Audirvāna Studio Feedback

I am still no closer to a solution, but thought I’d mention that upsampling using r8brain improved 16/44.1 files a great deal. Unfortunately I send the data to a Holo Audio NOS DAC, which can certainly play the upsampled signal, but it would seem to defeat the purpose of the DAC’s engineering. Why compromise on sound quality, when the bit-perfect file on 3.5 sounded better on the HOLO anyway? But I thought it weird and maybe useful to someone that I found the r8brain upsampling (with default settings on the sliders) was pretty excellent, if you’re into that sort of thing. It is possible to use r8brain on the custom setting, but not increase the sampling frequency. That is, 44.1 is ‘upsampled’ to 44.1. Can anyone explain what, if anything, happens when you set it this way? The best result was with multiples of 2, but with a ‘multiple’ of 1— I almost hesitate to say it, but damn if there wasn’t an improvement. How on earth could that be? But it still does not get me to 3.5 non-oversampling on the Holo.

I already made posted that AS crushed after analyzing the whole night. When I launched the app, it started the analysis again from zero! :frowning:

Few hours later, I had to reboot the Mac, so I lost again the analysis and it starts again from zero. :frowning:
This way the analysis will never end.

It’s absurd. Roon may analyze during days and days, if you quit the app you lose nothing.

1 Like

Same issue here - Audirvana Remote sees the Mac Mini where Studio is running but will not connect. Tried deleting app from iPad and reinstalling. Still will not get beyond ‘Connecting’ page

Is there any official comment on this at all - should the old remote app work or not?

Damien commented that the old remote will not work with Studio. A new app is in the works that will work for both Studio and 3.5.

This is frustrating, and in my opinion was a huge mistake. The remote is an important part of many user’s experience, and to not have it ready on Studio launch was a serious error in planning. When you launch a new product all the features have to be available - period. Bugs, we can understand, but to have a critical piece completely missing like this…it reinforces the notion that it’s kind of amateur hour here.

5 Likes

Kernel Streaming stopped working out of nowhere and restarting Audirvana Studio won’t change anything. I had to switch back to WASAPI to play music.

EDIT: This appears to be only true for albums with higher bit depth and sampling rate than 16/44.1

1 Like

Critical piece? I disagree, I don’t care about the remote, mainly using this is a player with my usb dac. You’re the first person so far I’ve seen complaining that the remote is not available.

It’s not my case, but there are users who run the app on a server without a screen. They need the remote.

Many thanks for clarifying that padraic - stops me frantically trying to make the remote app work!

I couldn’t agree more with your sentiments about the launch which has unfolded like a slow motion train wreck. The only thing keeping me in the camp at the moment is the improved sound quality.

2 Likes

Believe it or not, not everyone has the same use case as yourself.

I am certainly not the first to be complaining about this issue.

4 Likes

Cheers davidp, ultimately I still believe Audirvana is superior to the alternatives so I will stick with it, but I am hoping the subscription model will allow for more rapid turnaround of bug fixes.

I think it might be because the Artist view displays the content of the “Artist” metadata and not “Album Artist” metadata.
I have tried to check if it is possible to opt for “Album Artist” view, but without success so far.
Maybe someone would kindly offer a suggestion.

1 Like

No, this is not the problem.
For some reason, Studio messes the metadata of the composer tag with the metadata of the artist tag. So it displays the composers as being artists. Curiously, it does it with some albums but not with others. That’s why I have 9 times “Adele”, while I loaded a single album of “Adele”.
My metadata is correct. I checked it.

2 Likes

If you select the Artist view, you may see the artists displayed (or not).
Then select the filter function, fumble a bit in the dropdown menus, you will see a selection between all artists, album artist, performer, ensemble and composer.
That will refresh the view and is a way to force a refresh when the view displays nothing (arghhh!)

Fully agree with padraic, Remote should have been there in order to support the multiple usage of customer.

4 Likes

Thank you for the advice. I had “Adele” 9 times as an artist. After applying the “album artist filter” I killed 8 “Adele” and there’s just one left, as it should be. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Alright, I give up. After looking at the tiny progressbar that tells me it’s ‘syncing sound’ or ‘analyzing files’ for 12 hours, AS freezes. Then when I restart the program it starts all over again.

I simply have better things to do with my time. Clipping my nails or scratching my back would be good examples.

Although I seldom use the remote app, I sympathise.
I can already see many reports of functions failing or unsatisfactorily implemented, some as basic as robustness in displaying the album, artist, or tracks view for locally stored tracks.
I my opinion, this software is not yet fit for release, and I cannot yet subscribe to be a paying, frustrated guinea pig.
I shall consider the situation by the end of the trial month, by which time, it seems Audirvana’s team will have to move mountains…

1 Like

I listened to some radios.
Listening to mp3 on an audiophile software is a painful experience.
Even those that are in the High Quality panel are just 256kbs mp3 .
Berk…

I cannot find the Podcasts. Anyone knows where they are?

1 Like

You can disable this. Either from the settings/prefecences -> Local or if I remember well by clicking on the progress bar. I noticed this when starting my beta testing, and disabled it within seconds.

Yeah, me too. Android remote app worked perfectly until I installed Studio, now it won’t connect. Sound quality is great though.