WavPack DSD support?

I have DSD files in WavPack. Will there be support in Windows app?

1 Like

I am also curious if there are plans to support WavPack encoded DSD files. WavPack introduced this feature back in 2017. It would be nice to have, even if it’s just using WavPack’s built-in decoder that plays the audio stream back in 24/352 PCM.

Hello @xabba, Audirvana use DSDIFF, what benefit we would have to use WavPack?

Hi @Antoine

These are the benefits of using WavPack encoded DSD files and why I personally converted the DSD albums that I own.

• It can losslessly compress DSF and DFF files down to over half of their original size. It’s not quite as efficient as DST, but it’s fairly close. DST also has no free encoders available, whereas WavPack is open source.

• Tagging support is immensely improved. DFF doesn’t support modifying metadata at all and DSF is limited to ID3v2 tags. With WavPack encoded DSD files, you can use APEv2 tags to store metadata.

• The newer WavPack codec can also natively convert the encoded DSD stream to a 24/352 PCM stream if the player or DAC does not support DSD. This is extremely useful for those who do not have a DAC that supports DSD, as they can at least be able to listen to the converted PCM stream.

There is also a free program called BatchEncoder that makes the conversion from DSF/DFF to WavPack very easy.

I would be very grateful if support for this was added to Audirvana.

2 Likes

I know its a slightly old thread. But I’d like to put my hand up and say I’d love WavPack encoded DSD support also. I’ve just spent the last few months slowly converting my library (as I’ve primarily been using moOde and similar solutions), purely for the tagging and space reasons mentioned above. Seems like a huge way forward compared to the alternatives.

I figured I’d try the latest Audirvana trial version today, and was quite surprised that almost my entire DSD library didnt show, was actually confusing at first considering competitors have implemented support quite some time ago.

Hi,

Please, PLEASE, implement support for DSD in wavpack containers. I’d save at least 150 GB of HD space and my DSD collection is growing. The HD I prefer for playback is filled to the brim and I already use wavpack to store my DSF files on backup drives.

Other players already do this, for example Foobar.

I came across the same problem yesterday.

I had an album (made of 3 SACD ISO) with bad metadata (Bad artist, and no tag for the disc number). I understand metadata can’t be edited in such files.
I decided to extract individual tracks to DSF to be able to fix the metadata.
I used sacd_extract with the -s option to convert ISOs to DSF files. It worked very well, I was able to fix metadata, but the DSF file total size was huge (approx 19GB).
I then decided to use the wavpack tool to compress those files. .wv (compressed size = 9GB… much better).
Unfortunately I found Audirvana couldn’t open the .wv compressed files. The error message is not very clear, and Audirvana thinks they are 8-bit 88KHz PCM files.

In the end, I sacd_extracted the ISO again to DFF files using the -p option, keeping the DST compression (Total DFF size is 7GB… much better than 19GB in the DSF format). I read everywhere that the DFF format is not compatible with metadata but to my surprise, the DFF files were tagged by sacd_extract, and Audirvana could edit the bad metadata.

I test wavpack(dsf), audirvana not support, it’s so sad.
A Dsf size is 1.5GB, wavpack only 0.73GB, it’s very nice.
Please Add wavpack dsd playback.

1 Like

Small File Size, about 45-60%.

I just want to thank any Audirana developers that may be considering adding DSF-WV support.

Just to report, right now Audirvana finds DSF-WV files, shows the metadata/tags/covers etc correctly. It even decompresses the wavepack, plays the file contents etc, but it seems the thing it isn’t doing correctly is recognising the contents as DSD (it thinks the files are high definition PCM).

It seems Audirvana has almost all the element ready to go, and is soooo close to being able to play DSF-WV files.

This is the only show stopper preventing me from purchasing a license.

I make a tool to compress dff/dsf to dst(lossless), very small, Audirana can play it directly. https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsd-tools/files/DSD%20Tools%20%28macOS%29/

Hello everyone,

I have some pretty good news for you.

We made a test version of Audirvāna Studio with the WavPack support in it (only for MacOS). If you are interested in testing this, you can get this version here:

https://audirvana-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/p/antoine/Eq6-Upvcxd1KhPYDdB1rQ6wBNnH4-iDfdVONBVDjG2RSXQ

very nice update.
I’ve converted some DSD albums to WV and nearly 50% space is saved while maintaining direct DSD to my USB DAC.

Thanks

1 Like