Cannot connect to Chromecast devices on Windows 11

Hello everyone!
I am running Audirvana Origin version 2.3.4 on Windows 11.
Since this latest version, I cannot connect to my Google Chromecast devices any more!
Audirvana says “Error selecting this device. Failed to connect to device”.

However, I also have Roon running on the same PC and Roon is able to connect to my Chromecast devices without any problems. And the Neutron Audio Player on my Samsung Android smartphone can do the same. So, IMO, it is not a problem with the infrastructure of my Chromecast.

Information from Audirvana log file:
Chromecast: failed to connect to 192.168.178.27:8009 error: The requested function is not supported.

Does this mean that Chromcast is no longer supported in Audirvana?
Or does anyone have an idea what is going wrong, or has anyone experienced the same problem as me?

Hi @KPB,

This does not mean Chromecast is not supported in Audirvāna.

Can you send us a copy of the “Debug Info” when you have this issue? You can get it in Audirvana Settings>My account

Note: By clicking on the Debug Info button, Audirvana automatically copies all its content, all you have to do is paste it in response to this message

Hi Antoine!
Here is what I get when enabling DEBUG INFO:

IMO, it seems that Audirvana FIRST tries to connect to the first local USB device (in alphabetical order), i.e. iFi USB Audio device, which is currently not available (but that should not be a problem!).
Then, when I select the [Chromecast] Dali Katch device I will get an error message (see screenshot) that tells me that Audirvana is unable to connect to this device. But as I said: I CAN connect to all my Chromecast devices using Roon or Android Neutron audio player without any problems and without changing any settings on my WLAN, Firewall etc.
So, the only option I have is to press the “UNDO” button in Audirvana and choose a local USB device or switch to Roon etc. at all, and that is disappointing…

DEBUG-INFO:

Audirvana Origin 2.3.4 (20304)

Windows 11 (22621) with 16GB physical RAM

Connected account of : Klaus Peter Berg

SIGNAL PROCESSING:

Polarity Inversion:
	Globally: OFF
	Per track: ON
Effects plugins NOT ACTIVE

UPSAMPLING:
r8brain not in use
r8brain filter parameters
Bandwidth = 99.5%
Stop band attenuation 218dB
Phase linear

AUDIO VOLUME:
Max allowed volume: 100
Replay Gain: None
SW volume control: OFF

LIBRARY SETTINGS:
Sync list: 3 folders
AUTO: E:\DSD & MQA
AUTO: E:\Music_I
AUTO: E:\Music_II
Library database path: C:\Users\klaus\AppData\Local\Packages\Audirvana.Audirvana-d488-4ebf-b1c4-596e08349a6a_q3nymrkmej12j\LocalCache\Local\Audirvana\Audirvana\AudirvanaDatabase.sqlite

Remote Control server:
Listening on 2003:e9:5f2b:4a00:806:6fcc:4de6:1fa on port 9215

=================== AUDIO DEVICE ========================

Last audio device error: Error when selecting the audio device: Failed to connect to device

Active method: Local

Max. memory for audio buffers: 8192MB

Local Audio Engine: ASIO 2
Driver version 0
Use max I/O buffer size: ON

Preferred device:
[Chromecast] DaliKatch
Model UID:Chromecast Audio
UID:DnsSd#Chromecast-Audio-d4beefc4c2223ae4efd060b20c7c16b3._googlecast._tcp.local#0

Active Sample Rate: 44.1kHz

Bridge settings:
Sample rate limitation: none
Sample rate switching latency: none
Limit bitdepth to 24bit: OFF
Mute during sample rate change: OFF

Selected device:iFi USB Audio Device
Manufacturer:
Model name: iFi USB Audio Device
Model UID: iFi USB Audio Device
UID: iFi USB Audio Device

0 available sample rates up to 0Hz

Volume Control
Physical: No
Virtual: No
Max volume alert: Enabled

MQA capability
Auto-detect MQA devices: Yes
Not a MQA device, user set to MQA Renderer
DSD capability: Unhandled

Device audio channels
Preferred stereo channels L:0 R:1
Channel bitmap: Ox3, layout:
Channel 0 mapped to 0
Channel 1 mapped to 1

Audio channels in use
Number of channels: 2
Use as stereo device only: No
Simple stereo device: Yes

0 output streams:
Number of active channels: 2, in 1 stream(s)
Channel #0 :Stream 0 channel 0
Channel #1 :Stream 0 channel 1

Local devices found : 3
Device #0: iFi USB Audio Device
Manufacturer:
Model UID: iFi USB Audio Device
UID: iFi USB Audio Device
Model name: iFi USB Audio Device
Device #1: Matrix ASIO Driver
Manufacturer:
Model UID: Matrix ASIO Driver
UID: Matrix ASIO Driver
Model name: Matrix ASIO Driver
Device #2: Realtek ASIO
Manufacturer:
Model UID: Realtek ASIO
UID: Realtek ASIO
Model name: Realtek ASIO

UPnP

UPnP devices found : 0

Chromecast

Chromecast devices found : 3
Device #0: Technics+Chromecast II
ID: DnsSd#Google-Cast-Group-bfe7abc25a164eee92f8a635829350f6._googlecast._tcp.local#0
Model name: Google Cast Group
Device #1: Chromecast I+II
ID: DnsSd#Google-Cast-Group-5421621322f4449296f3e965629e42e5._googlecast._tcp.local#0
Model name: Google Cast Group
Device #2: DaliKatch
ID: DnsSd#Chromecast-Audio-d4beefc4c2223ae4efd060b20c7c16b3._googlecast._tcp.local#0
Model name: Chromecast Audio

Regards from Germany,
KPB

Do you have those softwares opened while you try to connect to your device in Audirvāna?

No, not all Chromecast devices are online!
Only “[Chromecast] DaliKatch” is ONLINE, and that is the one I want to connect to using Audirvana.

Ok then I will need the logs generated by Audirvāna.

Can you go in the Audirvāna settings and in the My account section? You will see a button ‘Start Log Session’, click on it and then reproduce your issue. After you reproduced it, click on ‘Stop Log Session’ and then send me the log file you can find by clicking on the button ‘Open Log Folder’ at support@audirvana.com

Ok.
The logfile has been sent to support@audirvana.com.
Mail subject is “Logfile to reproduce Audirvana Origin Chromecast problem”.

I can see it, will follow up by mail then :wink:

My PC was not connected to the WLAN repeater I’m usually using. It was connected to the router itself. So I created a second log file that shows the PC running Audirvana connceted to my WLAN repeater as usual. This second file has been sent to support@audirvana.com too.
Perhaps it has better info…
The mail subject is: Second logfile to reproduce Chromecast problem.

Hello Support Team!

Since your last email (a week ago) with the following instructions:

• Check your connection property: In Settings > Network & Internet > Check connection properties, make sure your Network profile is set to Private.

• Check the firewall settings: In Settings > Update and Security > Windows Security > Firewall and Network Protection > Allow an application through firewall, make sure that Audirvana is allowed to access the network.

• If you do not have Audirvana Studio as allowed, this then means your third party firewall blocked it. You can manually add it by adding it manually:

• Search “firewall” using windows search and select “Allow app through Windows firewall
    • click on add a app and past the link to audirvana .exe

All these precautions apply to my environment(!) as documented with screenshots in my last email.

I have not heard anything new about this problem. Neither on the forum nor directly from the support team.

I have provided them with all necessary log files and other requested information, but there seems to be little interest in further investigating this Audirvana Chromecast issue in my area.

Does this mean that my “ticket” has been closed as “unresolvable”?
I am not sure…

–KPB

Hi there!
Can someone from the support team please tell WHICH specific PORT on my Windows PC (Win 11, Fritz!Box router) I should OPEN to allow Audirvana origin to connect to my Chromecast device?

BTW:
The latest error/warning messages concerning Chromecast are:
2023-07-15 12:06:55.289 [warning]: Chromecast: error getting device capabilities: 400 for device: DaliKatch
2023-07-15 12:07:02.841 [error]: Chromecast: failed to connect to 192.168.178.32:8009 error: No connection could be established because the target computer refused to connect.

Hi @KPB,

Maybe this article will help you?

Hi Antoine,
Thanks for the link, but I don’t have a problem with FritzBox and Chromecast in general, I just have a problem with Audirvana with Chromecast. All my Chromecast devices can be accessed by Roon (Windows 11) or Neutron Music Player (Android 13) without having to make any changes to my router, firewall or network.
I remember receiving a specific port number from you that should be open to Audirvana, but I can’t find your specific message on the subject…
Audirvana detects(!) my Chromecast device, and it shows up as a Chromecast device in the Audirvana Origin UI, but I cannot connect to it.

Are you talking about this port?

No, there was no mention of this port number 8009, it was something in the range of 40000 to 50000 as far as I can remember…

I’m telling you about the port 8009 because it’s the one you sent that is displayed on the logs of Audirvāna. Have you already checked if this one is allowed on your local network but not opened outside?

No, there was no mention of this port number 8009, it was something in the range of 40000 to 50000 as far as I can remember…

BTW: Here are 2 screenshots to illustrate the problem:
Chromecast-and-Audirvana
Chromecast-and-Audirvana_II

Audirvana-Ports

Reason found:
Chromecast: Error connecting to 192.168.178.32:8009: The requested function is not supported.

Hi Antoine!
I have finally found the REASON why Audirvana cannot connect to my Chromecast device:
It’s not port 8009, it’s actually because Audirvana does NOT work with OLD Google Chromecast dongles (I temporarily opened the port 8009 on my home network and was able to connect to the port using telnet).
I have two old Google Chromecast Audio dongles (see Amazon.com) which are obviously NOT supported by Audirvana Origin. Hence the message in the log file “The requested function is not supported”.
One of my Chromecast devices is not based on this dongle, but has Chromecast built in. Audirvana CAN connect to this device, but NOT to the “old” Google Chromecast Audio dongles!

Perhaps you may have an idea what prevents Audirvana from working with OLD Google Chromecast Audio dongles whereas other music player DO support this kind of devices too…