Unable to open audio file for playback

I don’t think this is neccesarily an Audirvana problem as I have the same problem with Volumio, but when attempting to play an album (in this instance Phaedra by Tangerine Dream) via Qobuz I receive the following error:

I originally thought that this album had been removed from Qobuz’s catalogue, so was surprised to find I can still play it through the Qobuz desktop app?!?
Does anyone know if Qobuz occassionaly use a file format that perhaps AS (and also Volumio) doesn’t recognise?

In the iOS app it’s only samples. Unclear in what format.

Thanks for the reply @Jacob
You’re quite right, even though the desktop app doesn’t state it’s a sample, it only plays for 30 seconds. The whole album is also greyed out which I didn’t notice previously:

So it would appear that certain albums aren’t available for playback, but purchase only.

I’ve seen that happen as well. An album or two that I had in my favorites, and listened to previously, seemed to become unavailable for streaming. From what I’ve read, this is not that uncommon as sometimes things get pulled while licensing is being reviewed, and often come back online once everything is settled.

When it happened to me, I was usually able to find a decent alternative version of the album, so it was a minor hassle.

Thanks Glen.
I just hope this isn’t a by-product of Qobuz slashing their subscription costs :thinking:

I don’t think so, but I could be wrong. From what I read (before the subscription cost change) online, it’s standard for pretty much all subscription streaming services to review / renegotiate streaming license with an artist / record company.

Qobuz was reported to have the best per-stream compensation for the artist a couple years back, so I hope that’s not changing. It’s one of the reasons I decided to use the service over the less expensive options.

1 Like

Hello @Ironz, it all comes down to the label contracts with Qobuz and it’s possible that the one for this album need to be actualized by them. You may contact Qobuz directly has they can give you more information about it.