There are simpler solutions such as mconnect HD that work perfectly.
I tried AS but was not convinced in the first place and was reluctant to enter this subscription scheme.
So I came back to 3.5 and faced, again, that problem of DB syncing that does not seem to end.
Two days ago, I tried to update my library by adding 6 new albums (on a total of 6000). That took several hours without results. I stopped it and tried to find which album created problems. Hard to tell without log file… Randomly I finally isolated the culprit.
After the end of that successful DB syncing (5 files out of 6 successfully ingested), I decided to try with a new set of files (20 new albums). Obviously I put aside a copy of my DB, just in case.
The process is now running for more than 4 hours and is still stuck in the 'Synchronisation" phase.
I don’t know what is happening: no error message, nothing is coming out, and apparently no progress.
With mconnect HD, files are copied to the NAS, and a few minutes after they can be played.
I’m in a way lucky as I know a few things about computer but I can imagine how painful it is for a music lover without any knowledge in computers.
It’s a pitty that the algorithm of DB syncing is not explained (What happens when the app displays “synchronisation’ with a full blue bar, and what happens later when the message “synchronisation of /xxx/XXX” is starting to appear with a moving blue bar showing progress”. Clear messages on what the application is doing are clearly missing there.
So, I finally subscribed to see if there are some improvement in AS. So far, nothing very much conclusive…