Transparency on what Studio is analyzing the library for

Ok, thank you.

In the Mac version, it’s impossible to make display the MusicBrainz tags in the colons.
But I succeed to make appear the MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID tag in the left panel.

But when I select a track that was modified by AS, I have no metadata displayed inside the field of the tag in the left panel. I just have two options to choose from: ‘Keep’ or ‘Blank’

Capture d’écran 2021-05-21 à 16.44.06

I guess I should choose ‘Blank’ for all the tracks and than save. What do you think?

As it happens, I did not save to the second external hard drive immediately. And how exactly should I be alerted to the fact there was a problem in the first place, so I shouldn’t do the backup? Modified date? But I display my files in name order so I can browse them, not by date.

And besides having 3 local storage locations I should now also implement RAID1, which does exactly nothing here, since it does automatically immediately write modifications?

I think we’ve gotten to the point of ridiculousness. Please go on happily giving people advice if you like.

You are correct. That is the same in the Windows version.
‘Keep’ means ‘keep the original values’.
‘Blank’ means ‘Delete the values’.

So you should definitely choose ‘Blank’. As I said before: Don’t forget to save afterwards, otherwise your changes will not be written to the files.

I will save. Thank you very much.

How many tracks you can load, approximately, in this app each time to suppress this tag?
(I ask because in Yate you can load thousands… )

In Windows I did around 5000 tracks each time (to be on the safe side). But I think I could have done easily more. The more tracks the slower the loading process, but when it is loaded it is quite fast. I think it depends on how much memory you computer has. But metadata is only text, so a few thousand lines of text does not consume much memory anyway.

5 000 is cool, I loaded to AS only a small potion of my library: 11K tracks.

And a last question.
Do you think that I can load tracks of different formats at the same time, for instance, DSF, MQA, ALAC?

Yes you can load mixed format tracks at the same time. I do not know which formats the Mac version recognizes, but in Windows it knows all the formats you mention (flac, mp3, ape, alac, dsd, dsf, wav etc.).

In the Windows version I just select a bunch of folders (in the Windows file explorer) and drag them over MP3Tag. It will load automatically what it can recognize and ignores stuff like picture files, text files etc.

If it does not recognize a format it will simply not load it.

Very good. Thank you.

I have 16 GB of RAM. I think it’s sufficient to load in the thousands. I know it by experience with Yate.
But I’ll be precocious, I’ll divide the 11K files to 5-6 batches.

I believe the Mac version do recognize all the formats you mention. But I’ll check it by loading a single album in each format, and I’ll see if the tracks appear.

The suppression of this tag should not be very long.

No the suppression does not take very long. The saving process takes a bit longer. When I saved around 5000 files it took a couple of minutes. But it shows a progress bar, so no problem there.

I have 16 GB of RAM too, so you could easily do thousands of files.

Sh!t!

I loaded 600 DSF files.
I chose ‘Blank’ in the MusicBrainz field.
I wanted to save. I realized then that there’s no save button in the Mac version, like you have in your screenshot.
I looked at the File menu, no ‘save’ menu neither.
I hit ‘supress’ at the keyboard… And all the metadata of these files was supressed!!!
There are no track names, no artists, no composers… Nothing.

I don’t understand what I did wrong.

Oops. I am afraid I can not help you here :worried:
Are you sure your physical files are empty? Or are the values simply not showing in MP3Tag now?
Quit Mp3Tag, open them in Yates and see if there is still data in them.

Could it also be possible that the trial version does not have save functionality and that only the paid version does?

The metadata was suppressed in the tags.
There’s no metadata in Yate neither.

Hitting the ‘suppress’ touch on the keyboard provoked it. When you do it with Yate a dialogue window appears and asks you if you want to save the changes or not. With this app it erased the metadata of all the tags.

Wow. That is a bummer. I assume you did this on your backup set and you still have the original files. It seems to me that in the Mac version you do not have to explicitly save the files.
Dangerous!
Maybe there are other people on this forum with experience with MP3Tag for the Mac?
And as I said, hopefully you still have your original files. Only use MP3Tag on copies until you are sure what it is doing.

I don’t have a backup. I’m on RAID-1.

I’ll copy all the 11K files that AS modified to another drive to back up them.
Then I’ll check carefully how this application behaves.

I’ll have to input the metadata for these 600 tracks.
With Yate, that has plenty of features, it’s feasible with not much keyboard input.

1 Like

I launched a copy for about 30% of the files. As these are DSF files it’s 500 GB to copy and should take two hours.

Meanwhile, I made a trial with the files of an album that I duplicated. And I understood what I should do.
In Yate, when you hit the “suppress” touch", a window of dialogue appears and asks you if you want to save the changes. In this app the “suppress” touch is associated to a function named “Suppress” that is in the File menu. Now I know that “Suppress” in mp3Tag means “suppress all your metadata”!!!
Who needs such a crazy function?

I found out how to “save”. The function was in the bottom of the File menu. I did not see it in the first place because, it is an unusual place for this function in the Mac applications. Well, this is a Mac version of a PC application!

I could suppress the MusicBrainz tag and save the changes.
No need to backup I’ll supress the tag from the files.

1 Like

I continue my report, because it may help other users when they will suppress this MacBrainz ID tag.

When I loaded files to AS, I choose to make a mixture of various music formats in various debth and résolutions.
Among them were some 32 Bit WavPack files with a resolution going from 96-192 KHz.
Unfortunately, mp3Tag does not recognize WavPack. (Yate recognizes all formats, but can not help us with the MacBrainz tag.)

Comrades of the forum, check your taggers in order to find one that recognizes WavPack and is able to remove this satanic tag,

So after last nights AS crash and the re-starting of file analysation (not re-commencement I might add), it’s now 19 hours later and it would appear once again to have stopped at about the 25% mark.
This must be the fifth or sixth time that analysation has taken place on my system, with ALL instances failing.
It’s become somewhat of a joke, and is becoming increasingly annoying.
Does anyone on here know whether introducing a FAKE Musicbrainz tag would fool AS into thinking that the files have already been analysed?

Very strange…
Now I notice that I have in the field that I created in the left panel of mp3Tag not only the ‘Keep’ and ‘Blank’ options, but also digits of metadata… I’m sure though that the files that I treated before were modified by SA, because the dates of modification in the Finder attest that it was the case.

Andy, what does it mean?

A possibility, not a certainty:
I am wondering if that could just as well be due to a a slow access to MusicBrainz servers. After all, Audirvana Studio is dependent on that to progress in its analysis of the files.

1 Like

Because you have selected more than one track at the same type it means te following:

• KEEP = keep (do not change) all the values of the MusicBrainz_trackID tag from the tracks you selected.
  • BLANK = empty all the MusicBrainz_trackID values from the tracks you selected.
  • The digits you see are the values from all the MusicBrainz_TrackIDs from the tracks you selected. When you select one of those digits it will be applied to ALL the tracks you selected. In this case you don’t want tho choose this of course. But this can be handy if you want to give all the selected tracks the same album name tag for instance.

You only need the BLANK option.