USB output into Audirvana vs I2S

Paul from PS Audio claims I2S is way way better than USB output to DACS. I am a big fan of the I2S buss. But I think my iMac as the platform and Audirvana as the software playback engine helps defeat and counteract all the negative effects the USB circuit introduces into the signal path. Does anyone agree with this? Thanks

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

I recommend trusting your ears… and doing your best to mitigate inducted noise and timing/phase anomalies in the signal path that precipitate jitter, in either scenario… Remember that I2S protocol does not have error-correction, so cable quality and a very short cable length is imperative.

Thanks so much for the information. I have compared a CD ripped onto my iMac and played thru Audirvana Studio vs. the same CD played in my PS Audio transport via I2S to the PS Audio DAC and I don’t hear any difference thru $4000 active KRK recording studio monitors. Pretty interesting.

1 Like

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

If you have the Direct Stream DAC… All inputs are processed as DSD and output as DSD128, so jitter is basically filtered-out in this process… it is reasonable that you cannot discern a difference in your playback scenario.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. And yes, I have both the big Direct Stream and the baby Direct Stream. Great sounding DACs and I’ve gone thru a few :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.