Can play DSD64 but not DSD128

POOP!

Installed Audirvana on my M1 Mac mini and trying it tonight. I’m guessing that MKIII now having the clock internally instead of relying on the CPU is…well, I don’t know. I like the challenge but only if I win.

The MKIII showing in the Audio MIDI Setup screenshot you posted, is telling you that the “Output” clock source is its internal clock… which is correct, because the DAC operates asynchronously from the transmitted clock signal… The DAC topology only uses the sample-rate information from the file data to operate at the proper frequency… for DSD128 the PCM DoP 1.1 carrier sample-rate is 352.8kHz, the DSD256 PCM DoP 1.1 carrier sample-rate is 705.6kHz…

What is displaying on the MKIII when playing DSD128?

1 Like

I think it’s the USB C interface on the MKIII (MKII used USB mini). I don’t think the MacBook Pro 2015 knows what to do with it. I can click on the Built-In Output setting in the Midi app and it keeps playing. And when I do it changes the SMSL MKIII when I click on that to whatever the setting was in the Built-In Output.

As well, the MKIII shows 44 on the screen when playing DSD64. MKII properly showed D-1 (DSD64; D-2 would be DSD128).

Ugh. Gotta return the thing. Not ready to get a new Mac for this use just yet. And I fixed the MKII.