Synthesis Roma DC14+ is DSD capable but Audirvana says it does not

Synthesis Roma DC14+ is DSD capable but Audirvana says it does not

It doesn’t really matter, you can still play DSD files. Just select DoP 1.0 or 1.1 and you’re good to go.

Thanks. What is Dop 1.0 and 1.1?

DSD over PCM. In your case DoP 1.0 should be enough.

Hello @ishavel,

macOS is not able to send raw DSD streams. That’s why the DSD over PCM standard has been developed: to send raw DSD in a fake PCM stream.
To identify it as such, there are 8 bit markers in it.
And the presence of these markers doubles the need of bandwidth, thus explaining why on a mac only half of the max DSD rate is available.

Thank you very much!

My observation confirmed by my wife, who has even better hearing in mine, is that Sonos via a Sonos connect sounds the same as this DSD download (over PCM). The two sources go into the same DAC and it’s the same music - Bartok’s Concerto for orchestra, Reiner. The DSD file from Acoustic Sounds is made from original master tapes. I know from experience with other music that the CD will sound better than Sonos streaming - no big surprise. I was hoping the high res downloads would be an improvement over CD.

I have the Classic LP of the Bartok – it is WAY better than the DSD or Sonos stream. I also have a 10.5 in 15 ips tape that is even better than the LP.