OSx Compatibilities for new Audirvana Studio?

I have been looking but ran out of time. Can I please have a list of requirements to run Audirvana Studio on a Mac? Please provide a list of Apple OS X on which the new software will work?

Never mind - I found it:

• macOS

Minimum :

OS X 10.13 (High Sierra) or later

4GB RAM

Recommended :

8GB RAM

I’m on Catalina and managed to install and run it for a day. It’s not been working at all since and crashes on startup. 3.5 works fine on this machine. I suggest downloading it and giving it a shot to find out. I tried everything I could for days and even sent a support ticket but got no reply.

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System…
When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there,
just do a ‘‘cmd J’’ to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom…
click Show Library Folder and then you’ll have access to the rest forever.

Go in Audirvana preferences panel, then remove your database(s) there
(all the folder(s) of music you have there) delete them with minus sign.

Close Audirvana.

Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder…
Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up! or not)
If you have v3.5 sqlite before don’t trash it, but put it somewhere else…
just trash AudirvanaDatabase.sqlite (that one is from Studio version), trash it.

Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Preferences…
trash com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.plist and com.audirvana.Audirvana.plist
in that folder (those are A+ software preferences, back them up or not)
copy those two somewhere else… they are the v3.5 prefs.
trash this one: com.audirvana.Audirvana-Studio.plist

So, now, no database in prefs panel, no database .sqlite in Application folder,
no more preferences in Mac preferences folder.

Restart Mac, Restart Audirvana Studio… apply trial period again i guess…
tell it where is your music folder… let it sync… then after analyzing start… let it finish…
leave Mac open even for 3 days if really big database… or just see again if it crash on startup :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the information. Support tickets come slowly, I know. Frustrating. What version of 3.5 are you running on Catalina? (I have a Mac mini with 3.5 installed but not the current update. It runs version 3.5.43 and is running well. If the latest update breaks stability, I would prefer not to update).

I was running 3.5.43 also on a retired 2009 Mac Pro that had its OS X upgrade cycle end with Mojave. It worked GREAT as a dedicated music server - no issues. Then that computer finally failed after 12 years of never being shut off but for when I was out of town. I have a 2014 Mac Pro (“the trash can” style), on which I can use as a music server but for now it serves as a back up photo editor if needed to my work computer. But I found the SQ better than the Mac mini when using my 2010 MacBook Pro with a SS drive as a server. I can only assume that working through the battery, and not directly connected to the wall AC helps in SQ - but who knows, The mini also has a SS drive and has a special custom made Audio AC cable - but still, I prefer the laptop and will likely stick with laptops in the future - I also hooked up the laptop with two new Jitterbug FMJ USB devices and the sound is very acceptable for my ears. The thing is on that 2010 MacBook Pro - the OS X is maxed at El Capitan and Audirvana is capped at version 3701 (audirvana + 2.6.11). And guess what? it sounds pretty good. I miss some of the functionality and UI of 3.5… but, perhaps, when the new M1 or M.x Mac Pros or iMac Pros are released by Apple, I will try my MacBook Air M1 running Big Sur (or whatever the OS X will be at that time) with the newest version of 3.5. But I like the options of a build to load, owning the perpetual license and using Audirvana as a music player that can also play my Qobuz subscription. I prefer the sound of Qobuz through Audirvana over the Qobuz player… but hey - guess what? If Audirvana fails, I am fine using the Qobuz player and stream my music. Which by the way, doesn’t sound as good even through Audirvana as playing my purchased high Rez uncompressed music locally in Audirvana from my external hard drives. But end of day, regardless of arguing SQ, I just want my music in the atmosphere… and if Audirvana ceases to provide that in a stable and cost effective manner - there are other players and other options.

Hey Damien, if you are reading these forums, I suppose here is one of the arguments for owning the software with a perpetual license over the new subscription model. It is after all a music player – and maybe Audirvana can offer two products - the music player (that still works with streaming services, for me it’s Qobuz) and a second product that acts as iTunes (a music player plus radio/podcast streamer and content provider, etc). Really - I am already subscribed to Qobuz - I have iTunes (comes with every Apple device), and Amazon Prime offers Music too – don’t need another audio subscription. A lot of info there… I hope that helps with ideas for ways to implement Audirvana… if all else fails, there is JRiver… :wink: (yes, I think Audirvana sounds best… but just saying - great sound is useless if the software doesn’t work or becomes something else unnecessary, unreliable, inflexible, and perhaps cost prohibitive. Even Adobe started offering past versions for download in tis subscription model…which is a good thing since their latest photoshop release is a complete failure with so many essential operational problems like saving and the pen tool issues that the only thing Adobe has to offer as a fix for the past 6 months has been to install a previous version that works-- just mentioning this as a flaring problem with the subscription model - sadly software versions get rushed out for the sake of the new features and contemporary relevance to the competition and the subscribers become the beta testers since they are a trapped consumer— it is a sad situation when things become bad). And we all know, there will be more brands to arrive in the future as more people seek better music players.

1 Like

So problematic. :frowning:

No probs at all. I’m running the very latest version of 3.5 on Catalina and it works perfect. It is a 2009 MBP that I used Dosdude1 patcher to get Catalina running. It also runs my Plex server and is flawless. This MBP is hooked up to my listening system. Only I can’t run Studio anymore even though it worked pretty well for 1 day. I’ve tried all the usual methods to fix but nada.
I also have both 3.5 and Studio running great on a 2009 Mac Pro that runs my small recording studio which is my work as a sound designer/composer. Also a flawlessly working machine. I’m running all the latest updates. I’ll try again with the next update to get Studio running on the MBP but I might soon get a 2014 Mac Mini for Plex and Studio on my Hi-Fi. Also hoping I don’t have to jump through the current hoops to get AS running on 2 machines.
Excuse all the running. Haa.

No problem at all - I am fascinated hearing how people implement their tech and software for various use. Truly it helps not to have to do all the trial and error alone and wonder if my own repurposed equipment is just a poor man’s solution, or what it is that is not working, and what is working well with others. As it is often, the older equipment (especially these older Macs that earn their price for how long they continue to perform) doesn’t have much resell value after a certain point, yet they still perform. My older Apple equipment is almost all repurposed with my main work machines being the newer technology to work with the software upgrades. In fact this last round I chose to lease instead of buy. And that new M1 Mac mini has some great performance reviews (in some cases out performing the newest base model Mac Pro). Anyway - what you just shared is a super big help to hear and cool to hear we have been using similar computers with 3.5 success. Should I try installing Audirvana 3.5 on the El Capitan MacBook Pro? Or is El Capitan just not compatible - honestly I am surprised how good 2.6.11 is sounding – and it doesn’t violate the two machine install license restriction since it is on one computer and two other machines are running 3.5 :wink: Maybe that’s a glitch? Do wish that two machine license model would be relaxed though. I just looked online and saw someone running 3.5.11. on El Capitan… so, maybe I have an old 3.5.11. installer laying around somewhere. :slight_smile:

Well I’ve managed to get AS running again on my 2009 MBP running Catalina. Currently doing the track analysis so I’ll wait till tomorrow to actually play some music.
Lefever, you could try High Sierra on your machine that I did for quite a few years. 3.5 worked great. I only just recently upgraded to Catalina because I got bored I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion, Gonzbull !

1 Like

Hi,

I’m new here, though I have been using 3.5 for a couple of years, initially with a 2012, and now a 2014 Mini, and trying to avoid getting involved with Studio; I’m with you all the way on being able to buy a perpetual license!

I’m interested, but not too surprised, to hear that at least on battery a Mac Pro beats a Mini (I assume unmodified). I’m a big fan of Minis , but the big problem for audio with the Mini is the electronic dirt which the standard SMPS power supply puts out (and for this reason your audiophile AC cable might not be doing much). In the olden days (2009 and earlier), this was relatively easy to fix by replacing the old Apple brick PS with an external Linear Power Supply (LPS). Back in those days I had spent a long time comparing various mac computers to my then Linn Genki CD, but the CD won every time. However, when I added a small LPS to an early Mac Mini, things were reversed, even when the Genki became an Ikemi, and since then I have rarely used CDs. Even for SACDs, the sound from a rip of theCD track on the Mini beats the SACD from my Oppo player.

Life became more complicated when the Mini changed form in 2010 and incorporated the SMPS inside the box, but with help from iFixit it is possible to get around this. If you want to get the best you can out of Audirvana you might want to investigate this route; the difference is spectacular, but a good LPS is not cheap, nor is it particularly easy to gut the Mini, so the first thing to do would be to find, and listen to, somebody else’s modified Mini.

You can find a lot about this on Audiophile Style pages. Some people object to this approach, and to other hardware items to go between the computer and the DAC, on the grounds that they have bit-perfect transmission; the problem is not the bits, but their precise time location, which has a big influence on the sharpness of the audio image.

2 Likes

Hello @BobL ,
Can you elaborate please on the power supply solution that you use for your mini?

Hello, @BobL & @Doudou Thanks for all that great information and history. My mini is late 2012. I too would like to know how to modify it for cleaner audio. What kind of LPS do you recommend and where can one find it? I found this on iFixit: Mac mini Late 2012 Power Supply Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide though I can’t say I would trust myself to the task, there may be someone local who can do the service if I supply the new part. Sadly I don’t know anyone with a modified mini… in fact, I am the only one I know of locally with any lean toward higher fidelity.

Hello @lefever

I have two MBP. They have heir Appl external power supply, and they run on battery.
In addition, I have a M1 Mini for two months. This Mini sounds very good with all my players, better than the Intel MBP, though it runs on its own original built-in power supply.

I was wondering what power supply @BobL uses for his mini.

I also use an old version of Audirvana Plus on one of my MBP (a 2008 Duo Core MBP) running El Capitain.
With this version of OSX, Audirvana plays in Direct mode, and the sound very good.

Hi Lefever and Doudou,

It has taken me a couple of days to get back to this- sorry, but I wasn’t expecting the level of interest. For the last few years I have been using a Paul Hynes SR5 (unfortunately no longer available- he used to hand-assemble these on a remote Scottish island, and I think the logistics got too difficult).

LeFever, If I ever have to replace my LPS I would go for the Uptone Audio JS2. made by Alex Crespi in California, about US$ 950,+ shipping and import duties.

He does have a UK agent, but post-Brexit that may not be of much help to you, if, as I guess, you are located in France.

On what experience I have, the 2012 and 2014 Minis are the best for modifying in this way, for several reasons, mostly connected with Alex Crespi and other useful gadgets and ideas of his.

I agree that the iFixit instructions, and particularly the user comments, are pretty terrifying; it is nerve-wracking to do, and needs considerable patience. However I did manage this on my 2014 ,at the relatively young age of 84, and with restricted vision, so it can be done!

You might find larosita:
https://www.larosita.fr/copie-de-mac-mini-fr
interesting- I know nothing about the quality of their power supply, but they give the impression of knowing what they are talking about, and they have a Mini modification service. Alternatively, I will be disposing of my converted 2012 machine- I’ll send you a private message about that, with a bit more detail about the Alex Crespi things I have found useful.

Since I’ve been so happy with my own LPS, I haven’t paid much attention to others, but there is an interesting comparison of several at

It’s quite enthusiastic about both the JS2 and the old Pul Hynes SR7, the bigger version of mine,

However, it is not specifically about computer LPS, but much more about powering conventional audio gear. The problem for sellers of LPS in this area is that any decent designer of mid- to high-end audio is well aware that power supplies need careful attention, so here the gains for the listener ore incremental, at least in my experience. I do have LPS on my DAC and headphone amplifiers, and they make a useful difference. However computers are built for a mass market, not for audio, so the potential gain for the listener is much bigger.

If you’re really concerned about how “silent” your source is, you’re better off with a dedicated USB bridge like Allo USB Bridge:

https://allo.com/sparky/usbridge-signature-pcb.html

You can buy a linear power supply for it and you’re good to go. It will always be more “silent” than a high powered computer, no matter how you power it.

Great thread regarding gear (despite being a thread about Audirvana). I appreciate hearing what @BobL and @bitracer have to say. Bob, I will be checking out your private message. And I am not in France (though I love France), I am in Las Vegas, NV USA.

From my own investigations on the matter, I also find this solution to be very attractive with the Shanti power supply. And I’m going to buy it.
In addition, the Shanti has a double power supply output. One for the streamer, and the second could power a DAC, for instance.