Stuttering at DSD 128 and DSD 256

I am getting stuttering at these higher sampling rates, from both upsampled and native files.

Damien suggested I check the loading bar is comfortably ahead of the progress bar. It is, so does not seem to be a problem with the 2.9 GHz i5 of my Dec 2016 MacBook Pro. He also said the DAC (recent Chord Hugo 2) may be getting hot at these high sampling rates. However, cannot detect this and this DAC is specified up to DSD 512.

Chord Electronics have yet to come up with any suggestions so I am wondering if there is an Audirvana setting that could be causing this? The first file I play in a given session also gives an initial click.

I have all kinds of problems playing 24/192 PCM and DSD64 from A+ v3 to the renderers in my Melco N1Z Mk. 1 and PS Audio Bridge II. I know it is not my gear because these files play fine when I use Linn Kazoo on the same MacBook Pro, and also when I use Bubble UPnP on my Android smart phone. I have given up on A+ for high-resolution files. I use it for CD rips and occasional TIDAL streaming only.

Are you using iZotope 64-bit SRC, or SoX, for the simple rate conversion? Mine did that with SoX, but not with iZotope. Please try it. It also happens with 96kHz and 192kHz, but not with 176.4kHZ (go figure!), so, it’s definitely a software problem.
I’ve just downloaded the 3.2.5 version, and it’s not solved yet :frowning:

I’ve made two videos trying to play a 96kHz file. One, using the iZotope, other, using SoX.

Using SoX:

Using iZotope:

I hope Damien fixes this as soon as possible, as I prefer the sound of the SoX.

I’m not certain if this will apply to your situation, but I had the same problem with constant stuttering while running DSD128 & 256 files into a Chord Mojo. After updating to Mac OS 13.2, I no longer experienced any stuttering. Works fine running files natively or using isotope/SoX to upsample.

"The macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.

  • Improves compatibility with certain third-party USB audio devices"

Using 2012 MBP Retina 16gb, Thunderbolt HD, Chord Mojo, Latest version of Audirvana.

Thanks for the tip, Ken. Unfortunately, in my case, the update didn’t solve it.

May sound simple–minded, but did you make sure you are using DSD over PCM standard 1.0 (per Mojo Manual, p.7) on the Preferences / Audio System pane? I’ve been experiencing lots of erratic behavior with my Mojo too, however most of my problems went away when I chose the right option for the DSD settings. Also, ticking the “Mute during sample rate change” option got me rid of a horrible cracking sound when DSD albums initialize.

MacBook Pro early 2015 / 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5 / 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 / MacOS High Sierra v.10.13.3.

Just wanted to make an update. Mine only fails when it’s multiples of 48 kHz, i.e. 96, 192, 384 or 768 kHz. If it’s multiples of 44.1 kHz, SoX plays it just fine. With iZotope, all resolutions play just fine. I sent a PM to Damien, but had no luck. Does anyone know what’s the best way to reach him?


I posted it as a possible bug, but to repeat here as this thread seems to be getting more replies:

A+ 3.2.6, INT and SysOpt on
Mac OS X 10.13.3
MacBook 2017 16GB RAM 1.4GHz Core i7
Music Library on external 1TB SSD
Marantz SA-10 USB-B async input to DAC

Tracks in DSD256 (.dsf) play with clicks and dropouts - and I can hear the relays in my DAC clicking in and out at the same time. The DAC reports it’s receiving DSD 11.2MHz, and A+ seems to mirror that.

DSD64 tracks appear to play correctly.

Any thoughts as to what is falling over here? I have tried adjusting A+ memory allocation, Native DSD Capability > DoP 1.0 and 1.1, but to no avail.

If I play the DSD256 tracks on another (more powerful) Mac through a non-DSD capable MF V90-DA, A+ reports 24/88.2kHz and no dropouts, if this is of any relevance/help.

Quick update: Although Damien hasn’t even seen my Private Message, when I updated to the 3.2.7 (3138) version, the problem was solved. In fact, it’s mentioned in the version upgrade description.

I think the update mentioned SOx conversion issue resolved - I still have stuttering with DSD256.

Yes, you are correct. Somewhere along the way, I thought our problems were correlated, but I’ve seen this is not the case, so I apologize for misleading you into thinking your problem was also solved.

For me, RESOLVED now by adding an iFi nano Galvanic 3.0 to the USB line, and with multi-position switch in “DC RF” position.

Stuttering still present in the other two switch positions.