BUG – tracks cutting off 4 or 5 seconds early at end (entire album affected)

I ran all three maintenance operations – database integrity, rebuild, defragmentation.

using iTunes sync for library. So i deleted tracks, then synced library again – that did not fix it.

running Audirvana 3.5.44 (latest version, checked update). MacBook Air (M1), running MacOS 11.2.2

any suggestions? thx.

Hello @nobodyknows,

Can you send me a copy of the "Debug Info"while you have the issue? You can get it in Audirvana Settings>General>Debug Info

Note: By clicking on the Debug Info button, Audirvana automatically copies all its content, all you have to do is paste it in response to this message

Pasted below. i can send you the tracks if you want to try to duplicate. they are mp3s ripped from a CD. This is a track of the album where all tracks cut off early. I copied the debug info while the track was playing, a few seconds before end of track. (Also i played the tracks in iTunes & they play correctly there.)

Also FYI there was a single track on a different album (i think bought on iTunes? can check metadata) that was cutting off before, but has stopped cutting off as of today and now plays correctly. It was the only track of 12 that was cutting off, but as i said it is now playing correctly the full track.

Audirvana Mac Version 3.5.44 (3574)
macOS 11.2.2 with 8192MB RAM

Registered to __

SIGNAL PROCESSING:

Polarity Inversion:
	Globally: OFF
	Per track: ON
Effects plugins NOT ACTIVE

UPSAMPLING:
SoX with device max frequency upsampling
SoX filter parameters
Bandwidth at 0dB = 99.5
Filter max length = 30000
Anti-aliasing = 100
Phase = 66

AUDIO VOLUME:
Max allowed volume: 100
Replay Gain: None
SW volume control: OFF

LIBRARY SETTINGS:
Sync list: 0 folders
iTunes/Music library synchronization: last synchronized on Sun Apr 4 12:47:16 2021

Library database path: /Users/gene/Library/Application Support/Audirvana/AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite

ACTIVE STREAMING SERVICES

=================== AUDIO DEVICE ========================

CoreAudio audio path, buffer I/O frame size: 512

Max. memory for audio buffers: 5120MB

Local Audio Engine:
Exclusive access: Enabled
Integer mode: Enabled

Preferred device:
AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt v1.0
Model UID:AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt v1.0:21B4:0085
UID:AppleUSBAudioEngine:AudioQuest:AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt v1.0:AQDFCB0100118050:1

Currently playing in Integer Mode:
Device: 2ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer, 6 bytes per frame 96kHz

Active Sample Rate: 96kHz
Hog Mode is on

Bridge settings:
Sample rate limitation: none
Sample rate switching latency: none
Limit bitdepth to 24bit: OFF
Mute during sample rate change: OFF

Selected device:
Local audio device
ID 0x40 AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt v1.0 Manufacturer:AudioQuest
Model UID:AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt v1.0:21B4:0085 UID:AppleUSBAudioEngine:AudioQuest:AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt v1.0:AQDFCB0100118050:1

4 available sample rates up to 96000Hz
Audio buffer frame size : 29 to 4096 frames
Current I/O buffer frame size : 512
Volume Control
Physical: Yes
Virtual: Yes
MQA capability
Auto-detect MQA devices: No
Not a MQA device, user set to not MQA
DSD capability: Unhandled
Device audio channels
Preferred stereo channels L:1 R:2
Channel bitmap: Ox3, layout:
Channel 0 mapped to 0
Channel 1 mapped to 1

Audio channels in use
Number of channels: 2
Use as stereo device only: No
Simple stereo device: Yes

1 output streams:
Number of active channels: 2, in 1 stream(s)
Channel #0 :Stream 0 channel 0
Channel #1 :Stream 0 channel 1

Stream ID 0x41 2 channels starting at 1
8 virtual formats:
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 44.1kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer 96kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer 88.2kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer 48kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer 44.1kHz

8 physical formats
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer 44.1kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer 96kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer 88.2kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer 48kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer 44.1kHz

Local devices found : 2
Device #0: ID 0x40 AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt v1.0 Manufacturer: AudioQuest Model UID: AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt v1.0:21B4:0085 UID: AppleUSBAudioEngine:AudioQuest:AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt v1.0:AQDFCB0100118050:1
Device #1: ID 0x2c MacBook Air Speakers Manufacturer: Apple Inc. Model UID: Speaker UID: BuiltInSpeakerDevice

UPnP devices found : 0

Only 8gb of memory, might be better more for upsampling…

But why you are upsampling mp3 to you max (96) frequency?? When you could play the real flac from the cd in bit perfect format, without tempting troubles…

i just noticed something that might help you with problem: when i first click on the track, it will show what appears to be the correct track length in the ‘remaining time’ at right of the play bar (e.g. 6:30). but then after it has loaded the cache (or whatever the app does when the bar advanced from left to right) it shows the incorrect track time that results in cutting off (e.g. 6:24)

Can you send us the track you try to play so we can try it on our side? You can send it at support@audirvana.com

yes will do. i have some work calls at midday, but will get to later today. merci pour votre attention aux bugs.

i just noticed – track appears to load correctly when using Airplay. But not when using external DAC (or built-in speakers).

I wrote this a year or so back as well. It is very frustrating as about 1/3 of my songs terminate about 5 seconds from them ending properly. Seemingly a random occurrence. I just gave up and every time it happens I get angry instead. (The sound quality coming out of Audirvana beats anything else I have played my songs through so far including Roon (not that good actually), so I am living through the bugs, even the annoying ones.)

If this helps, my Windows 10 PC (stripped down to only run Audirvana) is attached to an external DAC. But this is one of the handful of bugs in Audirvana that I have never been able to get a good enough hold on to send data to Damien. It just seems so random, and I just cannot believe it doesn’t affect almost everyone who uses this software.

This is useful – we can brainstorm together & isolate the source of problem.

Is your library via iTunes syncing, or is it a standalone Audirvana library? (Mine is iTunes syncing.)

Also, can you set your source to either built in speakers or direct headphone jack (i.e. not the external DAC) & see if the tracks load correctly? Ditto if there’s a PC Airplay equivalent? (you can watch the ‘time remaining’ to right of song bar – when i first click the track it shows full length of song. Then after it loads, it suddenly knocks 4 to 5 seconds off the song length).

Any other variables you can think of in how your system is set up?

Okay then, since I have your company the next time I am actually sitting down and listening to music, I will do a bit more investigation. (unfortunately since everyone in my home now works from home (C19), I have less time to listen but I will over the weekend) I will reread what you wrote, and look for those things, and I will also see if I have any new observations to add to yours. (at least it is good to know that this bug is on both OS platforms)

Hopefully I will be able to post by Monday.

Actually I am going to start a new thread about this, because I just did a search for this ongoing bug and lots of people have it.

1 Like

I heard back from Audirvana support. They find the bug happens when upsampling is turned on. No bug when upsampling turned off & output through external DAC. (I’m guessing this explains why there is no bug with AirPlay). I confirmed that this is the case for me as well.

if you can check on your Windows machine if this holds, I’ll pass that on to Audirvana support.

Also, can you post the URL for new thread here? that way it can be x-referenced.

Bonsoir,

Je viens de constater un phénomène étrange sur la gestion de la mise en mémoire tampon

J’ai actuellement 16 go de RAM. .

Lorsque je monte le curseur à 8go, le temps montre profressivement à 60mn sous 192 kHz et repasse à 0 mn d’un coup et puis remonte de la même façon à 60 mn quand j’atteint 16 go.

Je ne sais pas si je suis clair mais peut-être est ce la cause de problème.

Y a t’il quelque que je peut faire au niveau de la RAM de mon PC pour essais ?

Serait-il possible d’avoir la version antérieur à la V.3.4.45 anttendant une nouvelle version plus stable.

Merci de votre compréhension.

Cordialement

Mr GUERNION

To say that the bug is related to upsampling is incorrect. I just disabled upsampling completely and a 24/96 stream from Qobuz cut out just before the end of the track.

I’m not sure that it can be just a buffer problem either- tracks of different length and different sample rate/bit depth all cut out a few seconds before the track ends. Changing the buffer size doesn’t make any difference.

This might be a difference between MacOS & Windows build; there might be different instigating factors at play on the different OS. Because on my MacOS machine & in the Audirvana support effort (I assume they were using a MacOS machine to duplicate my bug) to duplicate the bug, both instances showed upsampling is related to the bug.

Bonjour M. Guernion, est-ce que vous trouvez que le chanson (le ‘track’) s’arrête tôt, et on n’écoute pas le track entière? C’est ça que nous discutons ici. Je suis désolé, je ne comprends pas comment on monte le curseur à le RAM – est-ce que c’est dans le ‘settings’ de Audirvana, et si, dans quel setting? merci.

J’ai refait des test cet après et j’ai constaté que quand le titre est precharge rapidement je n’ai aucun soucis sur l’enchaînement du reste de l’album.
Et quand cela met un peu plus de temps, ça bloque à tous les coups.
Et comme le 24 bit est plus long à precharger, çà coupe à chaque fois.
Et utilisant le plug-in room shaper, cela ralenti encore plus le préchargement.
Je pense que temps de préchargement à une influence sur ce bug.
Est ce une mise à jour de Windows qu’on a provoqué ce bug, j’ai windows 10 pro.
Du coup je tourne avec Flac losless6sans Room shaper et ça passe à peu près.
Mais tous fonctionnait avant la V. 3.5.45.
Pour être sûr de ne pas avoir de Bug, je relance plusieurs fois l’album jusqu’à avoir une vitesse de préchargement rapide.
Voilà mon analyse.

I also have the same problem since the last update, very frustrating. And many people here have the same problem. Please address and resolve this.

1 Like

Nobodyknows, this URL I made just compromises a screen shot of others with this problem. After reading their threads fully I couldn’t find a single commonality.

Here is new URL:

My situation is the follows:

• I am on an INTEL NUC PC with 8Gb of Ram
  • I run a fully stripped down Win10 install with very little background tasks that only runs Audirvana
  • I connect to a DAC by the USB protocol
  • Oversampling is turned on
  • 3Gb allocated for preload
  • I only play songs from my own library never streaming
  • My songs are pulled from my remote media server (Win10) using ethernet
  • Ethernet is run through 1GbE switches

Issue:

• tracks stop playing within 3-7 (appx) seconds of the end of the track
  • Tracks can be 16bit, 24bit flac files or DSF files
  • problem is intermittent
  • absolutely does not happen all the time on every song
  • seems to happen to about 1/3 of my tracks though