Play DSD on M1 Max

Again, it is going to depend on the FIR filtering applied to the signal… I have four different FIR settings available on my UD-501 that I can apply… The UD-501 is only capable of 384kHz so I’m limited to DSD128, and I don’t have the software conversion to modulate DSD64 to DSD256 if I wanted to… The Nyquist of DSD64 is out there around 1,400kHz so the filtering can be very extended with a slow roll-off, even more so with DSD128… :wink:

Exactly, you listen to what sounds best within the limits of your gear.
That’s fine, and you should be aware of it.

I’ve done this… I prefer to modulate all PCMxxx to DSD128… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Because it sounds best within the limits of your DAC, but not because you reached an objective sweet point.

Honestly, I didn’t understand what would be the improvement in doing all this conversion…

1 Like

I employ the FIR filtering in the UD-501 in concert with the r8Brain converter filter settings…

1 Like

Gotta agree I do like this setup with my pro-ject DAC on my headphones system, give it a try and let us know. I think it plays well with r8brain.

2 Likes

I also have FIR filters on two DACs. Yet, DSD256 sounds clearly better than DSD128, and even better than DSD64.

1 Like

You must understand the difference between PCM A/D and PDM (DSD) A/D and how the DAC responds in operation to the different signals in the conversion to analog output :wink:

1 Like

I don’t argue that a native DSD256 A/D will provide an audible difference in sound-quality to a native DSD64 A/D or DSD128 A/D… :sunglasses:

It’s what I wrote before, I don’t use any kind of conversion or upsampling.
But I’ll try anytime

1 Like

I don’t argue this point neither.
But it’s not the point that has been discussed.

The only downside is agreeing with the golden one :joy::wink::rofl:

4 Likes

Well… beyond the technical… it becomes subjective… I will say that there is no way to modulate DSD64 to any DSD Fs in Audirvana… no can do… I actually down-convert the SACD rips to PCM 352.8k and then modulate to DSD128 in Audirvana… I don’t have a reference for DSD256 on my playback system simply because of my DAC… :wink:

The good thing is that you agree or disagree but at the same time create a virtual friendship on hooby.
I’m referring to everyone who participates almost daily. :+1:

2 Likes

Rey, you off your medication? :upside_down_face:

Give that thing a test drive and let us know, I’ll be curious what you think :thinking:

1 Like

I am going to try

Hey Fabs, you making any progress? Don’t worry that the inmates are running amok on your topic. We’re all waiting to hear from you.

2 Likes

All this has nothing to do with a subjective perception.
For the same reasons that a 44.1 KHz track that you upsample to DSD128 sounds better with your DAC to its DSD64 upsampling, it sounds even better when it is upsampled to DSD256. A major factor is the reduction of noise.

1 Like

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like