Recently Played - playlist options to extend and automate

Hello there,

I’ve been a user now for several months. I have a specific issue:

I want an automatic ‘recently played’ playlist a bit like history that goes from session to session, ideally I’d like it to keep the last 100 files played before it’s overwritten automatically. I want it to appear in with my other playlists.

Thank you taking the time to read and I look forward to suggestions and pointers. I have a sneaky feeling my request is not possible.

You can not exactly make a playlist with the ‘last number XXX files’, but you can do something similar with ‘played in the last XXX days’.

You can make a ‘smart playlist’ (automatic playlist) in Audirvana and create a filter ‘Last Played later than XXX’ . This means that the playlist will automatically show all the tracks played within the last XXX days You can define any number of days you like, but in the example below I go with the number 30.

To do that click on Edit Playlists in Audirvana (see below):

Now the playlist editor appears. Click there on ‘Create Smart Playlist’: See below:

Now you will see a new playlist in the list called ‘New Playlist’. Select that playlist and than click on the filter editor (looks like a funnel) and the filter editor will appear. Click there on ‘Add Filter’. See below:

In the new filter change the values to ‘Last played Date’ + ‘Is later than’ + 30. The number 30 is in days. You can change that of course to whatever days you want.

Now you can close the filter editor (click X).

Now click right on the ‘New playlist’ you have just created and choose ‘rename playlist’. Rename it to ‘Recently played’ and press enter:

Now you can close the playlist editor too with the ‘X’ :

It is best to restart Audirvana after this (I saw a small bug in the update in My playlists).

When you now start Audirvana again and select ‘My playlists’ in Audirvana you will see your recently played playlist as well.

2 Likes

Hi AndyLubke,

Thank you very much for this very nicely laid out reply to my query. I really appreciate the time you have taken to do this.

I have been trying to do this for the past 2 hours and I simply cannot do this on my Audirvana setup.

I can create a new ‘smartlist’ but I am unable in the filter editor to see ; ‘Last Played Date’ I have a very shortlist of options comprisning:

Album
Album Artist
Album Rating
Artist
Bit depth
Composer
Conductor
Ensemble
File Type
Genre
Grouping
HiRes/MQA
Instrument
Number of Audio Chennels
Period
Rating
Sample Rate
Soloist
Style
Year

There are no options to Select ‘Last Played Date’ as I can see in your screen shot.

This is where I’m stuck!

Further after I have being trying everything I can to do this, I seem to have messed up the main display: I can only see my playlists as tiles in the main window, they used to be lsited on the LHS under ‘MY MUSIC’. Is there a reset to defaults options/factory settings, somewhere so I can put Audirvana back to what it used to look like. Or should I remove the App and re-load it?

Many Thanks

Is this what you want? mine will be not just 100 but all…

1 Like

After you done what is up there, put your playlist in Tracks View,
then you can add that column… see them as ‘last played’.
I should have written right click anywhere in the title bar to show options

1 Like

Thanks guys, some great ideas for me to try once I get my Audirvana back up. I decided to uninstall it and then re-install, in an attempt to get back to square one, but this was a big mistake as now:

1. The library is being rebuilt (will take about 8 hours, I have 120K tracks)…where does it keep this library, I thought it would just find the existing library once it was re-installed. I have a feeling it’s either writing over the previous library or it’s created a new one…I want to save disk space so if I could find out I may be able to delete the old one after it’s completed building the new one?

2. My Playlists are all GONE! :sob:…where does Audirvana keep those, why has it not found them automatically?

3. Any playlist I restore (which are very old and don’t have loads of tracks I’ve added later…I’m very upset by this loss :sob:) doesn’t appear under MyPlaylists as a list, instead they are tiles in the main window…this was the main reason I re-installed it.

When I’ve got over this very bad day, I’ll have another go at trying to create this smartlist, but it may be better for me to leave Audirvana alone and just use it like I had been…if I could only get back to where I was.

If you have an older .sqlite or a time machine or whatever on a PC,
close Audirvana,
put back the .sqlite backup at the same place,
restart Mac or PC, then backup playlist to restore if a bug occurred after… :slight_smile:

1 Like

i copy my .sqlite from my Mac everyday , take 10 seconds, maybe 30 for you :slight_smile: but if i see a fucked up then, i can restore, my playlist are all save individually and also with the backup of Audirvana, the resore works great usually but, it puts all playlist in track view mode… mine are all except 2 in tracks mode, so have to click 80 playlists around to be restored in album view :slight_smile: or :frowning:

1 Like

I could only find one .sqlite file so I guess the old one was over-written.

I’m now trying to find out where Audirvana puts the playlists, anybody have any idea? Maybe I could search for the file type but I don’t know what that is.

One other thing, how can I select all the tracks in a playlist and copy them to another playlist easily. CTRL A doesn’t work? I want to do this as it seems if I create a new playlist it appears correctly under My Playlists on the LHS, so my idea is to create a new set of playlists in the correct location and copy all the tracks over from the playlists that only appear as tiles/panes in the main window.

Many thanks

That’s a great idea, once I get back to something useable again I’ll be doing what you suggest daily even though it’s a pain as it will help avoid the distress I’m currently going through.

I am sorry you lost your playlists.
I believe in Audirvana they are stored in the *.sqlite file too. However there is an option in (the settings of) Audirvana to export and import your playlists. It is a bit late for you now of course, but next time export your playlists first and than you can import them again afterwards.

As @RunHomeSlow already mentioned: It is a good idea to regularly make a backup of your *.sqlite file.

1 Like

Thats nice :+1: I would like to have the last played playlist (or where I have added music) listed before all the others. Is that doable?

Rename it with a space at the beginning

Hi @Nostromo,

Everything is in the file AudirvanaDatabase.sqlite.

What I’m wondering tho is are you using a Mac or Windows?