Using Audirvana with Minimserver

I just subscribed to Audirvana and have been using it to play music on my computer for now. Files are store on my MacMini. I have another streamer/DAC that I use in my 2 channel system that streams files via MinimServer using DLNA/UPnP. The files and MinimServer are loaded on my Synology NAS. I am hoping I can use Audirvana to do something similar as I really like MinimServer. I am reading that UPnP is a feature within Audirvana. However, I am having some trouble figuring out how to make this connection so that Audirvana and MinimServer speak to one another. Can someone give me advice on how to do this?

You cannot do it, Audirvana and MinimServer can’t work together.

Thank you for your response. So now I am a little confused about the UPnP feature in Audirvana. How might I use this feature?

You can use it to play to a device (renderer) that supports UPnP.

Okay so if my DAC supports UPnP then I can connect my Mac Mini to it via USB cable and connect Audirvana to it using UPnP? Sorry to be dense about this but I’ve been used to MinmServer which supports UPnP and requires no configuration to connect. Seems like I will have to configure something in Audirvana to make this happen.

@tony4660 you should probably read up on the various parts of dlna and upnp

Minim is a media server or upnp/dlna server. It means it exposes the media it has indexed to upnp clients.

Clients are usually upnp renderers and control points.
Renderer is what plays your audio or video to an output.
Control point is some app that coordinates payback to a renderer.

Audirvana is more of a control point and media server in this case. It can send media it has access to to a dlna renderer for playback.
Just as it can send media to a dac attached via USB.

Hopefully my convoluted explanation makes some sense ))

1 Like

@VoyagerDude, nothing convoluted in your explanation. I am pretty familiar with the terms. If anything maybe it was me who convoluted things when I tried to explain what I wanted to do. With my Aries LE and CI Audio apps/control points I can locate MinimServer on my network via UPnP, DNLA or OpenHome and connect to my library on my Synology NAS. When I saw that Audirvana was UPnP capable I thought I could do the same. While I can link to my library on the NAS with Audirvana it obviously bypasses MinimServer in the process since the two do not work together. My primary DAC is not a UPnP renderer as it is an older unit so best I can do there is use Audirvana natively and connect my Mac Mini to the DAC through a USB/SPDIF converter, However, my Channel Islands streamer/DAC is UPnP/DNLA capable and I was thinking I can connect my Mac Mini via USB direct to the CI DAC and use the Audirvana UPnP capability with it. Am I wrong about that?

Hi @tony4660

I’m not familiar with the CI streamer/dac. Which model do you own?
If you can connect to it via USB and Audirvana sees it as an audio output then you can send music to it directly without using dlna.
Audirvana has no way to read music from a dlna server so you’re right about connecting the Audirvana music library to the same folder on your synology nas.

Audirvana dlna capability comes handy when you want to send music to a networked dlna streamer that cannot be connected to your Mac via USB.

@VoyagerDude, this is a link to the product: https://ciaudio.com/product/dmc•1-digital-music-console.

It’s the Channel Islands Audio DMC-1. It is both a streamer and DAC and uses a browser based UI as a control point versus an downloadable app. I really don’t care for the UI which is loosely based on Volumio. Audirvana is much better, especially with recognizing my tags and how I like to organize my music. Ultimately I’d like to avoid USB altogether if I can.

@tony4660 the CI looks great.
Judging by the lack of the square USB Input it can’t work as an external sound card though right?

Which leaves you to using it as an dlna renderer with Audirvana or any other control point.

I personally quite like using https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/glider-music-player/id1195350916 In iOS with my dlna streamer And synology dlna server.

Looks like rebranded Volumio, so UPnP should not be a problem.

@bitracer, yes they use the same software team that does Volumio. There are some modifications to it though.

@VoyagerDude, I did verify that the USB inputs are just for USB sticks or drives with music files loaded on them. It works, but for some reason won’t pull over any of my album art. The thing I like about the DCM-1 is the all-in-one aspect, it has its own control point and is both a streamer and a DAC. Ideally I think this may be going in my shop system.

So how would I accomplish using Audirvana as a control point with the DCM-1 being the DNLA/UPnP renderer?

Just configure Audirvana to monitor a network share and then just select your device as output.

I am not sure how to do this but here is a screen shot of what I see right now. Under Library I went and added my NAS file path. However, down in the lower right my only option for DAC is Built-in Output. However, under Network I see Channel Island and when I select it the Active Device list is updated and the speaker icon changes. The second screen shot shows this. I assume that I am all set now and can start using Audirvana with my DAC via UPnP.

1 Like

All works fine now. Thanks for the help.