Audirvāna Studio Feedback

My wish list:

• ability to hide Radio and Podcasts (I won’t use them)
  • ability to show my Playlists in sidebar (not hidden somewhere and not be limited to several shortcuts)
  • ability to increase font size
  • ability to search within my music only and not throw up results from Tidal and Radio (and the rest)

I am sure there are more to come!

3 Likes

Do you really think the 3.5 users matter anymore? Moving AS to a subscription model after giving no meaningful effort towards fixing bugs in 3.5 proves that is no longer the case.

6 Likes

The Studio sort of worked for half-an-hour while I was trying to play some DSD files. It could play some but after a while, it just hang. I opened and closed it many times and it wouldn’t even play redbook Flacs anymore. I even rebooted the laptop where Studio is installed multiple times and it still didn’t play. I tried overnight and Studio no longer sees any of my network players, Marantz, no SoTM SMS-200 and none of my other UPnP players. It can only play music on the laptopspeakers where it is installed. Tried WASAPI, ASIO & Kernel modes. No network player discovered while 3.5 sees them all. If i still does not see any of my player by end of trial which is this Saturday, I will completely write off the Studio. It has been nothing but frustration, even worse experience than 3.5, which only worked well with the SoTM but very unstable with other network players.

At least, your wife and your son must feel reassured. Studio won’t wake them tonight… Hahahaha

1 Like

Try to make smart playlists and just make less menus in main windows…
here is my hard drive setup… then how to create those smart playlists… 26 = for A to Z

yours might be different setup, but just put your names in the playlist
or rename your things like mine :slight_smile:

then is is somehow like a browser with 26 directories…

When playing an album to the end, the last seconds of the last track are cut off.

Anyone else?
Dieter

Same here. And when you click to move to next title, it crashes. Does not happen when you choose the song below.

Under Radio, in My Music: I can only add 5 stations, any other one I’d like to add doesn’t show up.
Dieter

Wow! Forget which computer music player you are using; these two pieces of hardware you have are already giving you outstanding sound quality! All the computer music players can do is provide a different “shade” of sound to the main sound you are getting.

I have been an Audivarna user for many years, currently using 3.5 on a Mac mini 16Gb running High Sierra. To a PL EVO 100 DAC. Have had little problems over the years, also have ROON, but Audivarna 3.5 has superior SQ. Had high hopes for Audivarna Studio, but having ran the trial for several days now, I have to say this has to be the worst product launch I have experienced. The system is slow to start, has so many bugs, and is constantly crashing it seems like a pre beta version. I think I will now have no choice but to move to a dedicated streamer transport. Such a shame to launch a product in this way, which has produced so many loyal users headaches and complaints to reconsider their options.

4 Likes

Thank you very much, @RunHomeSlow. You are always very generous with your time, in suggesting fixes and work-arounds for various issues that other users, including myself encounter, and I truly appreciate it.

Unfortunately, though, I really do suspect that Audirvana and I reached the end of the road with version 3.5. Seeing that Studio lacks one of the most rudimentary features that I or any other digital music collector would need, a column browser that is sensibly placed, intuitive, and easy to use, I think the Audirvana team is seeking other users, who do not have local music libraries and mostly steam their music, instead of users like myself.

The first issue with your suggestion, at least for me, in my setup, is that I have one drive that holds all of my lossless CD-resolution music files, another one that holds my hi-res music, and another that holds my multichannel music. The CD-resolution drive is still managed through Apple’s iTunes/ Music app, due to the ease with which one can edit metadata through that software. It is the best music database management software I have found, to this day. Too bad it doesn’t support many formats, and the sound quality sucks.

As a result, I’m not sure it’s worth adding yet another layer of complexity, for a software that should have the level of intuitive functionality that I need (iTunes/ Music offers it, for f@¢k’s sake!), in order to efficiently, enjoyably browse my local music library.

Secondly, if I already had to bail on an entire upgrade cycle (version 3.5), because the functionality of the UI was so lacking, another update, which suits my needs even less, hardly sounds very appealing.

I will likely check out the free download of Studio, when I’m back home, but if the column browser issue isn’t addressed, I can’t see myself sticking around to pay for a subscription to a clunker software that has non-responsive to nonexistent tech support.

At least I still own 3.2.20, which was the last version of Audirvana that worked the way I need it to work. It’s a shame the sound quality has improved with more recent versions, but better sound isn’t worth the frustration of fighting with the UI and shouting into a void, to try to get tech support issues resolved. 3.2.20 still has very good sound, and the experience of using it is efficient, enjoyable, and intuitive for me. Sure, it could have more features and could have used a few more rounds of improvements, but at least it makes sense and doesn’t look and feel like it was made by a sadistic Luddite who is unfamiliar with the most popular music library management software on the planet.

As a five-year user of Audirvana, I was one of the users who submitted answers to the big survey, when it was sent out. I enumerated all of my issues and concerns with version 3.5 very clearly. What’s even more clear now is that, as is always the case with the Audirvana team, my issues and concerns fell on deaf ears.

Kind of ironic, if you ask me.

2 Likes

I am still waiting… Radio by genre, location and language newer loads.

Quelqu’un peut il me dire ou est passé ce filtre, dans la nouvelle interface qobuz sur AUDIRVANA STUDIO ?
Plus j’avance dans la découverte de Studio, plus je rencontre de bugs et d’incohérences …

It’s clear that the software is not ready, it’s constantly bugging, I haven’t been able to listen to an entire album yet and on another PC I can’t even install it ( javascript message). Audirvana failed, it happens even to the best but they will have to totally revise their 30 days trial policy and even the subscription system if they want to find their audience ( It is impossible to subscribe in such conditions ). The beautiful sound is not enough if you can’t have it for more than 10 minutes without a bug.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

5 Likes

My one big concern is that my PC has got really sluggish if I use it at the time that AS is running, it seems to be a memory issue. If I close AS the PC performs normally again and can carry out routine tasks as normal again. I did some searches and tried to see if there was a setting that could stop AS hogging the memory but didn’t really find anything. There was stuff about Sysoptimiser but I havent a clue what this is - is it related to MAC’s - I have Windows 10?
Anybody else experiencing memory problems? Or if anybody has any ideas how to overcome this it would be much appreciated.

@Antoine, are you aware of any memory problems with AS because my set up in AS is pretty much identical to the one I use with v3.5? As things stand I would not consider subscribing to AS as I am normally using my PC at the same time as I listen to music, and this slow performance would be a deal breaker for me. That would be a shame because otherwise I like what I see and hear so far.

ram

Do you really think the 3.5 users matter anymore? Moving AS to a subscription model after giving no meaningful effort towards fixing bugs in 3.5 proves that is no longer the case.

3 Likes

my setup was just to show you how i could see my files. In your filter of a new smart playlist, use your name for your hard disc and folders, maybe your are like this: Gaseous/hires
and call that playlist Hires and see if you can work with this.

Hi gryffe!
I have a Destop PC running the same windows version as you, but my machine has 16GB RAM. I do not notice any issue when using AS in regards to PC speed, other programs running, like EDGE with several tabs open, Skype, AntiVirus…
Task manager shows 241MB or RAM in use by AS and very little CPU load, running with Kernel Streaming mode (i’m currently listening to Bladerunner soundtrack by Vangelis in MQA via Tidal on AS)
AS_01

Hi @cybertrancer,

Thanks for the reply. My task manager shows AS using 451MB of RAM in use, so I am using twice as much memory as yourself. I am no expert but that is probably because I only have 8GB compared to your 16GB? Like yourself I have other programs running such as Chrome with several tabs open, AV etc.
However this was never a problem while using v3.5 of Audirvana, so with everything else being equal that points to AS being the problem.