Changing files with different sample rate => Plop

I use flac files. Changing ASIO large buffer to off and mute function to on have no effect at all. Just one plop is teasing my speakers and ears.

There is an issue in some DAC models that do not mute their analog output when switching sample rate, thus resulting in such plop noise more or less loud.
The best solution can come only from the DAC manufacturer by fixing their DAC firmware.
Waiting for such a fix from the DAC manufacturer, you can limit the number of sample rate changes of your DAC by selecting in the upsampling options to always upsample to the same sample rate (e.g. device max frequency setting)

It might have something to do with the upsampling feature > 192 khz: X2 in my case. I’ll put it off.

Damien, this problem started from version 1.3.7, before everything worked perfectly in Audirvana, in my case is no problem with DAC firmware, because if I use other players (foobar …), this “plop” does not appear . In PCM everything plays well, but when I upsamping to DSD the “plop” starts at the beginning of each song. Could you make version 1.3.6 or older available for download?

1 Like

I’ve just released 3.4.914 that brings a fix for the noise issue between DSD tracks.
Can you restart Audirvana to get the update to 3.4.914, and test the issue is also fixed on your system?

1 Like

No change for IFI Nano iDSD. Driver v5.3c W10
:confounded: Plop-plop at start and end of title list (not playlist, sorry don’t know the name in english) when upsampling PCM to DSD.
As mentioned above, until 1.3.6 all was fine.
BR
BB

I think 95% of the problem was solved. I tested version 3.4.914 with good results. When entering Audirvana, always the first song of the first album has the “plop”, which no longer happens when you advance from one song to another on the same album. Occasionally the “plop” happens when playing the next 3 to 4 discs, but I couldn’t find a logic of how this happens. I did the test always upsampling for DSD256

Unfortunately no fix for me. Flac samplerateswitch flac/pcm from anything to 192 khz with Upsampling X2 generates a plop. Without upsampling no plop occurs and a limitation of the max sample rate for bridge devices at 192 khz pevents plopping aswell.

1 Like

This plop when changing sample rate (e.g. 44.1 to 192kHz) looks clearly like your DAC is one of the models not muting their analog outputs when changing sample rate. This is the cause of the plops there.
You can check this by changing sample rate of the DAC in the audio device advanced properties in Windows directly (either though control panel, or right click on the speaker icon). You’ll hear the plop at each change.

Sorry, no. Just did a test. Screen shot later. No pop at all.
W10 built 1903, IFI nano iDSD, driver v5.3c

BR
BB

This is the window I changed the settings in. No pop as mentioned. Maybe this is because the problem only occurs in ASIO.

BR
BB

This may well be linked to the ASIO driver.

@Damien: You are right!

Yeah, maybe :thinking: But then, why did Audirvana work properly to upsample to DSD to exactly this device with just exactly this driver sw in V1.3.6?:roll_eyes:
BR
BB

I am a bit late to the party. I use Audirvana 3.5.3. in Windows 10. When I let Audirvana upsample to DSD, every time when my DAC (Topping D90) switches from PCM to DSD there is a POP. Also when I play a DSD file (without upsampling) there is a POP when switching from PCM to DSD,

I have tested this also with JRiver Media Center and Foobar (also with upsampling to DSD). In those programs there is no POP at all when my DAC switches from PCM to DSD. Also Topping informed me that there DACs are build in such a way that they surpress the switching sound.

Also in the forums there are no complaints about this DACs driver and hardware about popping sounds. I asked around and nobody has this issue with this particular DAC.
I have tested this also with a friend who has different DACS:

• Pro-ject DAC. Same popping problem in Audirvana. (no problem in JRiver and Foobar).
  • Korg M100 DAC. Same popping problem in Audirvana.(no problem in JRiver and Foobar).

Conclusion:

• The hardware variable is out off the equation
  • The dac driver varable is out off the equation
  • Other media programs don’t have a popping problem with this DAC/driver (and other DACS)

All fingers point to Audirvana :). Also I hope this will be resolved soon, because when my system volume is loud the POP is also very loud. I am having a real risk of damaging my tweeters.
Don’t get me wrong, I like Audirvana a lot, but this is a serious problem.

1 Like

I have the same issue with my TEAC UD501 and Audirvana.

Can you send me a copy of the “Debug Info”? You can get it in Audirvana Settings>General>Debug Info

Note: By clicking on the Debug Info Audirvana button automatically copies all its content, all you have to do is paste it in response to this message

Hi Damien,
Here is the debug info:

Audirvana 3.5.3

SIGNAL PROCESSING:

Polarity Inversion:
	Globally: OFF
	Per track: ON
Effects plugins NOT ACTIVE

UPSAMPLING:
SoX to DSD512 with filter type B 7th order
SoX filter parameters
Bandwidth at 0dB = 99.5
Filter max length = 30000
Anti-aliasing = 100
Phase = 66

AUDIO VOLUME:
Max allowed volume: 100
Replay Gain: None
SW volume control: OFF

LIBRARY SETTINGS:
Sync list: 1 folders
AUTO: Z:\ALubMusic
Library database path: C:\Users\andre\AppData\Local\Audirvana\AudirvanaPlus\AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite

ACTIVE STREAMING SERVICES

=================== AUDIO DEVICE ========================

Max. memory for audio buffers: 3544MB

Local Audio Engine:ASIO 2 driver version 1091

Preferred device:
Topping USB Audio Device
Model UID:Topping USB Audio Device
UID:Topping USB Audio Device

Currently playing in Integer Mode:
Device: 2ch 8bits Integer, 2 bytes per frame 22579.2kHz

Active Sample Rate: 22579.2kHz

Bridge settings:
Sample rate limitation: none
Sample rate switching latency: none
Limit bitdepth to 24bit: OFF
Mute during sample rate change: ON

Selected device:
Local audio device
Topping USB Audio Device Manufacturer:
Model UID:Topping USB Audio Device UID:Topping USB Audio Device

14 available sample rates up to 22579200Hz
Volume Control
Physical: No
Virtual: No
MQA capability
Auto-detect MQA devices: Yes
Not a MQA device, user set to not MQA
DSD capability: Raw DSD (MSB)
Device audio channels
Preferred stereo channels L:0 R:1
Channel bitmap: Ox3, layout:
Channel 0 mapped to 0
Channel 1 mapped to 1

Audio channels in use
Number of channels: 2
Use as stereo device only: No
Simple stereo device: Yes

1 output streams:
Number of active channels: 2, in 1 stream(s)
Channel #0 :Stream 0 channel 0
Channel #1 :Stream 0 channel 1
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 44.1kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 48kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 88.2kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 96kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 176.4kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 192kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 352.8kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 384kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 705.6kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 768kHz
2 ch DSD 8bit big endian in 8bit chunk 2822.4kHz
2 ch DSD 8bit big endian in 8bit chunk 5644.8kHz
2 ch DSD 8bit big endian in 8bit chunk 11289.6kHz
2 ch DSD 8bit big endian in 8bit chunk 22579.2kHz

Local devices found : 6
Device #0: foo_dsd_asio Manufacturer: Model UID: foo_dsd_asio UID: foo_dsd_asio
Device #1: iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio Manufacturer: Model UID: iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio UID: iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio
Device #2: JRiver Media Center 26 Manufacturer: Model UID: JRiver Media Center 26 UID: JRiver Media Center 26
Device #3: KORG USB Audio Device Driver Manufacturer: Model UID: KORG USB Audio Device Driver UID: KORG USB Audio Device Driver
Device #4: Pro-Ject Box ASIO Driver Manufacturer: Model UID: Pro-Ject Box ASIO Driver UID: Pro-Ject Box ASIO Driver
Device #5: Topping USB Audio Device Manufacturer: Model UID: Topping USB Audio Device UID: Topping USB Audio Device

UPnP devices found : 1
Device #0[TV] Samsung 7 Series (55) UID: uuid:38b75566-d5a0-4ca9-9412-fbff56720a76 Location: http://192.168.178.108:9197/dmr

Can you try to run a test by disabling upsampling and play some music?

Hi Damien,
When I disable upsampling and I play a DSD file I get the same POP sound when the switch is made from PCM to DSD.