Audirvāna Studio Feedback

Not correct. The external upsampling substitutes for the internal upsampling to 192 that would occur if you sent 44.1 resolution to the input. So no extra steps.

And far from being “not good,” the external processing can be better. (Though a likely result is you won’t hear a difference.) Try the external upsampling with 3.5, compare to internal, see if you like one better or no difference.

However: Yes, the fact you don’t have the choice in Studio is a bug.

That’s been my experience from day one. Every so often I try the experiment again, because I was really looking forward to the new look and trying the radio and searching Qobuz at the same time as my local library. But you describe the difference exactly; once you hear it, you can’t switch. I wish it didn’t feel like I was going back to something against my will. 3.5 sounds fantastic on a Mac! Audirvana has sold its soul—its sound!—for a subscription.

1 Like

That firmware upgrade was for Tidal Connect (?) that was weeks ago , I even applied it early.

Why should 24 bit work where 16 bit doesn’t ? weird ? I can’t see where to set at 24 bit anyway

Looks like my config is on 24 Bit anyway now I look

Hi @Jud

I appreciate the external software up-sampling may be superior to CA’s own code, software like HQ Player and the like claim this I believe

If I understand CA design right , whatever signal is presented to it , it will up-sample prior to the DAC to 384. Its one of their advertised design features, ATF2

Seeing as you cannot input 384 into the CXN anything lower say 192 will be up-sampled so how can a 44.1 to 192 up-sample not be double processed , its less than 384 so CA up-Samples it

If not I am confused. I would rather my signal be processed by my streamer (if it sees fit) than server software . Just my choice (I should have a choice, currently the only way to pass a signal is to up-sample it ie forced to do it !!)

Am I missing something ?

You’re correct that the signal is upsampled no matter what’s input. When you upsample in Audirvana to 192 resolution, that simply takes the upsampling steps from 44.1 to 192 that would ordinarily be performed in your DAC and moves them to your computer. So upsampling steps are simply moved from one location to another, no extra steps are added.

The fact that a part of the upsampling happens in the computer and part in the DAC doesn’t in itself make the sound worse. It may or may not make an audible difference to you, and if it does you might prefer Audirvana or you might prefer the sound with all the upsampling done in your DAC. Once the bug is fixed you can listen and see if it makes any difference to you and which you prefer.

1 Like

Just refuse to upsample before reaching a multibit DAC and its filter to remain original samples, like the Gungnir Multibit ;). Of course, you could … and maybe it will sound better for you … it will just eliminate the selling point of these DACs imho.

On 3.5 I was able separate FLACS by using smart playlist to separate is from my MQA/ MQA Studio I noticed that the option to filter for just MQA or MQA Studio files is no longer a option. I have so many MQA files of both kind to manually have them as a playlist is a hassle. I want to have separate playlists of WAV, FLAC, DSD, MQA, MQA Studio. The option for filtering out is no longer there for MQA/ MQA S. It only shows the sample rate

2 Likes

I have absolutely nothing but admiration for Mike Moffat, who invented the DAC as a separate component, and Schiit. I like their components I’ve owned and listened to, and my customer service experience with them has been exemplary.

You mentioned their multibit oversampling and filtering as a “selling point,” and that’s exactly what it is. As I said, I’ve listened to their components (including Gumby and Yggy) and liked them. That doesn’t make it impossible for anything else to sound better to you. So you can try listening to upsampling with Studio and Gumby, and see what you like better (I promise Mike Moffat won’t strike you with lightning if you do :wink: ). Either way, you still have a fine DAC.

1 Like

Merci! That’s more or less what I meant to say! It’s always a subjective matter… and a grain of placebo ;). Personally, I “hear” the Gumby being more “muddy” with oversampling to its max kHz or 2x/4x via AS or A3.5 (to SAGA, VIDAR, KEF LS50)… didn’t critical A/B… just activated OS from time to time. Results with oversampling seem much better with my CHORD MOJO… and my Modi 3+.

But… could be a placebo too :slight_smile: Sometimes you just have to believe the developers, and Mike is a guy I could beliefe ^^

why the tab “genres” is missing with Qobuz ? while as this exists in Qobuz web player ?

I’m happy to see the addition of Radios to Audirvana and am using it quite a lot. There are two small problems however:

• After some time after loading Audirvana the list of available stations disappears. This is the case under all headings, local, by genre etc. Reloading Audirvana restores them, but they disappear again after a time.

• When playing a station the sample rate and format are displayed (which is not generally of continuing interest)but the information on the track currently playing is not. Other programs show this so the information is available.

Fixing these would add to my enjoyment almost as much as readable fonts and a working remote control :grinning:

You have to use the filter icon… the genres are hidden there! Unfortunately!

1 Like

Finally used the software properly for the first time today.
First problem I encountered was the analysation of my files still hadn’t completed after 2 and a half days.
The progress bar appeared stuck at what appeared to be 100% for at least 2 of those days.
Decided to ignore this and actually play some music (via UPnP) to my streamer.
Managed to listen to 2 albums, and they sounded great. However Studio decided to crash immediately after the second album.
Upon restarting, it then proceeded to re-analyse my files again, from scratch!
Managed to listen to another album before it crashed yet again.
I’m no fan of subscription-based software but was prepared to give it at least a year, as it appeared to offer the features I’m looking for.
Unfortunately with the seemingly buggy nature of the software in it’s current iteration, coupled with the ludicrous decision (imo, as I use a headless system) not to release a remote app at the time of launch means that I for one certainly won’t be a Studio subscriber just yet. I’ll stick with 3.5
Such a shame.

3 Likes

Thank you I found it

1 Like

Thank you I found it DocHobel

1 Like

can confirm theirs a static sound / pop when theirs a change from pcm to dsd at times.

i had this issue. this is a windows firewall rules issue. disable firewall or allow permission for private settings instead of the public one.

Thanks DocHobel. Unfortunately on my iMac the pop-out box that lists the genres is very narrow and only shows the first few characters. This issue seems to affect other pop-out boxes too.

I think those panels are resizable. It’s really hard to see in dark mode.

Decided to sub for a year, because of the Audirvana 3.5 discount. So far I’m quite happy with how the software in general works. But I do have a few issues.

The biggest one is that the software crashes a lot here on Windows. Sometimes I can play music for an hour, or just 10 minutes. Then the music stutters a bit and Audirvana crashes. Either with a “mini dump” error or no error at all.

And it has been analyzing my audio since day 1, and starts all over again after either a program crash or that I quit the program myself. I don’t think it has even gotten past 10% completion once.

I’m using WASAPI as Kernel Streaming doesn’t seem to work properly here. Sounds distorted and completely off. I wonder if it that might have to do because I’m using an external sound card on my laptop (Terratec Aureon 7.1 USB).

If those random crashes and audio analyzing issues can be fixed, then I’ll be a much happier customer.