Streaming to an M1 Mac Via UPnP/DLNA?

I have an M1 MacBook Pro, and for fun and experiments I thought I’d stream to a DAC attached to it via UPnP/DLNA. However, it appears that right now there’s no way to do this.

What you’d ordinarily do is install a UPnP/DLNA/OpenHome renderer on the Mac. But my go-to for this purpose, upmpdcli, isn’t supported on MacOS. There was a Homebrew recipe, but that doesn’t exist any more. One of the “usual suspects,” Kodi, doesn’t yet run natively on Apple silicon and I don’t want to fool with emulation. Foobar2000, strangely enough, runs on Apple silicon and does have a UPnP renderer, but it needs BubbleUPnPServer to turn it into an OpenHome renderer, and BubbleUPnPServer doesn’t run natively yet on Apple silicon.

I did find a UPnP-AV renderer that works perfectly on the M1 MacBook and uses few resources called Macast, but it’s apparently for video - it doesn’t recognize audio file formats.

I thought for half a second about installing a Linux partition on the MacBook, but Linux for Apple silicon is decidedly in the alpha stage right now AFAIK.

Anyone got anything else?

1 Like

I think you’ll find that most folks will ask the same question that I pose here: “Why?” … Why add the extra processing layer?.. You will find a lot of threads of folks using network endpoints to DAC configurations using Raspberry Pi devices or other network interface servers running software on the dedicated platform configured as UPnP renderers that Audirvana serves…
:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

Maybe I didn’t understand what you wanted to do… It seemed to me that you wanted to run some other application to manage UPnP in concert with Audirvana on the M1…

Sorry, was thinking this was the other thread. :joy: I’m the one who was confused, my apologies.

Regarding your question “Why?”:

• My computers are in my office and my system is in the living room, so a direct USB connection is not possible. However I do have fiber optic Ethernet running through the house, so I can directly connect that way via UPnP/DLNA. Currently that connection runs to a microRendu, and from there via USB out to my DAC.

• I’ll be switching at some point this year or next from the microRendu to a minicomputer that will allow optical Ethernet input (versus the microRendu that requires me to do a conversion because it only takes copper Ethernet). I’ll need to install a UPnP/DLNA renderer on that minicomputer so it can accept the stream from Audirvana. So I’m wanting to gain as much practice and familiarity with configuring and running a UPnP/DLNA renderer as I can before its arrival.

• I’ve already installed upmpdcli on Linux on my desktop and streamed to it from Audirvana Studio running on my MacBook Pro. However, due to a bug in the current beta of MacOS Ventura uncovered by Damien from a bug report I submitted, after playing for a period of time Studio crashes. I’d like to try streaming from Studio on Windows on my desktop to another computer running a UPnP/DLNA renderer to find if there are bugs affecting that configuration. The most convenient other computer to use would be the MacBook Pro, thus my question (though if installing a UPnP/DLNA renderer there proves impossible, I have an old minicomputer that may still work).

Sorry for all the detail, but that’s the explanation. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.