Can play DSD64 but not DSD128

Yeah, iFi Zen… up to 128.

1 Like

Excellent advice! I’m currently checking out a new DAC here, No dsd, No mqa. Schiit multibit module installed in my Jotunheim headamp.

1 Like

I’ll let the golden one dial you in, the upsampling to dsd128 can be pretty good imo, something to check out at least. I’m off Studio subscription currently so I can’t give you the exact screenshot I’d like to. I’ve got 3.5 of course.

I’ve got 3.5, don’t use it these days. Origin is well good. I’ll have a go at the upsampling… let you know if I notice an improvement ( or otherwise! ).

1 Like

Hey Mr, did you let your brain rest for a bit? Did you get the chance to double check the firmware on your DAC is current?

So, I’ve just had quick go… the light on the front goes from green to cyan, the sound goes from “solid” to less “solid” - the green light is upsampled to device maximum, 32/384 - the cyan light dsd228. It loses something at dsd128.

That’s just on one track, but I would expect the effect to be the same on any.

He is probably using an older version of macOS.

Just the man for the straight ifi scoop :call_me_hand:

Can you help sort @reddog1 please?

Explain further, try dsd64 to lessen cpu load perhaps :thinking:

As Rey wonders, what os are you on to help guide you.

Unplugged everything. Fresh brains. No dice. In fact, setting upsampling to 128, as I’d done with the MKII with no issues, on the MKIII DSD64 plays fine, but DSD128 AND anything not DSD64 ALSO gets the distortion/static treatment. Dropping upsampling to 64 plays everything again, except of course DSD128.

Either my Mac, the MKIII, or Audirvana is being taxed more than it can handle.

What cpu on your Mac?

MacOS Monterey 12.6.5. Most recent version and top OS this Mac can go. 2015 MacBook Pro.

further… ok, going to dsd64 lowers CPU load… still doesn’t sound as good to me as device max frequency.
OS Catalina - 16GB Ram.

My 2018 Mac mini with i7 can run dsd256 but it’s really working at it. Fan starts running on full blast. Dsd128 it just cruise along no effort. It’s currently on Ventura, probably it’s last update for os perhaps?

1 Like

Also, DSAD256 greyed out, though it is 256 capable…

Which version of firmware do you have installed? I’ve seen on one of our unit (iDSD Diablo) that they mentioned something about the led not displaying properly the sample rate used by the device in their latest firmware update.

Which is normal, macOS is not able to send raw DSD streams. That’s why the DSD over PCM standard has been developed: to send raw DSD in a fake PCM stream.
To identify it as such, there are 8 bit markers in it.
And the presence of these markers doubles the need of bandwidth, thus explaining why on a mac only half of the max DSD rate is available.

3 Likes

I know I’d read this before… I tell you, the day I’m having :rofl:

1 Like

The colours are right.

@jhalmos
Or you need to check with S.M.S.L about this and see if it is a firmware issue…

I’m running the same system that you are with no problems at all with DSDxxx…

• MacOS version 12.6.5
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
  • 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
1 Like