USB Library and MacOS

What is the best way to monitor the library on a usb on a mac? Through itunes or via mount folder?

I use Music.app to manage my library stored on an external drive (with a symlink) and I sync Audirvana with the folder.
The reason I use Music.app to manage my library is because first I still sync music with my iPhone, and second I find it convenient how Music.app organises the folder trees and file names automatically with the tags (and changes it automatically if tags are edited).
Audirvana works well in that case. But it means metadata are managed by Music.app.

No one from Audirvana gonna chime in? I need to know because I have lag with the usb drive and the m1 mac mini

Easy answer, less thing you use the better. Worst thing to use, Apple built in…

Audirvana will tag your thing as Music or past iTunes and much more… learn the program (Audirvana) forget Apple own software, play safe.

You don’t need softwareS to run just one…
Audirvana is not yet perfect, but way better then Apple now

2 Likes

The only other software i use is JRiver to analyze my .dsf files to get the DR numbers
on those SACD split .dsf files, because Audirvana can’t do it still…

So, when i have .dsf or SACD iso, i split them in .dsf files, drag them in JRiver to analyze
those files to have the DR numbers i’d like to see, then open Audirvana and those numbers appears then in Audirvana… just have to remove those stars that are put on on for no reason i know… then all is good :slight_smile:

I am using a 4TB usb hard drive as my music drive. I use an ipad pro with the app as my control.

Perfect then,
no iTunes or Music (Apple software) library…
usb hard drive or stick or ssd drive are all good…
just don’t use another software to run on a first software to be use :slight_smile:

Are you running the Mac Mini headless?
:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

Yes…using ipad pro as wireless control

Apparently, a headless Mac Mini (M1 or otherwise) will realize better performance from enabling the video sub-system properly by employing an inexpensive HDMI video accelerator dongle like this:

NewerTech® : Video : HDMI Headless Video Accelerator

NewerTech HDMI Headless Video Accelerator. Take back the full power of your Headless Mac’s GPU.

Mac and PC computers can pack phenomenal power into a compact form factor, but when they’re operated without a display attached, the GPU isn’t activated — meaning it’s not pulling its weight. So when you access your Mac or PC remotely, the CPU does all the work in rendering the user interface. As a result, the interface lags; OS animation, cursor movement, menu navigation, and typing all suffer, making remote operations a pain.

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

1 Like

Ok will try this. I did that with my nuc as well.

thank you

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.