Audirvāna Studio Feedback

‘Personally I am so fed up with all this drama…’

I feel your pain mate. :+1:
Unfortunately my Cyrus streamer isn’t ‘Roon Ready’, so it looks like I’ve a few more years left in audio purgatory yet (unless, of course, I change my streamer :wink:).

1 Like

Finally got installed and can confirm your findings. UPNP not working with CXN v2 nor with my OPPO 205. With USB I can get radio to play (with lots of dropouts) on the Oppo but not Qobuz and nothing on the CXN v2. All fine with 3.5

1 Like

I’ve been scouring the web in search of this streamer option for years now. I’m just not convinced that anything streamed could match Audirvana (even 1.5) which turned a Mac into a source for digitally stored audio that put out of my head forever owning high end turntables or reel-to-reel. (There’s also my poverty.) It made a difference when Audirvana was designed for transmission to a single DAC, like a CD transport, rather than streaming across a network to who knows what. If you find that ingenious streamer, please also pass that on.

I’ve tried the Innuos Zen MK3 and the sound was equally good if not better. The application was very nice, simple and worked without any glitches. Integration with Qobuz and Tidal is straight forward. You can store all your music and serve it through USB to your Dac. Instead of buying a new Mac I will buy the Innuos instead and game over to my Mac as a streamer/ media player.

Agree, the sweet spot of Audirvana was the direct out into an USB-DAC.
Now I have the impression that they want to copy Roon including the sound signature but at a lesser price.

Matt

Not sure who “they” is, I have no issue paying for software if it what I will use. I actually don’t have a great issue with the writing of the meta-data in itself. I do have an issue with not informing me of the consequences of my actions (in the case of activating Audio Analysis) or not telling me that a Tag will be added to aid in identifying.

To re-enforce, it is the “not informing” the user I have the issue with. Being “informed”, I as a consumer can then make choices. And, it is a matter of trust. As I have never really used Audrivana before, my first experience with it is that it is doing things that I might not want. Makes me wonder what else it might be doing and not informing me.

6 Likes

You are right. It boils down to an matter of trust and at the moment that seems to be disappearing rather quickly.

1 Like

Please, it’s audio playback software. It’s not that you’re confiding your darkest secrets to it and you don’t know what it does with it.

1 Like

Would you hire an employee and pay him on a monthly basis when he does things you do not like?

Matt

It would depend on how he does the things I like.

So far I appreciate my trusted coworker 3.5

Matt

1 Like

At the very least, Roon still provides a lifetime license (expensive, I know) for those who, like me, loathe annual/monthly payments for non-productivity software. And I say this as someone who is genuinely pissed at the Roon team for other, not-so-nice customer-related actions.

Thanks for this radio stream
je stream du Flac 24 sur une radio avec Roon et ca marche MERCI ++

le flux de fip est en FLAC mais Roon me dit basse qualité …je rêve là !!

1 Like

Initial experience with AS is disappointing. Sound quality is worse than 3.5 (flat soundstage, brittle dynamics). Can’t see my personal Qobus playlists. Slow performance. Given the hype I expected an improved product but am seeing several steps back.

I’m on MacBook Pro (Big Sur) streaming Qobuz -> Chord MScaler/Hugo TT2

2 Likes

Perhaps I was the only person confused with this but you can indeed sort Qobuz favorites.

They are sortable under the “My Music” section (not the Qobuz section).

1 Like

A small bug here:
In tiled Album view, if you select an album, it opens the view of the album.
Then, when you select to move back by selecting the left arrow, the tiled Album view comes back shifted one row upwards. :thinking:

So I tried it for a while with a very limited set of music files due to all the bugs that other’s are reporting in Studio:

1. While I think the interface is prettier it is hard to read
  2. There are bugs throughout this version (as others have already reported) and they are driving me nuts, 3.5 already is buggy enough (will no longer upsample music as paid for because of bug… read the thread I started about songs skipping at the end of playback)
  3. Studio sounds different but not necessarily better (it seems to be missing some meat on its bones now)
  4. Getting the feeling I am beta testing for Audirvana yet again
  5. Really like where Studio is heading but it is not worth me subscribing on a yearly basis for, at least not now and not for that price!
  6. Audirvana needs to iron out the bugs in v3.5 before they move on
  7. Would like Audirvana to update the core of 3.5 (when all the bugs are ironed out) and make a V4.0

Note:
I was recently turned on to another program for PC only from Japan, TuneBrowser (which I had never heard of but has a large following in Japan), that although it has a geek interface, you can customize it to the n’th degree, and it is so darn snappy and I have not found a bug just yet! Best of all it is constantly being updated!!! It has 2 versions of bit perfect and it also uses WASPi and ASIO controls. For poops and giggles I combined it with “fidelizer” and it does in fact unequivocally sound better than Audirvana, but now I will have to buy “fidelizer” as well. (as a bonus it makes Audirvana sound better too) The only caveat is for MAC users, which is too bad, because Tunebrowser is the best piece of software I have ever tried for music playback (and I have tried almost every last one of them). At this point I am actually quite shocked… so whoever you were that gave me the link, thank you so much. It has been well worth it!

Saying all of this I will try Audirvana Studio when the bugs are ironed out (not much of a chance considering that they are a plenty on version 3.5 still), but I do not want to be a frustrated beta tester any longer, I just want to play my music and enjoy it.

… all music played through a stripped down win10 installation, on a PC with no moving parts (fans), attached to a LPS, going out to my DAC through USB, out to a Sonic Frontiers Line 3 preamp (2 boxes) to Bryston 7 monoblocks, to Focal Sopra 3’s … meaning oh damn yes I can hear the differences in the software extremely well !!!

8 Likes

Does TuneBrowser support DSF-WV files?

Not sure because I only have flac and individual dsf files. Read their english summary: TuneBrowser Summary – TuneBrowser (tikisoft.net), and try for yourself it is a quick install and free to try up to 500 songs other than that it is only 40 bucks I think… preparing my music streamer shortly for it…

It says: " * Supporting file types are: DSD, FLAC, TTA, MP3, AAC, ALAC, Ogg Vorbis, WavPack, Wave, AIFF, APE and WMA."

Or use xrecode3 for the conversion to individual files (I did this a while ago) this software costs 15 bucks I think