Various issues with the NAS version on the Syno

Dear all,
Here is a report after the installation of the update.

Initial conditions:
- Version updated on the Syno but App not started.
- AS started on MAC and remote connected.
- Restart the app on the Syno.

Sequence:
- I select the Syno in the list.
- Popup indicating that the the computer has been disconnected.
- Back to the connection menu: Syno disparears briefly and came back
- New selection of the Syno: Popup with account login.
- I enter credentials: “loading” message, followed by popup indicating the active session on another computer has been stopped.
- Display of library content.
- List of Synced folders still empty.
- Add a folder: nothing but “request error”, AND My Account tab is Empty (no possibility to start logging or consult the log if logging is already active). All other tabs seem to be OK
- Close and restart the remote.
- Retry to add folder: no change, still error message and “my account” tab still empty.
- Retry yet another time: and scanning starts! But “my account” still empty.
- After a while, everything seems to work and I can access the Log file.
- In the log file, nothing very specific apart from a warning listing the audio folder I try to add as already included and being on watch.

New test this morning.
I look at the status reported by the remote, connected to AS on Syno: still reporting a syncing activity on the audio folder I reinserted yesterday (Has already been synced but was not reported as such).
I quit and reopened the remote: status was updated, indicating that synchronization was complete.
===> Why do I have to restart the remote to get a correct status?

I tried to add another folder: tried twice, nothing happen except a “request error”.

I tried to look at the log file: unable to activate the logging activity, any press on the right button have absolutely no effect.

INTERESTING THING: I went on my Mac and saw that AS was still up and running. I clicked on the configuration menu and got a popup informing me about the impossibility to check the license.
And then, the app stopped on the Mac.
AND: AS on the Syno seems now to be back and started to sync.

I think there is something not working properly in the mechanism to take the license from one instance to another one. It also seems that when two AS instance are up and running on the same network, they enter into a strange conflict mode that is not properly handled by the app.

Now syncing has started on a new folder, and logging is ON. Let’s see what’s going on after.

Yes. I have three instances running: one on a MacBook, one on a Raspberry Pi and one the Synology NAS. It seems that the disconnect and reconnect options don’t always align. I often have to log in twice when selecting the Pi or the Synology. Even when I have selected a computer, I often have to do this a second time. It seems there is a response problem with the Bonjour protocol, or a lag of some sorts.

Having said that, I switch because of testing the beta software at home. Once one of the options will work for me (either Synology or Raspberry Pi, I have issues with both), that would be the default option and I won’t switch anymore.

It seems the DS418 that you also use is simply underpowered for use with Audirvana. It would be wise if Audirvana would set a minimum requirement for use with their packages. When it is playing a Qobuz stream, the remote is lagging so much on input, while the Pi reacts without delay.

The Raspberry Pi works, but I have issues with playback from a mounted Synology drive (the same Synology) over SMB (Cifs).

It is still beta software and I’m forgiving. But I’m also a bit anxious because Audirvana on a Raspberry Pi with a low noise power supply (iFi iPower2) and a very small footprint OS with only the services running needed for Audirvana sounds better than on the Synology DS418. And if you switch back to a MacBook M1 Pro after listening on the Raspberry Pi it is quite revealing that the Pi sounds clearly better.

1 Like

Many thanks for this.
At least we agree on the statement about the handling of license switching from one instance to another one. That confirms the weird behaviour I observed at multiple occasions with my setup. And this includes, although it is not probably related to the same root cause, why I can hear some short interruptions during playback when the two AS instances are up and running.
I also agree with the conclusion on the limitations of the DS418 to correctly support AS. Anyway, even when it works, sound is worse with the Syno instance as compared to Mac mini.
I will consider the Raspberry platform when I have time to buy one and test it.
Anyway, thanks again for this.

I wonder what the sound quality would be like if you used the Mac to run Audirvana and used the Raspberry Pi as a UPnP endpoint. This would very likely solve your problem with ALAC files and with running multiple instances of Audirvana.

The endpoint is a Naim streamer, so I don’t see the value.

I am comparing alternative solutions for running Audirvana. Pi, NUC running Linux or Mac is the end state solution for having a dedicated Audirvana ‘server’.

I just like a definitive answer why .m4a files are not playing from the NAS using Audirvana on Linux, since you would expect the needed codec is embedded in the Audirvana software or the libraries they use.

I have been comparing Pi vs MacBook Pro, and there are clear SQ differences.

The Mac has more tone depth and texture. The Pi a wider soundstage and more overall calmness and a slightly better separation. But the more organic feel of the Mac is nice as well, so it’s a preference in the end. Imaging between both is slightly different.

The Pi wins for me on the airiness and the rock solid soundstage. I’d like to have the tone depth as well, but I’d probably need to test with different power supplies on the Pi to see if I can ease that out of a Pi as well.

Unfortunatly, the Synology won’t work due to age. But I’m not going to buy a new one, just for testing Audirvana :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right, sorry I didn’t recall that.