Audirvana Studio and What it Means for Audirvana 3.5 Users

Didn’t they say in the presentation that recently purchased 3.5 licenses can be converted directly, $ for $, towards a Studio subscription?
You have to decide if the ‘lifetime’ 3.5 is worth more to you than moving to an ongoing subscription.

When will Audirvana 4.0 be released? Did the Audirvana brand end at 3.5?

2 Likes

I guess so; it seems like they think subscriptions are the only way forward.

There’s absolutely no reason for Audirvana to support 3.5 after the release of Studio! They currently haven’t fixed multiple bugs in 3.5. Why would you think they’ll fix them now?

They want to sell subscriptions.

3 Likes

If you look at 1, you know 10, and if you look at the bathroom, you know the whole house.
If you’re obsessed with the studio without leaving 3.5, it’s better to recognize other players…

Well, if Audirvana was working well, but no, I have issues when driving my Primare CD15 Prisma with Audirvana, some tracks wont’t play in Qobuz. But everything is fine with MConnect.
I suppose there will be no fix for the known problems with the perpetual version.
Even if the interface and the library management of MConnect is not as good as Audirvana, the sound with my Primare is.
So long Audirvana, too bad I bought it.

4 Likes

Well, there is an outstanding issue with the streaming services. That will most likely be fixed. Otherwise it would make version 3.5 useless for many users.

Beyond that, don’t expect much development on the old version.

What did you not like about Roon?

We can all understand now the neglect Audirvana 3.5 Users have experienced for quite some time.
The focus of Damien and Manuel has been to redevelop Audirvana from a nearly blank sheet.
I wonder if they realise how off-putting this is to those who just dared hope that the bugs of Audirvana 3.5 be ironed out.
The subscription model works well for a number of of long established applications, but their success is based on a long lasting trust that Audirvana is not deserving, if 3.5 users experience is to be measured by.

6 Likes

Damien,

What exactly are the new technologies, features and benefits that will differentiate Studio from Roon? Also, with Apple and Spotify hinting very strongly that they will offer CD quality streaming very soon, what will separate Audirvana from them?

Do you believe that you’re offering enough of a financial benefit to your existing customers to sign on with Studio?

If Studio’s technologies, features and benefits do not surpass Roon, and there’s no strong financial benefit to 3.5 users, why buy Studio?

Thank you.

1 Like

You weren’t asking me what I didn’t like about Roon, but I’ll answer anyway. :slight_smile:

• I found that I was already aware of most of the information about albums and tracks, and of the suggestions for other music, that Roon provides.

• I suppose I’m different from the norm, but I have always liked a fairly simple alphabetized list such as is possible with Audirvana more than Roon’s search-based means of finding my music.

• The sound quality of Roon by itself is not as good as Audirvana.

So after my trial I decided a $500 lifetime subscription did not offer enough value to me personally. Of course others will have very different opinions on this. (I have heard the lifetime subscription is $700 now?)

1 Like

Well, I haven’t seen the presentation. However, having a planning revenue stream for a small software company is vital for the long term suvivial of the same, especially when it covers a relatively small or specialized market. Whether the price is top or not, I can’t tell today as it will be the constant feature additions and changes that will I eventually judge about the value of the subscription.

The Studio subscription will have no effect to whether Apple or any other service provider would feed Audirvana. It’s the technique that will assure the guaranteed bit streams that counts, at least to me. I’m happy with Audirvana 3.5 on Windows 10 so far. I’m having a Qobuz subscription that absolutely values out with Audirvana. I hope that’s going to continue somehow.

For their long term survival or for their fall. Especially when their customer base is ignored like that. For me current owners shall be offered the option to purchase lifetime subscription to Audirvana studio

3 Likes

I really did ask you what you didn’t like about Roon. I went back and looked at the question.

A note for people pointing to the availability of lifetime subscriptions: Most often, once a business has the needed capital base, the availability of these is phased out. I would not count on its continued availability for software that currently offers it.

In that sense, Damien is avoiding hitting up his current customers for a big payday before conversion to the subscription model.

You asked, but I didn’t think I was the person you were asking. :slightly_smiling_face: So just a general question then, and now I feel less impolite for having answered.

So disappointed with the presentation. I thought for sure we would have a version 4.0 coming with a more mature interface and a slew of badly needed bug fixes. I spent the better part of today looking at alternatives…

Speaking of bug fixes Damien, you said that the new version will come with a better or “New upsampling algorithm”, that sounds great since the present one doesn’t work for so many. Will the old upsampling algorithm be fixed now? Or am I like others that have paid for functionality that will never work?

P.S. I think the other players in your team have let you down. You started with a vision, it worked, many of us were really happy with your product but after reading the comments on facebook (for at least 2 hours) you can obviously hear the intense disappointment.

6 Likes

That is, IMO, a major weakness of Audirvana. I need to serve FLAC to multiple devices/multiple rooms. MusicStreamer for $5 does it, bit-perfect, from mobile devices. AirFoil for $20 does it from Macs. Why not Audirvana? @Antoine

@Damien2 I am glad to see you are following this thread. Could you answer some of my questions, please, in the second post?

I have had my “lifetime” licence for 6 months only. Thanks to Qobuz publicity. If I wanted a software with a subscription, I would have chosen Roon. SUBSCRIPION NO WAY !

2 Likes