No sound when playing DSD files

After a few years of perfect functioning, this problem just appeared a few weeks ago. BACKGROUND: I’m using Audirvana 3.2.18 on Mac OS10.10.5. My Audirvana prefs list my DAC as the selected output device and also show “DSD over PCM Standard 1.0”; the DAC is also selected in my Mac’s sound preferences; and the DAC shows as the output device in Audio Midi Setup. BUT, as soon as I click the Audirvana “play” arrow on any file, my Mac sound preferences change to “internal speakers” and so does the Audio Midi output selection. NEVERTHELESS, that arrangement plays PCM files (via USB out to DAC) at all sample rates (according to my DAC) but when I try to play DSD files, there is no sound even though the files show as playing. DAC is Musical Fidelity MX-DAC. I would be grateful if someone could explain what is going on and how to get Audirvana working properly again.

What’s the resolution of the file you’re trying to play?

Thanks for responding, bitracer. Resolution is DSD64. (I haven’t tried DSD128 since this problem developed.)

Update Audirvana to the latest version. Could you dump here the debug info?

Bitracer: Here is everything that came up when I clicked “Debug info . . .” in Audirvana Preferences:

Audirvana Plus rev. 3.2.18 (3702) debug information:
running on Mac OS X 10.10.5 with 16384MB RAM

User preferences:
Remote control: IR: on, Media Keys: on (with volume control: on)

Playlists
Use UTF-8 for all: on
Start playback at launch with audio file: on

Volume knob control in rotation axis

Sample rate converter
iZotope SRC with no forced upsampling
Polarity inversion: global=off, per track=on

Volume control
DAC preferred, else SW
Max volume limit = 100.0%

AudioUnits not in use

SysOptimizer enabled:
Priority: Extreme
Spotlight: on
TimeMachine: on
iDevices USB: on

iTunes settings:
iTunes integrated Mode: off
Completely deactivate iTunes playback: on
iTunes volume control: active
iTunes play position control: active
iTunes safe factor: 1

Library settings:
Sync list : 1 folders
Manual (2020-01-18 03:36:18 +0000): /WD Music January 2019
Database path: /Users/robertbruce/Library/Application Support/Audirvana
iTunes Synchronization: inactive

Audio settings:
Hog Mode: on
Direct Mode: on
Integer Mode: on Mode 1
Max Mem for audio buffers: 13312MB
Max Sample rate limit: None
Sample rate switching latency: None

Direct Mode audio path

Preferred device: MX DAC USB 2.0 Audio Out Model UID:MX DAC USB Audio 2.0:25B0:0024 UID:AppleUSBAudioEngine:MX DAC:MX DAC USB Audio 2.0:0000:1

Active Sample Rate: 96kHz
Hog Mode is off
Selected device:
Local audio device
ID 0x26 Built-in Output Manufacturer:Apple Inc.
Model UID:AppleHDA:82 UID:AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,0,1,1:0

4 available sample rates up to 96000Hz

Audio buffer frame size : 29 to 4096 frames
Current I/O buffer frame size : 512
Physical (analog) volume control: No
Virtual (digital) volume control: Yes
Auto-detect MQA devices: No
Not a MQA device, user set to not MQA
DSD capability: DSD via PCM 1.0
Preferred stereo channels L:1 R:2
Channel bitmap: Ox3, layout:
Channel 0 mapped to 0
Channel 1 mapped to 1
Number of channels: 2
Use as stereo device only: No
Simple stereo device: Yes

1 output streams:
Number of active channels: 2, in 1 stream(s)
Channel #0 :Stream 0 channel 0
Channel #1 :Stream 0 channel 1

Stream ID 0x0 2 channels starting at 1
12 virtual formats:
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Float 44.1kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Float 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Float 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Float 96kHz

12 physical formats
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 16 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 16bit 44.1kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 16 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 16bit 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 16 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 16bit 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 16 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 16bit 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 20 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 44.1kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 20 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 20 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 20 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 44.1kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 96kHz

Local devices found : 1
Device #0: ID 0x26 Built-in Output Manufacturer: Apple Inc. Model UID: AppleHDA:82 UID: AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,0,1,1:0

UPnP devices found : 0

Bitracer, I am not perfectly sure, but for what it’s worth, this problem might have shown up shortly after I signed up for a Qobuzz account and accessed it (once) through Audiirvana. After that, I have always accessed Qobuzz through their desktop app. Streaming output preferences on Qobuzz remain set at “core audio [and then my DAC name].” Again, thank you for your help!

I should add that Qobuzz has never given me the output device option of selecting my DAC without having the DAC’s name preceded by “core audio.”

Disable the volume control.

Hmmm. Still no sound. I went to Audirvana preferences, audio volume, and saw three selection options: DAC Only, DAC if available else software, and software only. It was set at DAC if available, so I changed it to software only and then to DAC only. Still no sound while DSD file appears to be playing. What next?

In the DAC settings, audio volume section, make sure that the max audio volume limit is 100% and software volume control is disabled.

In Audiorvana+ preferences, audio volume submenu, the “volume control type” is “DAC only” and the “maximum volume level” is set at 100%. A box just to the right of the max volume level bar says “0db,” for what that is worth. Still no sound. (I do not see any other way to adjust DAC settings. Am I missing somethingt?)

For this to work you need to output bit perfect stream. Maybe iZotope is interfering with this.

Consider upgrading to the latest version. It’s a free upgrade I believe. Not sure if your version is fully compatible with Catalina.

OK. Do you mean upgrading to AV 3.5 or to the latest version of Mac OS? Unfortunately, in the meantime, things here have taken a turn for the worse, and it might be an issue with my computer or DAC: After my last set of adjustments to Audirvana’s “volume control type,” I am having the same problem with all music files in Audirvana: they appear to be playing but there is no sound. Further adjustments to “volume control type” do not change that. Neither does restarting DAC and Audirvana. Also, just discovered that now I have same problem with Tidal and Qobuz. No sound. DAC works well playing CDs from a transport and coax cable Hmmm. Will try restarting my computer and see what happens. This might not be an Audirvana problem.

FYI, I also tried using a different USB cable w/no luck

Audirvana, you can do this for free if I remember well.

Hmmm. Restarting the computer helped. Everything works fine now. I have been reluctant to upgrade to AV3.5 because I understand I would need also to upgrade my OS and would likely lose “Direct Mode” functionality, which I (superstitiously?) believe to improve sound quality. I just looked unsuccessfully on the Audirivana site for 3.5 system requirements. Can you send me a link? And, thank you very much for working with me on the sound problem. I should have tried that solution before writing to you. Best, Bob

There is a way to keep direct mode. Search the forums, also for the link to upgrade.

To get your free upgrade, you need to enter your license key on https://audirvana.com/upgrade-3-5/

You need to have at least MacOS 10.11 to run Audirvana 3.5

I have been facing regarding the same circumstances.I want to include that I am unable to reset blue tooth in my macbook Air.I have tried out the following configurations as guided by the iMessage not working on Mac​​ .I have tried out following this
After Holding and pressing the Shiftkey + Option (Alt) keys on your Mac’s keyboard, click the Bluetooth symbol in the top-right corner of the macOS menu bar. …
Located the revealed Debug submenu and hover your mouse cursor over it.
Then Clicked Reset the Bluetooth module.
After that restarted the mac.
Suggest us if we have to include anything.