Can't Play Classical Music?

Hello Everyone,

I don’t understand this. Perhaps after the latest update, when I play jazz or rock, I am able to stream and play from Audirvana.

However, when I try to play the Western classical composer, Borodin, I am unable to stream and play a selection. The other examples of classical music I tried also do not work. Is this difficulty only for Western classical music, what is the cause, and how can I fix it?

Thanks a lot.

Best wishes,
David

This is called machine learning and it is the future. Software gets its own opinion and you have adjust yourself.

I would think there’s an explanation other than that it’s classical music. Where do you play the music from? Is classical on another hard drive? Is it a different format?

Dear Jacob,

Thanks for your reply. I would think the same as you, but it is happening. This is streaming from Tidal through a stereo. My observation has changed a bit. With the exact same configuration, it will play various jazz and rock pieces, but will not play Beethoven or Borodin. However, it will play Mozart and Brahms! My son suggested that perhaps the provider has special tags for various sorts of music, and those for some artists do not work. I have no idea. Could it have to do with different sorts of recordings?

Best wishes,
David

It’s not the difference between MQA files and non MQA files? Can you play the same music with the Tidal app?

1 Like

Hi Jacob,

When I tried some of the music in Tidal, it does play. What does that mean?

Thanks,
David

That the problem probably isn’t with Tidal.

is there a relationship between the pieces of music that do not play? I already mentioned MQA, but could also be a different resolution. If you limit Tidal to a lower quality in the streaming settings, does it work?

Is there a error when you try to play the files?

Hello again,

The message says “Unable to open an audio file for playback.” Audio settings say that supported rates are 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96. That might have been what I set a year or two ago, but I don’t know if the update changed anything. My DAC is identified as not MQA. My living room as an Audio Note Kits nonoversampling/1X oversampling DAC, that I have used for years.

Thanks again,
David

Can you post the debug info here? Please note that your personal information is at the top, remove it before posting.

Hi Jacob,

It is below.

Thanks again,
David

Audirvana Mac Version 3.5.50 (3580)
macOS 10.15.7 with 16384MB RAM

SIGNAL PROCESSING:

Polarity Inversion:
	Globally: OFF
	Per track: ON
Effects plugins NOT ACTIVE

UPSAMPLING:
SoX not in use
SoX filter parameters
Bandwidth at 0dB = 99.5
Filter max length = 30000
Anti-aliasing = 100
Phase = 66

AUDIO VOLUME:
Max allowed volume: 100
Replay Gain: None
SW volume control: OFF

LIBRARY SETTINGS:
Sync list: 2 folders
Manual: (OFFLINE) /Volumes/My Music 1/CD Albums
Manual: (OFFLINE) /Volumes/192.168.0.20/music/CD Albums
iTunes/Music library synchronization: last synchronized on Fri Jun 25 10:50:55 2021

Library database path: /Users/owner/Library/Application Support/Audirvana/AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite

ACTIVE STREAMING SERVICES
TIDAL: Connected as HIFI

=================== AUDIO DEVICE ========================

CoreAudio audio path, buffer I/O frame size: 512

Max. memory for audio buffers: 13312MB

Local Audio Engine:
Exclusive access: Enabled
Integer mode: Enabled

Preferred device:
Volumio
Model UID:Volumio Volumio
UID:uuid:04255cb4-11f0-58db-0053-e45f0137b430

Active Sample Rate: 44.1kHz
Hog Mode is off

Bridge settings:
Sample rate limitation: none
Sample rate switching latency: none
Limit bitdepth to 24bit: OFF
Mute during sample rate change: OFF

Selected device:
Local audio device
ID 0x37 Built-in Output Manufacturer:Apple Inc.
Model UID:AppleHDA:128 UID:AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,0,1,1:0

4 available sample rates up to 96000Hz
Audio buffer frame size : 14 to 4096 frames
Current I/O buffer frame size : 512
Volume Control
Physical: No
Virtual: Yes
MQA capability
Auto-detect MQA devices: Yes
Not a MQA device, user set to not MQA
DSD capability: Unhandled
Device audio channels
Preferred stereo channels L:1 R:2
Channel bitmap: Ox3, layout:
Channel 0 mapped to 0
Channel 1 mapped to 1

Audio channels in use
Number of channels: 2
Use as stereo device only: No
Simple stereo device: Yes

1 output streams:
Number of active channels: 2, in 1 stream(s)
Channel #0 :Stream 0 channel 0
Channel #1 :Stream 0 channel 1

Stream ID 0x38 2 channels starting at 1
4 virtual formats:
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 44.1kHz

12 physical formats
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 44.1kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 16 little endian Signed Integer 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 16 little endian Signed Integer 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 16 little endian Signed Integer 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 16 little endian Signed Integer 44.1kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 44.1kHz

Local devices found : 2
Device #0: ID 0x37 Built-in Output Manufacturer: Apple Inc. Model UID: AppleHDA:128 UID: AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,0,1,1:0
Device #1: ID 0x2a ZoomAudioDevice Manufacturer: zoom.us Model UID: zoom.us.zoomaudiodevice UID: zoom.us.zoomaudiodevice.001

UPnP devices found : 0

I don’t see anything yet what it could be.

If I understand correctly, you go through the optical output of the MAC to the DAC.

Can you make screenshots of albums you can play and albums you can’t play?

Dear Jacob,

I have tried playing pieces through my upstairs, living room system as described, using Emotiva high quality Bluetooth. I have also attempted to play music through my Mac’s internal speakers. In both cases the result is the same. I am sure other outputs would work the same way. Some pieces play and some give the same Audirvana error message thet the software cannot play the audio. I am mystified.

David

I’m especially curious if you look at the albums that play and those that don’t. Can a connection be found? And is there anything we can do with that? Or do we need Audirvana support.

If you enable volume control in Audirvana, does it work? And does it change anything for the albums that won’t play?

Is this fix the problem………

Following today’s update of 3.5, here is the changelog :

MacOS:

• Fix 16 bit MQA files playback
  • Fix Qobuz favorites retrieval
  • Minor fixes
1 Like

I think it’s a good idea to post some titles. Most probabily other users have this problem too. Also the developers can check, find the reason and make a fix. I think @Jacob did a very good job, but it’s just a user who wants to help. I can’t check, I use only Qobuz and local. Try to play MQA files from the dedicated category, all plays ok?

2 Likes

I have Tidal and 3.5 Mac mini usb and upnp , give some titles and be I will be happy to try

Hi,

I’ll look up some titles tomorrow.

Best wishes,
David

1 Like

Jacob you see that device #1 ZOOM ? Teleconference application I am assuming. I’m wondering if the MIDI settings could interfere?

Is it possible to set Tidal as standard/lossy? As with Qobuz can? This can be done in the setting/streaming screen. I expect that every album will be played in the same lossy format. If all albums can be played then the problem is format related.

Hello Everyone,

I have found some examples that don’t and do play. Thanks for any advice. I want a non oversampling configuration, and would be grateful for instructions about how to make Audirvana work properly.

Best wishes,
David

A few examples that don’t play:

Art Ensemble of Chicago, Urban Bushmen, 1981, 1982 ECM Records

Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony, Hamburg Festival Symphony Orchestra, copyright 1963 by Allegro

A Fifth of Beethoven, Walter Murphy, copyright 1976 by Private Stock Records

Borodin: Prince Igor released 2013 by Essential Media Group LLC

Borodin: Prince Igor, Jerzy Semkow, 1998 copyright 2011 EMI Records Ltd.

Sun Ra, The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra, 1964, 2012 ESP Disk

A few that do play:

Ornette Coleman, The Shape of Jazz to Come, 1957, 2004 by Atlantic Records

Deep Purple, Machine Head, 1972, 2004 by Warner Records

Tested three of your problem albums, thru pro-ject dac no upsample plays fine. Played to Mac Mini internal speaker plays fine. Tested with Tidal A+ 3.5.50 and Studio 1.7
Have you looked over your Midi settings?
What does about settings in the title bar ?

Hello,

I am afraid I don’t know how to set Midi settings or those in the title bar. All I see are preferences and audio settings in Audirvana. It is a problem that I can’t play a lot of music. Thanks.

Best wishes,
David