Output to wav?

Hi there!

Is there a way to save the final Audirvāna sound output to wav or something?

Reason for this: I’d like to be able to compare two versions of the same song which, well, should sound the same – but don’t. Could be interesting to have a look at »Audirvāna-produced« wavs of them.

Thanks

1 Like

It should work with a virtual cable.
You’ll need to select the virtual cable as the output of Audirvana, and set the cable as a source for an application that can record the stream.

1 Like

Is that some software app?

Yes
VB-Audio Virtual Apps

2 Likes

My post did not refer to a specific application, but to utilities who perform such task.
There are plenty, free, apps for macOS and Windows that do that.
Search ‘virtual cable’, Google is your friend.

1 Like

@Audi100 ,
The app that @AndyLubke recommended to you is good.
There’s another one that I recommend, named: ‘BlackHole’.
It performs as a virtual cable both for 2ch audio, and for multichannel (5.1 and more).
It’s a donation ware. (You can use it for free, and you pay a small donation if you want to do it.)

OK – I found it not possible to make Adobe Audition (my standard audio stuff app) interact with VB-Audio virtual cable :cry:

Will give BlackHole a try now.

Is the source material you try to compare coming from streaming?

One is local, the other via stream.

It took me nearly a day to manage to perform that wav comparison, and so far I did not find any noteworthy differences on that basis. So maybe it was only me believing to hear any.

When there are audible differences between two sourcefiles that should contain relatively identical content, imho this difference is hardly ever visible in the frequency domain.
Much more likely could there be differences in the correlation between left and right channel leading to a difference in perception of the stereo image, which is something the ear/brain is pretty sensitive to.

There’s some nice way with Adobe Audition to compare the two wavs, with one of them being inverted before. Playing both versions then at the same time lets you »hear« only any existing differences :sunglasses:

It sounds like what you’re looking for is decompressing a flac file to a wav. This can be done easily for your own compressed files with an external program, I use the free Foobar2000 for that. If you’re talking about streaming, I’ve been asking for a player that downloads tracks ahead of time, decompresses them to a temporary file on a hard drive, and then plays that, for optimum performance with no noise. That way, it actually would be playing the original versions of tracks, uncompressed, and locally, all the time. Uncompressed local files should be your reference for proper sound playback.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.