Audirvāna Studio Feedback

A3.5 and AS don’t scan the same way.
AS is analyzing the acoustic fingerprint of your tracks, sends it to the servers of MusicBrainz, and then writes a MusicBrainz ID tag in its database.
This process is very long.

1 Like

You are fully right about the reliability of the progress bar: sometimes it jumps to 80% and then goes back to 30% after a short time.
What should be done in my humble opinion is:
1/ To have a progress info as a disk whose inner part may count in % from 1 to 10 and the outer part counting in 10th of percents. That would take a smaller space on the GUI and will indicate if the process is still running or stuck
2/ To have some level of log in a file so that we can better know if there is something wrong.

1 Like

Ironz,

I see that you worked very hard with this analysis. You moved folders, saved the database, restored it, detected rebellious folders…
How long did it take you to finish it?

Ok, I see. Not sure to fully understand the added value of this new process but at least this explains why it takes so much time to analyse the audio folders.
It’s also fair to say that my folder (and sub folders) contains 5800 albums and 87000 tracks…

The supposed added value is double.

1. AS will display biographies of the artists. This feature is almost useless, because the fonts are so small that the bio is almost impossible to read. In addition, many, many artists don’t get bio at all. For classical music, you get almost nothing. For rock, artists like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Black Sabbath… are just ignored by AS.

2. If you stream, the MusicBrainz IDs of your library will be shared with Qobuz and Tidal. This way, they will know which albums you have. On this basis, they will make you suggestions to listen to artists that you may not know, and to buy albums that you don’t have in your library.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for this.
I planned to use streaming when I get a better connection with fiber. But this is promised for more than a year and still nothing concrete on my side.
Anyway, i’m not sure I like very much the idea of sharing info from my personal collection with either Qobuz and Tidal.

They collect the info of what music we have, and they call their suggestions “user experiment enhancement”.

Hi Doudou.

It took me about a day in the end, although I only have about 1200 albums/15000 tracks in my library at the moment. I have my artists stored in aphabetical folders, and as the analysation was taking so long on the ‘C’ folder I resorted to moving individual artist folders across a few at a time with no failures.
The main problem I found with the ‘C’ folder is that’s where my compilation albums are located, and any metadata retrieval Studio carried out was taking an age, hence the progress bar apperaing to stick.
The good thing about this piece-meal approach is you can actually see the progress bar moving, albeit slightly at times (whilst moving the more heavily populated folders across).

1 Like

Same here, but in this case for me it was the V folder. It contains the Verzamelingen folder, which means compilations in Dutch :smiley:

1 Like

I can’t move my files I have 2 other players depending on them, moving would force a reload of these as well, not to mention the back up issues

What is taking so long . I have my classical folder loading now for literally days.

Time to give up …

Perhaps we should have renamed these folders to Complications :laughing:

2 Likes

Which translates as Complicaties in Dutch, so yeah less troublesome for AS to translate. So it should go faster :joy:

2 Likes

Sure, as you are a Roon user, if you start to move your music folders, Roon will be lost and will have also to analyze the changes.

Roon didn’t have to re analyze anything here. Just had it rescan my music folder which only took a few minutes. Worst thing was that I had to recreate all my playlists afterwards.

2 Likes

This kind of data has a value for these big companies. They probably pay Audirvana and Roon for that. And they probably sell the data to big musical labels such as Universal, Deutsche Grammophone etc…

3 Likes

Sure, this I understand but this does not convince me at all to give data to those big companies.
Thanks for the info: I will stay away from the streaming or I will use another SW.

I don’t stream at all. I listen only to my own music.

EDIT
But even without streaming, MusicBrainz, for instance, gets the same data. What does it do with it? Maybe it sells it…

Great minds think alike, I started that exact process last night. It’ll probably take a over a month to get all of mine into AS. Are you through and how long did it take you?

Edit: never mind I found your reply to another user. Thanks though!

I don’t know why they make the font so small, unless I’m severely mistaken audiophiles tend to be older and aging eyes simply don’t work as well. I have a large screen and my listening chair is about 3 meters (10 ft) or so away and it requires getting up and walking closer to the screen to read it. Ridiculous!

3 Likes

Fully agree with you. I’m not a young man anymore, but I still don’t need glasses to use my computer, and I have a 27’ screen. Of some 100 applications and utilities on the drive of my Mac, AS is the only one for which I have to lean forward in order to read its user unfriendly small fonts.
After the release of V1.0, Damien promised us that he will increase the size of the fonts. But he did not do it yet.

3 Likes