What's in a Name (Zappa, Zappa & The Mothers, Mothers of Invention, et al)

This is most specifically about using Audirvana on a Mac, with a music library on a separate, external drive and a tag editor called Yate. I’ve been on Macs for 24 years but I’ve never used iTunes to manage or even play back audio.

I’m trying to work out how to get an artist with multiple variations on artist/group name to organize in sync with one primary name. The best example of this right now is:

• Frank Zappa
  • Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention
  • Frank Zappa & The Mothers

I’d like to keep these all under “Frank Zappa”. Yate allows for tag separation of “Artist” and “Album Artist” - I revised so I had FZ and FZ&TMoI as artist but only Frank Zappa as “Album Artist” for everything. I’m not finding all my tag adjustments to make this happen are actually working. The results are inconsistent, at least at first glance. Frank shows up as expected, but after adjusting the second and third name variation, I’m still finding adjustments to the original tags in the audio files are not updating in Audirvana. I’ve resynced the library without success.

This topic was automatically closed 375 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.