Prob with 24 bits 96khz files

Some DAC manufacturer do not want third party software to do the upsampling before sending to the DAC, therefore the DAC need to do it internally.

Ok. Makes sense. Many thanks for helping me with this, the 2 of you have been extremely responsive and couldn’t have asked for better support. I am impressed wth the support

Could you please clarify, how the DAC would ever know that signal is upsampled? What’s the difference between native 24/96 and upsampled 24/96 from 16/44?

Do the MIDI settings still need to be set in macos to go higher than 48khz?

Audirvana takes care of Midi setup when playing… you don’t have to do anything.

A native file at 24/96 is playing bit perfect through Audirvana…
A 16/44 file upsampled to 24/96 is not being played bit perfect,
and i think it will not sound the same as a native, because YOU set the settings
for the upsampling filters in Audirvana… so, if you don’t know like me how to set them…
don’t upsample, stay safe with bit perfect playing :slight_smile:

Sorry I was referring specifically to the quote below. My question is - how the DAC will know if Audirvana is sending the stream it has just upsampled or what it reads directly from the file. It should be identical (IMO).

Does it have to announce upsampling to the DAC, and if yes, then why?

More than recognizing it, some DACs choke on generated PCM. I’ve seen also DACs refuse to play if the polarity is invented.

So if I upsample and save it to file, DAC will then refuse to play it? Difficult to believe it.

The problem is that your dac, according to the specs from the user manual, do allow only 16bit input on usb (page 25, check ** note at the bottom)

Depends on the DAC. This is first troubleshooting step when you have issues, disable upsampling.

This topic was automatically closed 375 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.