Problem with DSD rates

Hi ,
i have an iMac with Mojave 10.14.6 installed and using my CD player Audiolab 8300CDQ as external DAC , I’m sure it can handle DSD256 …but in Audirvana Device menu it seems it can only play 64 and 128 .
Well , I mean … now I’m upsampling to DSD128 and all sounds very well but I would like to use all my DAC “power”…
I’m just trying to understand if my CD player is not well recognized by this software because Audirvana calls it Audiolab 8300cd which is another product … mine is 8300cdQ … and this “Q” is not a detail . :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I would appreciate very much if someone could help me.
…but thank you anyway!

have you selected the option 1.1 for dsd256 ?

yes … !

Try to play a DSD256. It doesn’t matter how your device is recognised.

Thanks … I’m dowloading a free sample from 2L … it seems I need some minute

Hello @flucan2001,

macOS is not able to send raw DSD streams. That’s why the DSD over PCM standard has been developed: to send raw DSD in a fake PCM stream.
To identify it as such, there are 8 bit markers in it.
And the presence of these markers doubles the need of bandwidth, thus explaining why on a mac only half of the max DSD rate is available.

Understand … I have to learn a lot about digital audio files … and I know … but if I want to force the upsample using this feature :

… why I can’t reach DSD256 ?’

… the DAC features :

I know that it’s boring explain … something obvious for you … but I’m trying only to understand … I absolutely don’t want you to loose time … you are very kind helping me !

Not only on macOS👿
BR
BB

Hello @flucan2001, it’s normal since as I stated above your post, MacOS can’t send Raw DSD. It’s not depending on Audirvana, it’s just the audio output of MacOS that can’t use the max frequency of your DSD DAC.

Same situation with my Audiolab M-DAC +.

Hi
I also have Audiolab 8300CDQ and DSD256 doesn’t work in MacOS. DSD256 works flawlessly in Windows 10 PC.
Cheers