Transparency on what Studio is analyzing the library for

Overall, I really like Studio. There are some obvious quibbles like how the heck there’s no stop button, but these can be sorted out.

What I really don’t like is that Studio is taking hours (probably days for my library size and progress so far ) to do some “analysis” without any transparency on what it is analyzing, what it is doing with the data, and no possibility to opt out.

5 Likes

My lossless music archive is 263.00 GB. It consists of Compact Disc, Sony Super Audio Compact Disc, Sony Direct Stream Digital, Hi-Res, and Meridian Audio’s Master Quality Authenticated music albums. Most of my artists are Asians. Audirvana Studio takes hours to import while primarily analyzing my lossless music archive. I thought that there is something wrong with Audirvana Studio so I quit the app and I shut down my mid-2017 AVA Direct gaming desktop PC system. Why is it taking so long to import and analyze my lossless music archive?

2 Likes

After a bit of analysis, if you look at some of the local albums, you can see that information about related artists and additional artwork has been added.

It seems that the application is referring to Qobuz & TIDAL to generate these information.

The reason why this analysis is taking so long is probably not because of the power of the PC, but because there is a problem with the analysis algorithm or the server.

Audirvana Studio seems to be aiming for Roon, but the current situation is extremely disastrous.

I left my computer overnight and this analysis was stuck halfway and didn’t finish by morning… ugh
Hope this gets fixed soon.

So far as I can tell, everything plays perfectly fine without analysis completing, so I’m just enjoying listening, and when it finishes it finishes.

2 Likes

Am I right in thinking that it does not alter the track files metadata, but only the Audirvana database?

Thank you for your insight

Don’t disagree with that. Still would like to know what’s happening with my data and how it is being used.

Maybe it was in the terms of service, but I’d want a clear explanation too.

Presuming it has to abide by EU law, which requires opt-in before data is used for marketing, is that correct?

1 Like

@Antoine Could you provide some clarity on what this process does, why it takes so long, and what data is being shared?

1 Like

No data is shared, all we do is analyzing your track to have the Accoustic ID of the track and then with Musicbrainz we are displaying the missing metadata in Audirvana (we are not adding them in your track).

2 Likes

Thanks @Antoine . Given that I’ve spent months curating my metadata, I don’t really need that feature. Is there a way to switch it off?

9 Likes

My sentiments exactly. Sounds like a nice feature, but not one I want or need.

3 Likes

But you are overwriting the original files, aren’t you? Why?

1 Like

A cursory glance through my library shows a bunch of file updates, which were definitely made by Audirvana Studio (it’s the only thing running that can access them).

Specifically, at a minimum, it is adding the “MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID” to some of them. Apparently at random since it is not all the files in any given album. And there’s no name-based, or other, correlation I can see.

So either there’s a bug, or the claim that it is not changing files is inaccurate.

2 Likes

The claim was that it isn’t overwriting the user’s metadata, not that it wasn’t doing anything with the file. Of course it is, so it can show you any additional metadata MusicBrainz has, but without overwriting what you already have.

Using licensed Audirvana 3.5 which has no Library management by using the disk directory and file structure. Is this now integrated in the Studio version?
This would be a good argument for me.

I am really sick due to metadate usage only. My library has lots of ripped CDs which I own and Exaxt Audio Copy does not integrate metadata into the soundfiles. Some other CD ripper do it, but the rip is not really bit perfect.

It could do that by sticking the ID in the database and leaving my files alone.

Regardless …

It’s adding something.

Which is a problem … as at a minimum it’s going to cause every file it touches to have to be re-backed up. On a million-track library that’s a lot of data to push. Especially for the cloud backup step.

That the changes are apparently random in what files they occur on is another cause for concern.

You don’t make mass updates to user’s files without warning them.

11 Likes

I understand the files and the metadata is not changed, but for those of us with very large libraries and specific, meticulous metadata, this feature is not only a huge memory resource and time expenditure, but also unhelpful for library and playlist management.

3 Likes