Please List Your Setup That WORKS with Audirvana Studio

That’s why I said in my initial post that a reclocker is useful for a USB output “with most DACs”.

OK. Now I understand.
I was under the impression that this discussion was turning into absolutes :wink:

2 Likes

Yes you are right, but that does nog negate what I already said: When a DAC already has a very good word clock (= reclocker) and cache buffer system built in a separate reclocker is superfluous (in case of a asynchronous USB connection). Basically you are confirming what I already mentioned.

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:@AndyLubke …It doesn’t matter how good one might perceive the asynchronous transfer system of any given DAC is… If the data is corrupted, it is corrupted… the DAC only uses the data it receives…

“Jitter Theory” – Julian Dunn, Audio Precision
http://www.audiophilleo.com/docs/Dunn-AP-tn23.pdf

If data is corrupted any connection will have problems translating/reclocking it correctly be it an asynchronous USB connection or an i2s connection. Be it with a reclocker in a DAC or an external reclocker. I really do not see the point you are trying to make here.

Here’s the Ted’s take on this:

1 Like

To know if a reclocker is useful for a connection between a given DAC and a given computer or network player, the best is to try. And to do it while powering the reclocker with a good linear power supply.

1 Like

Who does not love PS Audio Ted :smile:

There is a video where Ted explains how PS Audio does USB, but I can’t find it.

You don’t need a re-clocker if on both sides you have USB. Better get a decent DAC with sound USB implementation.

Is the Qutest a decent DAC?

Yes, they “re-clock” the USB in the DAC. Similar to what PS Audio does.

Well, a friend of mine uses it with ISO Regen, because it improves the sound of his Qutest.

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:@AndyLubke …I’m just providing insights as to why galvanic isolation and optical interfacing and re-clocking and managing noise precipitated through ground-loops and ground-planes, RF and EMF noise, in a networked audio distribution scheme, will virtually eliminate data-related gremlins in the transmission-line, that influence the behavior of the end-point DAC.

I’d bet it’s more the electrical noise isolation, than clock related issues.

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:@bitracer … Electrical noise in the DAC system architecture will precipitate clock-interrupts that precipitate jitter…

But you don’t put an external USB signal re-clocker to fix that.

The reclokcer does not remove the noise of the computer, as an optical isolation does.
Anyway, his ISO Regen improves the sound of his Qutest when it is connected to a PC, and to a RBi4. When we connected his Qutest with the ISO Regen to an Allo USBridge Signature that I have, the correction of the ISO Regen was barelly audible.

EDIT
That’s why I say that the best way to know if a reclocker is useful in a given setup is to try.

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:@bitracer …The less the error-correction and packet reconstruction system circuit is employed and interrupted, the less less noise is propagated through the system architecture.

With galvanically isolated implementation you need the clock anyway as you need to recreate the USB signal on the other side.

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:@bitracer … My suggestions are focused on the mitigation of networked audio transmission-line gremlins that will precipitate unpredictable behavior(s) in any DAC system… When we get down to noise related jitter in the DAC architecture itself, theses influences will be intrinsically tied to the design of the DAC system architecture and how it manages noise related data corruptions.

1 Like