SQ improvements with Mac Upgrade?

The newer version (2.2) is optimized for the newest Mac hardware and software. Wondering is anyone has recently upgraded their Mac computer or OS and noticed an improvement in sound quality.

1 Like

2.2 was optimized for Monterey if i remembered well… fully optimized, fully working…
i don’t think the sound changed, and it was already mac native with m1 chip (now new ones have m2 chip)… i don’t have a new mac :slight_smile: and don’t care for it also :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, both 3.5.50 and AS are optimized for Apple Mx chips.
According to reports on this forum even 3.5.50 works perfectly with the latest Mac hardware and software.
There is at least one report from another forum that both upgrade to Mac Mx architecture and upgrade to a newer OS improves SQ.

Matt

2 Likes

Except that my M1 cuts off the ending of tracks when I run upsampling while running Voxengo AU units. (Voxengo says the problem is with Audirvana. I have been waiting for a month, now, because I was told they couldn’t test the problem because they don’t have an M1 Mac for figuring out the problem.)

1 Like

This question seems very familiar to me for some reason, anyway here’s what I posted on the other thread.

I’ve run a macmini i7 and MacBook Pro m1 with 3.5 and Studio, same streamers, DAC, headphone etc. I didn’t hear any difference between them. M1 blazing fast but otherwise both do the same job quite well. If you’re looking to improve your sound system quality you might be better off putting your resources elsewhere honestly.

1 Like

A report from another forum:

Matt

1 Like

I still have my ‘trusty old’ macbook pro ( 2012 ) upgraded to 16Gb ram, 2 x 1Tb SSD ( one is solely for music ) Very happy with it… Will keep for as long as possible because everything just works!

3 Likes

Same for me, I have a 2010 MBP High Sierra, 4GB RAM, running 3.5.50 :smile:

Matt

3 Likes

“Improved areas mainly are in instrumental texture & tonality, improved depth, improved bass, and its pitch, and separation”

Right :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks. My quandary has to do with not wanting to use my newer MBP (2019 i9) for music and keep using my 2012 i7 mini. If there is no difference with the increased computing power, then great! There are kludges that allow updating older macs to the latest OS and was wondering if that would improve SQ.

So two types of upgrades - hardware and software (OS).

(As a side note, a PC friend upgraded his laptop to a multi core i7 and says his SQ improved greatly. Just checking to see if that is a PC thing or if is applies to the Mac…)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.