Audirvāna Studio Feedback

Thanks Alain

Your comments are resonating strongly with me and my experience. Sounds fantastic. Lots of important access to library/local files/settings are difficult and SLOW.

Back button has to go back to where I was… not top of file on previous screen… that is accessible directly from menu on right.

Many times the Local Album or Favourite Album is not populated until I go to Edit Sorting Criteria and flip one of the firlds around. This is an error to be corrected.

More issues to come.

Love the sound.

All this HI Res, MQA, DSD, SACD, or whatever… trying to get the highest quality music, as mixed by the artist/producer… and then you go messing with the eq and other settings. I kinda don’t get it.
I was told many years ago by a producer friend that there’s only two reasons to mess with eq.

1. loss of hearing in certain frequency range.
  2. shit speakers
    Both of which require a one time setting of eq for the room you listen in.
    Simplistic, but you get the drift.
    All these other micro-adjustments are a waste of time, as your hearing changes througout the day, changes with change in room temperature, and surprisingly, changes with your state of mind. You’ll be forever chasing the perfect sound.
    On a slightly different note, this applies probably more to live sound, but can apply to home listening - if you system is up to it ( mine is ) there is a point at which the volume leve is on the edge of being too loud ( as if! ), on the edge of distortion, where the sound really comes ‘alive’ , where you whole body starts to tingle, and if you have the speakers for it, you begin to vibrate along with the bass… that’s what i’m talking about.
6 Likes

The more I think about these issues I think a small committee (god help me did i say comittee?)… yes, a small group of like minded critics to pull together a comprehensive Correction Features to Implement Report. What so you say fellas? To help Damien not criticise him.

I’m preferring to enjoy listening to the music rather than the sound. However, sound must be good for music to sing.

I keep telling my piano teacher… Thank you for the compliment re. my practise and technical proficiency; I’m waiting for the time you are speechless because I’m playing music.

1 Like

I would part of it. :+1:

You already are. I thank you for your help.:notes::musical_note::musical_score::man_dancing:

I’m trying to think of a way it could be done, worldwide, (I’m in Sydney for instance) that is easy. That is, its a bit of a thankless task and yet would be so good to pool all the ideas in a searchable file to add/update/suggest/resolve all the quibbles… that’s why i baulked at the comittee word. It reeks of controlling egos and and one-up-man-ship. Of course not on my part you know.

Maybe Googledocs.

I needed more time to prove some things out before chiming in. I have three Audirvana setups in which two of the three utilize FireWire to connect Mytek DACs to my MacBooks. After the first days of use on the MacBooks I find that Studio abruptly closes down. The timing is not always the same - the most I’ve seen is an hour; the least mere seconds after trying to play a track. But it always crashes and goes to the reload screen where the cycle continues every time. My other setup - a MacMini, involves the use of a USB DAC in which I have had no issues.

Furthering my efforts while at home I dumbed down the MacBook setup here to utilize USB on the Mytek - restricted to 96K based on the version of MacOS and the USB driver of the vendor. The music queued has been playing non-stop for 48 hours using Studio.

Again, I have been back and forth with this ever since the release of Studio. Any insight on why FireWire would have an issue in Studio where is has never using 3.xx?

I certainly do like Studio and look forward to the promise it holds (as well as my lingering hope of shuffle by album in some form by either the direct software or the upcoming remote.). I am hoping to move on with it with all of my existing hardware.

1 Like

Welcome to the world of special effects of Audirvana studio :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

4 Likes

LOL. I have those errors regularly in 3.5 too :laughing:
Especially when I do some unexpected sorting or column/window resizing in tracklists.

Also other bugs found in 3.5 are still present in Studio.

It seems plausibel that 3.5 has been used as the code base for Audirvana Studio, also copying all the bugs (which sadly have not been fixed despite all the bug reports users so kindly reported in this forum over a long period already).

2 Likes

Je teste aussi Roon en ce moment…hier je lui ai fait subir les pires tortures…changement de play list en cours de lecture…changement de mode de sur echantillonage sans arreter la lecture…etc etc…Roon marque une pause, le temps d’assimiler et la musique repart…je n’ai pas réussi à le planter !!!

I could not agree more. I would suggest that since AS “calls home” upon launch, it could automatically de-register the previously registered computer, making the swap seem-less while still protecting from rogue use of the software.

4 Likes

This! This is really annoying me. I have to scroll to the original position every damn time.

4 Likes

Roon est super fiable et le DSP est un vrai plus pour l’utilisateur lambda .
Et désolé de le répéter mais le multiroom est bien pratique sans être obligé de passer par AirPlay mais en utilisant chromecast audio qui permet le multiroom en 24 bits.je ne suis pas un expert mais la dernière version de Roon est très très conviviale……j’ai rencontré dans des salons plusieurs fois Damien et j’ai du regret de le voir dépassé par sa création….il faut upgrader vite fait avant que plus de monde parte chez ….Roon

1 Like

It’s not EQ its upsampling. I’ve got my settings spot on now though cheers. Thanks for your input but I’ll continue as I am, as I’m sure you will too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, absoutely. each to their own…

It is worthwhile understanding what’s being discussed. The goal of EQ is to change frequency response. The goal of upsampling done correctly is to reduce distortion and thus achieve the most accurate reproduction. Your engineer friend wouldn’t say the only two reasons to achieve the most accurate reproduction are loss of hearing in a frequency range or shit speakers, I’m reasonably sure.

You’ll frequently see people referring to various upsampling settings as producing results that are “too bright,” or other terms familiar from EQ, only because we non-engineers don’t have a ready vocabulary for describing the sounds of various types and levels of distortion.

2 Likes

Hello to all music lovers,
Studio works great and sound is really good better than 3.5 its my opinion, but i really need REMOTE APP, does anyone know when is it going to be active ?

Normally you would reasonably think you could ask @Antoine about this, but seems like he has put a personal filter on the word “remote” so he is oblivious to all the comments and complaints.
Allegedly he said remote would be available in two weeks/a couple of weeks/a few weeks (or words to that effect), but that is 2nd hand info from another poster.

Thanks for the info, so we can ask like, we want R E M O T E asab :smile: @Antoine

2 Likes

If audirvana studio wants to be successful, it should give v3.5 users a 20 year free trial.