR-20210303-EN-web.pdf

Forget using TOSKLINK on this…

1 Like

@Agoldnear I believe you, but can you explain why Toslink isn’t good on this receiver?
RCA input is better then?

@Kamin68
Modern DACs manage DSD64 DoP through the optics.
But the ideal is to use the USB.
A DAC that I’m using right now, very complete and at a good price, is the SMSL DO200 MKII.

1 Like

@Reynaldo it looks great.

What I don’t understand is why my DAC won’t play DoP. I know it’s not the best DAC, but it is plugged via USB to my Mac and should be able to play DSD files via DoP. Shouldn’t it?

• Sampling rate supported:
    PC-USB: 24bit / 192KHz
    Coaxial / Optical: 24bit / 192KHz

You still didn’t select “none: convert to PCM”. Try to select that option and try again. It should work.

1 Like

@bitracer

I tried it and didn’t work.