Transparency on what Studio is analyzing the library for

I don’t back up to the cloud automatically on every update. So both complete local backups have the IDs written to them, cloud backup does not. Should I download all my data from the cloud and incur overage charges from my ISP, and restore charges from my backup provider? How long should I then wait without listening to AS? Or should I not make a cloud backup for a while, defeating its purpose?

You need to think out your proposed solutions a bit more thoroughly to determine whether they actually solve people’s problems.

(Note that I’ve decided to allow the tagging. If I get close to overage, I can pause my backup program until the next billing cycle. But there may be others who can’t do this or don’t want to.)

Why this isn’t a valuable security for music files that change very little over time?
What could go wrong?
In addition, the drives are guaranteed by Seagate for 5 years of free of fee recovery in a case of a failure.
In addition, I have a compressed copy of the files on which the metadata is not up to date.
I still have all my vinyls, CDs and SACDs.
What do I need more?

An external hard drive, maybe?

1 Like

The RAID-1 drives are external drives.

Am I right in understanding that your RAID storage is not a NAS?
If so, I shall correct my suggestion:

A second external hard drive, maybe?

The reason I use a cloud backup is due to the possibility of fire or theft (or vandalism during theft). Low probability events, but so are most of the things that would cause data loss in the home.

This is just what I do personally - I’m not recommending you do it, simply mentioning it because you asked a general question about backup.

1 Like

What does it change?
First, a NAS is not necessary because these files are supposed to change very little over time.
And read what others who use NAS wrote here. They also have their backup affected because the scheduled backup to their NAS occurred before they noticed that the files were changed by AS.

It does not matter that your Raid storage is not a NAS, what matters is that you store a copy of your updated music files on another storage, in your instance, another external hard drive.
In logical terms, your RAID1 storage is 1 volume.
A backup is a copy of that volume to another distinct volume.

1 Like

My important data, professional and personal, is back upped to the cloud to two different servers.
But I see no reason to buck up on servers TBs of music files that for which I have copies.

I agree with you. And I told you already that I have another copy of all these files.
But this copy is not up to date regarding the metadata.

You are perfectly right, as it would cost you a lot of money.
Which is why I am suggesting you source a hard disk of a suitable size to store a copy of your up to date music files. That would be the most economical and practical solution.

2 Likes

Read my previous inputs. I have a copy on other drives. The metadata is just not updated very often on this copy.

I had noticed that, and you specified they were compressed and not up to date.
The fact that they were compressed suggested that the volume on which they are stored is not of a sufficient size to store all your music files. Is my assumption wrong?

The easiest way to remove the added MusicBrainz Recording ID tags in my opinion would be to make a simple action in Yate that removes the Recording ID tags for a file that has a modification date after whenever loaded your library into AV Studio. You can then take this action in Yate’s batch editor to check and correct all of your music files. If you have a backup of your music files, you can also use Yate’s Sync tool, which will make changes only to files that don’t match your backup files. I used it yesterday and it worked perfectly. It only changes the metadata of the files, it does not replace them with the backup files. You can also set Yate to not change the creation and modification dates of your files if you want so that the Syncing of metadata will not cause a backup to be triggered.

Yes you are assuming wrong.
I’ll explain you everything. On the RAID-1 drive I are stored DSF files. It’s completely secured against lose of data.
I have a compressed version of these DSF files in the form of DSF-WV files. These files are stored on 2TB SSDs.
I do that because for my work I’m often away from home for few weeks and some time a month or two. I take then the SSDs of my music with me to be able to listen to it with my MacBook Pro and my DAC.

I understand better now, but you have not specified the size of your RAID1 volume (size of all disks divided by two)
An small external 4TB hard disk cost more or less €100. I imagine it would be large enough for you to store all your up to date files uncompressed or compressed, as suits you.
Although not SSD, it is practical when going about and to enjoy more up to date files.
What’s not to like?

1 Like

Can we stick to the topic please ?

1 Like

Sorry, I did not realise this was the “stick to the topic” thread… :pray:

The RAID-1 is made of 2 x 10 To. Only 6.5 To are used. On this drive I have music in various formats.
I don’t need a back-up the RAID-1 drive against a failure because the two HD are redundant. In addition, they are guaranteed by Seagate for the next 5 years with free of charge recovery of the data in case of failure.

The DSF files were compressed to DSF-WV files because SSDs are expensive. It allows me to take with me all my DSD music when I travel for my work.
I don’t care that the metadata of these files is not up to date, because I don’t care about metadata when I travel.

1 Like