Windows ARM + Audirvana for RaspberryPi

How about Audirvana building a Windows ARM version with their software for download for users to use on a dedicated Raspberry Pi.

Windows ARM version already exists, just port Audirvana to work on the ARM version and make it available to download and burn on a SD card.

Question is whether a Raspberry Pi would be able to run Audirvana at all. The Roon people say, it just doesn’t have enough computing power to run Roon, I think Audirvana is in the same class of power resources?

Good question.

Currently I run Audirvana on a MiniPC with these specs:

Specifications Beelink BT3 Pro II Intel Atom X5-Z8350 / 4GB / 64GB - MiniPC:
Processor: Intel Atom X5-Z8350.
Speed: 1.92GHz.
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics.
RAM: 4GB.

RaspberryPi 4b specs

Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
2GB, 4GB or 8GB LPDDR4-3200 SDRAM (depending on model)
2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
Gigabit Ethernet

Although lower cpu its a quad core…I think it can do it.

1 Like

Interesting setup with your minicomputer! Did you install Audirvana on top of Windows OS?

Yes first I uninstalled and removed a bunch of un-needed stuff to lighten the load and then installed Audirvana. Works without a problem, some years now.

I would imagine a bare-bones version of Windows on a multicore processor would work pretty good.

Thats my imagination though…I’d really like to see Audirvana try it in reality.

I’m with you on this! I’d like to see, in analogy to ROCK (Roon optimised core kit), an AOK (Audirvana optimised kit) :grinning:

I am thinking of setting up a NUC/minicomputer for Audirvana. When I do so, I’ll need your input!

Regards, Paul

1 Like

Sure glad to help, any way I can…just PM me, no problem.

Above all else, I’d really like to see some ‘active’ development from Audirvana vs the small fixes and minor adjustments. This software can be so much more than what it currently is…

Potential issues
Licensing from Windows [although I’m guessing the ARM version is a IOT version and is open for use]
Drivers for USB Dacs could also be an issue, don’t know if WASAPI was ported to the ARM version
Power could also be a potential issue but from my experience ‘tuning’ can resolve this

Absolutely valid points! It would be a true investment for the Audirvana people to embark on such an endeavor. But, maybe the sound would improve with tailor made solutions, who knows. Worth a try!

Before ordering a NUC/minicomputer, I‘ll PM you not to mess up anything!

The Raspberry Pi 4B is a really powerful little computer with the 4 or 8GB memory option. It’s more than capable of running a version of Audirvana, at least for playback or as an endpoint.

My rec would be to install Volumio or MPD/Mopidy with a UPnP plugin to make it a remote renderer you can access from your desktop Audirvana installation.

Surely the Roon comment was referring to the older generation hardware.

As far as I know, no one over at the Roon forum has a direct installation of Roon Core on a Raspi Pi 4. The last post, though Oct 20, mentions it can’t be done (see https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-to-set-up-a-raspberry-pi-stand-alone-for-music/107282/22).

Setting up a Volumio/Mopidy with UPnP plugin is what I’ve done for a long time, though Raspi 4B running RopieeeXL connecting to Audirvana. Works like a charm.

Recently, I even dropped this and went MacBook Pro straight into the DAC of my Devialet. Can’t be simpler than that and sounds great.

I am sure, Audirvana could be technically run on a Raspi 4B, but you’d need a Linux distro of Audirvana. I guess that’s not going to happen.

1 Like

I run an early 2009 Mac Mini with 8GB ram, 2GHz Core 2 Due and on an SSD. Roon runs better on it than Audirvana. Even if I only run Audirvana and nothing else. Not sure why. Also, running the remote on a tablet to control Audirvana is very laggy.
A bit off topic here. I hope that the back arrow works like other back arrow button to jus go back one step. It does different thing when you are on different screen. Also, when you change the audio device on the remote, there is really no way to go back to the album you were on by a simple back arrow.

I’m just suggesting a linux port could, in theory, run on a Raspberry Pi 4 under RPIOS or ubuntu. Whether or not there are enough users to justify such a port is another thing.

I use Volumio at home as an endpoint on my RPI3s and it works great. With Audirvana remote it’s effectively like having it running remotely. For really high res files (192/24bit) Audirvana’s downsampling options work great.

No Linux distro of Audirvana needed.

Just create a version of Audirvana that can ‘INSTALL’ on Linux, much like MPD does for Volumio and Roon-Core does.

MoOde Audio etc. etc. etc are all software installed ‘on’ a distro.

No ‘special version’ of Windows is sold via Audirvana, its installed on Windows.

Interesting!

Would you care to elaborate on how such a Linux-mountable version of Audirvana is created?

Thanks!

Just as Audirvana ‘installs’ on Windows as a separate program within the Operating System.

Audirvana as a GUI but it uses the already provided audio-stack within Windows WASAPI, or it could use another existing audio-stack like ASIO or Kernel streaming to route audio from the ‘program’ to the output.

Linux - same thing
Much like any other program within Linux, Audirvana would have a GUI, but instead use the existing audio-stack ALSA, or it could use Gstreamer, or even Pulse-Audio to route the audio from the ‘program’ to the output.

Just as there is no need for a MPD-distro or Roon or even Squeezelite, there is no need for a Audirvana-distro.

They are all programs that exist within an Operating System which stream ‘files’ to an output.

What ever Audirvana uses to display the GUI would likely work in Linux too, just compile it for Linux instead of Windows. The backend would need some work to talk too a new audio-stack.

However…this topic is concerning “Windows for ARM” which already exists, along with all the Windows related behind the scenes content. No special magic needs to be done, at least not anything major…most programs that work on the desktop version of Windows also works on the ARM version of Windows.

Piece of Cake

This topic was automatically closed 375 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.