Tidal - Lags/crashes when streaming/browsing (A 3.5.3, Win10)

Hello!

I’m experiencing an issue with Audirvana 3.5.3 on Windows 10 when browsing/streaming from Tidal.

Tidal appears to be generally rather sluggish. When a new track starts, it makes everything very laggy (including my remote connection to the company’s server when I work from home; working while listening to shorter tracks becomes an exercise in frustration.) Sometimes, when clicking on a band or clicking play on a track, Audirvana starts playing the song but also becomes unresponsive for several seconds, as though it was crashing. If left alone, it keeps playing and resumes normal operation after a while, but it’s rather bothersome.

Reducing the amount of memory allocated for pre-loading tracks seems to reduce the issue, although even with this setting at the minimum the problem still occurs. “Use large WASAPI I/O buffer” does not appear to have an effect, whether on or off (I usually keep it on, though I’m unsure what it does.)

On occasion, Audirvana will also generate a crash report upon quitting. I’m happy to send these over for inspection, but I’ll need help finding them as the error message doesn’t say where they are being saved.

Any idea how to circumvent the lag/crash issue? It never occurs with my local library.

My computer specs:
i7 4790k
16Gb DDR3 2400Mhz
Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Thanks,
Andrea

Hello @AndreaColombo, can you send me your logs? It can be in two different locations :

1. C:\Users[your login]\AppData\Local\Packages\Audirvana.Audirvana-[… id number that can vary]\LocalCache\Local\Audirvana\Audirvana
  2. C:\Users[your login]\AppData\Local\Audirvana\Audirvana

you can send it by mail to support@audirvana.com

1 Like

Hi @Antoine,

Sent the logs over as requested.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

Kind regards,
Andrea

Hi @Antoine,

After sending my logs over, I was advised the problem could be caused by the Waves Q10 EQ plugin I’m using. However, the problem appears to persist even after disabling the plugin, or using a different plugin altogether. I’m not sure exactly why it runs smoothly for some time, then suddenly decides to lag or crash, but it happens pretty much every time I use Tidal.

It also seems to be downloading artist/album info multiple times; here’s a screenshot showing the biography for Avenged Sevenfold displaying twice:

By running Win10’s task manager alongisde Audirvana, I can see the program completely hogs my internet bandwidth when loading tracks in a way that the Tidal app wasn’t. Is it possible that Audirvana is trying to load stuff multiple times, thus clogging the bandwidth and that’s what makes it laggy/crashy? Perhaps it’s running out of resources.

Hello @AndreaColombo, we made an update earlier this morning that fix the bug in the screenshot above. Can you update your Audirvana to see if it resolve your issue?

1 Like

Hi @Antoine, thank you for your answer. The update has indeed fixed the text duplication issue.

I could drastically reduce the incidence of the lagging/crashing with the following:

• Enable real-time control for VST3 plugin

• Increase memory allocated to preloading tracks

Now Audirvana seems to lag only rarely and is not crashing on me—although it does say it quit unexpectedly every time I close it, and says it generated a dump file. I have no idea why that happens, but I guess I can live with it.

Hello @AndreaColombo, When you are quitting Audirvana, did you were wireless connected to your DAC?

Hi @Antoine,

My DAC is connected to my computer via USB; however, my internet connection is indeed wireless, if that makes a difference.

Kind regards,
Andrea

Can you send the report that being made when you force quit Audirvana? You can send it to support@audirvana.com