Audirvāna Studio Feedback

Good old, but much maligned iTunes is faultless in that respect.
The mind boggles at the compulsion to reinvent the wheel when it is unnecessary.
Would that be due to Apple patents or UI copyrights?

I agree 100%. This new upgrade, I mean 1.2 did nothing to all these many small and boring problems. I hope that now that Damien did his “mea culpa” with metadatas, he will take care of all these troubles.

2 Likes

Hey! Thanks for answering. I was thinking about getting exactly this model from CA. I hoped the sonic performance would be more on par with AS/ A3.5. All the bells and whistles with apps like this have the purpose to compensate for the device being a computer. The CXN is a special device, so I thought it should be at least as good as a PC/Mac with AS.

I have to mention, that I do not use oversampling with my setup. The Gumby Multibit has a special filter, you better do not mess up with ;). So “just a streamer” with USB-out to a DAC or working UPNP would be enough for me. I could check the Wolfson-DAC in the CA and would have plenty of more options.

If I just continue to stream TIDAL to AS and send it via UPNP to the CA, the problem would remain: my bad TIDAL performance on A3.5 and AS. I could search for some magical setting, test lots of stuff, reset things to default and maybe I could find a solution for this eventually.

But right now, I am just launching Roon and everything works (for me at least, I know, that people have issues with Roon too). And: Roon just works with my old Macbook Pro (2009) too, AS does not.

But man, I am tempted to buy a CNX v2, but fear they will announce a V3 very soon. Thanks for your perspective on this!

There was a software update last month so I don’t think a V3 is near. Some very good reviews - Hans Beekhuysen (youtube) would put it in his top setup. I think it is the DAC that shines. CA’s new DAC only machine uses a different DAC - ESS I think. NB. CXN V2 does Tidal Connect

You’re going to see a lot of ESS in the near future since the factory that made the AKM chips burned to the ground.

2 Likes

I am going to treat my Topping D90 DAC (also AKM) with much more respect now :laughing:

2 Likes

There’s no extra processing. The upsampling in Audirvana eliminates upsampling steps that would ordinarily be performed by the commodity chip in the DAC.

Treat your ears with respect and avoid the combination of Audirvana/ASIO/DSD with the D90 - initial playback elicits a nasty pop that, if using headphones, can’t be good for the longevity of your hearing.

1 Like

I upsample to DSD and I use the D90 in Audirvana via WASAPI. No problems/pops at all (and a fine sounding DAC it is :grinning:).

When i used the D90 with ASIO the first time (in Audirvana 3.5) it popped/cracked so loud at the beginning of each track that I thought my tweeters where gone. I reported this in this forum (and noticed that a lot of people, also with other DACS) had this problem. The only response of Damian was to provide him with debug data and after that I never heard again (besides one remark like ‘can you turn off upsampling’) and no fix was made.

Luckily my tweeters where still in working order and I discovered the workaround with WASAPI (and DOP) myself. As far as I know those DSD upsampling pops are still present (with ASIO) in 3.5 and I tried it in Studio and the pops where there also.

Other programs like Foobar, JRiver and Roon do not have this problem at all with my D90 on ASIO. This is one of the longstanding bugs which (until now after 2 years) never is fixed in 3.5 and Studio.

2 Likes

Probably not true , the CXN Maxes at 192 then upsamples internally to 384 so there will be 2 upsampling stages , that can’t be good

Why can’t AS pass the native signal say 44.1/16 to the CXN that has to be a bug

That is the situation with AS but not 3.5 so I am hoping it will be an easy fix as I prefer the sound when only one upsampling is in use. Or stay with 3.5. Have all my fellow CXN users installed the latest CXN software updates? It has more to do with bit rate than sampling frequency. Mine works with 24/44.1 but not 16/44.1

Audirvana, and other players that behave alike, makes the upsampling by the CPU of your computer which has more power than the processor of your DAC. This provides a better sound quality.

2 Likes

I have definitely been vocal about the D90 “pop” issue.

If I wasn’t stupid enough to buy a few instances of DSD512 snake oil, it wouldn’t really be an issue. But the fact that, as you indicated and I have also experienced, no other playback software suffers from this problem boggles the mind.

1 Like

I agree. Fonts should be made scalable. The older one gets…

2 Likes

Yep. My eyes get old too :slight_smile: I have seen Damian mention that he wil make the fonts adjustable in the settings in a ‘future update’. But his main focus was probably on the ‘analysing’ part for now. I hope the adjustable fonts will follow soon :wink:

1 Like

Ok, first: it is very buggy yet! And remote doen’t work. I’ve subcribed for testing (30 days!) and now – after 10 days, an email arrived me, that my last week of subscription starts … what is this? 17 days = 30 days and that for a software in so-seeming beta version???
I pay for qobuz, Tidal and highres, but audirvana has to do something so that I am getting in the near of subscribing.
so: no chance, I am restoring my old library and work on with 3.5
mat

a simple Stop button should make the work too :grinning:

yes but the former version with 3.5 worked – and if I wanna test software, I wanna test all functions, not a part of it. If Audirvana says – ok, test period would be at least a week when all parts working – that would be a fair testing offer

2 Likes

Still not able to search in (personal) Qobuz playlists .
Whenever I add an album to my Qobuz favorites (‘my albums’ now) while AS is in use it doesn’t show and I need to restart AS to be able to see the latest added album.
In 3.5 this works just by switching between for example ‘a playlist’ and ‘favorites’, kinda ‘refresh’ without rebooting the whole program.

Okay! I will check this out. Personally, I don’t think I need another DAC (besides Schiit Gungnir Multibit and Chord Mojo). TIDAL Connect is the feature I am interested in the most right now.

Something like https://www.canhifi.com/Resources/UserManualEntity/FileName/web_MF-MXStream-SRP-EN_2021-01-04-12-51-37-281.pdf would be perfekt for me. Just a nice streamer for transport, nothing more. Sold a Ropiee with a streamer hat recently … my bad. The MS Stream seems to be delayed, can’t find anything except some press releases from earlier this year.

Again thanks! I guess the next TIDAL stream issue will bring me a CXNV2 :smiley: