Audirvana on Linux

Hello Damien, do you have any plan for a Linux version?

Linux Version would be nice.

3 Likes

For the users who only use UPnP would a Linux version be a fantastic thing.

Only thing I can see as an issue with a Linux version is…all the tuning and sound adjustments etc made by Audirvana would be lost. They would have to dig into the Linux ecosystem to make necessary adjustments.

That being the case, Audirvana would only look and function the same, but would likely sound a bit different.

However, given the nature of Linux, tuning could be done down to the individual bit and processor cycle if need be… And of course, the software would run in a much better environment, likely being the only process running on a much leaner operating system. In this way, Audirvana would be a running on a true single-purpose machine, worthy of being in the audio rack…vs. on a computer which shares space with printing, word processing, internet searching…ie just another piece of software on a home computer.

Another option would be for Audirvana to really do its homework and build the software around a ‘server addition’ of Windowz…as to have a similar clean-slate like Linux. Then configure the software to not only install but to simultaneously make operating system adjustments similar to what Fidelizer does to optimize the operating system.

1 Like

The nice thing with Linux is that it’s free as beer, where as Windows cost money (lots of it). I’d rather pay for software, than for OS licenses.

2 Likes

There’s no market for this. You have alternatives though, like MPD with many frontends available.

In my mind, there is a market for everything…its just a matter of making people feel they need what you are selling.

The ‘audiophile-market’ is ripe for this…just look at every doo-dad and gadget for sale [some for big bucks] and how many people buying.

You’re talking about a cross-section of 2 markets. Audiophile market and the desktop Linux market. Both are tiny and the intersection is as a consequence even tinier.

Not at all Linux-desktop.

FYI if you have a router in your home…it runs Linux, got a Android phone…Linux too, how about a cable modem yep Linux, Chromecast device, Amazon streaming gadget, smart TV…the list goes on and on and on…its all Linux.

The average consumer never heard of Linux, however Linux is in every home in the USA and saturates the world market. Why? Because Linux is the perfect Operating System for ‘single-purpose’ devices.

Not at all Linux-desktop

1 Like

For those kind of devices you have even more options. Just for SBCs you have at least 5 different audiophile grade distros. Don’t see what value can Audirvana provide there.

I agree that for a single purpose use a Linux version would be great. Without any or minimal config ui.

2 Likes

Another good point about Linux is your amount of variables decrease because you are just using the ‘core’ part of the OS without any other functions -or- upgrade compatibility issues.

For example, both Mac and Windows have been known to kill programs with their updates. And/Or force other software folks to update and spend money/time redoing their software to make sure it survives an update.

That would mean that Audirvana would have to maintain it’s own distro. How is that going to be better than what Volumio, Rune Audio, Moode and other distros already offer and do that for free?

Maybe, I still think it would be nice…
On the other hand I now have Minimserver + BubbleUpnpServer running which does exactly what Audirvana used to do - stream music to my Upnp-render(s). For me it’s a no brainer. But I’d liked to have Audirvana as it does a few thing right, which no one else does.

Why not like JRiver? no specific distros but versions to be installed on different distros.

Well, it’s a Java based app. If there is JRE for a specific platform they’re ready to go. JRiver is also a full blown UPnP server, something Audirvana is not. Still wonder how many licenses they sell for Linux.

Difficult to say as they sell the Master license that enable JRiver on all OS (Windows, Mac, se era L Linux distros)

… btw … I run JRiver on Ubuntu Focal Fossa …

… and it can be an upnp/dlna renderer too, this is the way I use it on Ubuntu Focal Fossa

Do you use it only as renderer or you leverage also the server functionality.

Renderer only, control point is Lumin app (on iPad) and I use Minimserver for the library
… and upsample all pcm files to dsd256

What hardware do you run it on? Is it a normal computer or SBC? Why did you choose JRiver over free options?