Audirvana Plus not detecting Auralic Aries Femto Streamer

Hi All,

I’ve newly acquired and set up an Auralic Aries streamer for my home system. I’ve connected the streamer via an Ethernet cable to my router , to which my computer is also connected via wifi. I have all my music stored on the computer and i would like to use my computer to listen through the Aries streamer. However, when I go into Audirvana, the Aries is not even recognized in the devices menu.

Any suggestions for fixing this problem?

Many thanks in advance,
Vichy Lirapirom

Hello @Vichy.Li, are you able to see your DAC with an other app that can use UPnP?

Hey Damien,

I don’t have another app that can use UPnP. Is there any way I can refresh the connected devices list?

Cheers,
Vichy

If you quit and launch Audirvana again you’ll see your UPnP device available.

I tried shutting down the Audirvana app and restarting it, but the Auralic Aries still doesn’t show up.

Can you check if you can see your DAC with the app BubbleUPnP?

Have you tried with Lightning DS app first?

Yes, the Lightning DS App works perfectly. I stream Tidal from there. However, the files stored on my computer aren’t shown in Lightning DS.

I had an Auralic Aries too a few years ago, and it never worked in UpnP DLNA with the JRiver software (I did not know Audirvana at this time). The Auralic support answered me that there was no solution.

Aries, if my memory serves me correctly, is only a streamer, not a DAC. I’m not sure what you are trying to do in your suitability, because Audirvana is essentially a streamer as well. What DAC are you trying to stream to, and why wouldn’t you just use your Aries OR just use Audirvana to stream to your DAC?

1 Like

The Aries doesn’t have the upsampling capabilities of Audirvana, and the lightning DS app doesn’t read .iso files. This is why I want to send the up sampled digital audio signal to the streamer via audirvana. I want to use Auditvana as a music file server.

@Vichy.Li - why do you need the Aries at all then? Why not just connect Audirvana to your DAC? Audivana is set to recognize playback devices, and the Aries, since it’s not not a playback device, might not want to appear in Windows or Mac as an output device.

I bought the Aries because Audirvana makes a very audible humming noise when outputting USB to my DACs. I wanted to use the Aries as a digital input stage.

Wondering if this is the same for the Aries G1?

It should be, because Aries is not a DAC.

Hello Mr VIchi,
have you been able to play from Audirvana to Auralic Aries Femto in the end?

The fact that Aries is streamer does not mean it is why it should not work with Audirvana.

Sonore’s streamers (e.g. UltraRendu) are compatible with Audirvana, and they are also “pure” streamers, without a DAC.

The reason i ask is cos i want also to connect from Audirvana to Aries (which i dont have yet, but i have Audirvana).

That is right 'the Aeries is a bridge/server and Audiavanna seems primariy be a program that runs as a server for cleaning up computers less than efficient audio path… People are asking about radio stations with Audiavanna ’ surely they are with choices down the line from Audavanna ’ like Tidal Quobus etc??? I think people are getting confused with Audivana and its primary function to clean up a facilitate sound quality?? Please correct me if I am skewed in my thinking I am getting older … Ha Ha

Audirvana serves the same purpose as an Aries. It exists to take digital files and send them to a DAC. In other words, both Aries and Audirvana are streamers.

Audirvana isn’t particularly there to clean up sound quality, at least not compared to the Aries. A raw PC using something like iTunes or Windows Media Player can send digital output to an external DAC, but there is a higher chance that these “cheap” pieces of software will not create bit-perfect streams for your DAC, whereas Audirvana is specifically optimized to do that. Hence all the emphasis on sound quality in the marketing materials for programs like Audirvana.

In other words, Audirvana enables you to take an off-the-shelf PC or Mac and make it as audiophile (that is, bit perfect) as a dedicated streamer like an Aries. There is no reason to use both. You use one or the other. Using both is like going to the gas station, and connecting a gas hose extender to the hose coming out of the pump, and inserting that extender into to your car to get the gas in. You don’t need it.

2 Likes

I am using right now Audirvana with a Waversa WStreamer and it works perfectly. Finally i am in musicophile heaven.

Was thinking about Auralic Aries but after i read here there are problems, i went with more contemporary solutions.

@ddps you have no clue what you are writing about lol

There are lots of needs in real world to use Audirvana with a streamer. I would never use a dedicated streamer with its own UI,

Believe me, I do. I’ve been in the digital music software business for 25 years. In particular, this addresses the OP’s point.

1 Like