Direct Mode enable in macOS High Sierra

I have replaced the kext with the required version and properly set ownership etc. Playback works except for DSD. When I select my Geekout 1000 it shows that it supports DSD64/128 in the settings for Audirvana but direct mode option is invisible and I am unable to select it. I have confirmed on the same computer running a Windows 10 VM in Parallels that the device can and does play back DSD (indicator on the DAC shows DSD) but Audirvana never sets DSD mode on the DAC.

If I could get access to a version of Audirvana before it disabled direct mode I could see if it’s just a bug in the current version or if it’s endemic to all versions of Audirvana. Is there a way to find past versions of Audirvana?

Thanks.

Did you select this option instead of Automatic Detection… 1.0 or 1.1

See the link of 3.2.5…
Copy it and paste it in your browser
before hitting enter, change the number of the version you want instead of 3.2.5

https://audirvana.com/delivery/AudirvanaPlus_3.2.5.dmg
Snapz001.jpg
Snapz001.jpg

Yeah I did that. i have been running Audirvana with my Geekout for a long time and only recently has it stopped working for DSD. I have tried 1.0 and 1.1 PCM standard both with the effect that I can year faint music behind lots of static/hiss. My setup is identical to that in the screenshot except the “Direct Mode” option is hidden on my system so I cannot select it.

I just downloaded and tried v2.6.4 and when i tried to play DSD with direct mode it gave me an error. So for whatever reason I am unable to select or utilize direct mode.

I think Direct Mode as nothing to do with Playing DSD files…
Does it plays when you uncheck Direct mode?

Mine works DSD64 and 128 with or without Direct Mode and with or without replacement of .ktext

Yes I tried without direct mode. The best indicator it isn’t working other than the missing sound is that the Geekout DSD indicator light does not come on. When I tested under Windows using JRiver Media Center (same Mac computer) the DSD indicator did come on and it was playing properly. I have tried many different configurations and nothing will work to play back DSD without converting it to PCM now with Audirvana.

Well, A+ for windows is just around the corner :grinning:

I’m going to try this. I keep getting crashes on el capital, maybe this would solve it. Thanks!

It is for Sierra and High Sierra ONLY

I know, I meant that’s im going to upgrade to high Sierra.

So far so good. But who knows. Qobuz streaming still has hiccups, pretty sure that’s a different bug.

HELP! So…I have followed all the instructions and everything was going great, until…I got to the repair permissions part. Entering, “sudo RepairPermissions /” into Terminal no longer works in High Sierra as Apple apparently did away with this. Apple provides a way to repair permissions in the home folder, but I’m guessing this will not help as it is for home folder permissions only (see here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538). I tried to use Onyx, but I see no option/feature to repair permissions in Onyx for High Sierra. So…I’m not really sure what to do at this point. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I am kind of freaking out now and would love to get my Mac working correctly and have Direct Mode in A+.

Thanks in advance!
G

Repair permissions worked as usual for me with 10.13.3 update…

You don’t use onyx or apple thing, you use what it is written for high sierra, not sierra or else…

Do you mean it worked after typing in, “sudo RepairPermissions /”?

I copied and pasted it into terminal and got: sudo: RepairPermissions: command not found

Is there supposed to be two spaces between, “sudo RepairPermissions” and the “/” or…one space, or no space? I just tried it with one space and then got the same: sudo: RepairPermissions: command not found

yes it worked. no 2 spaces: sudo RepairPermissions /
did you install the software before…

You can download Repair Permissions here, it is free:
(I since included it in the folder, but you can go there yourself if you don’t trust the .zip file i downloaded there myself.

https://www.firewolf.science/2016/07/repairpermissions-v3-now-supports-repairing-permissions-on-macos-sierra/ There is a yellow >> Downloads section in the middle of the page… Unzip it to your Mac Desktop.
Then, in your Finder Mac Menu ’ Go ’ Choose: Go to folder… and paste:

/usr/local/bin

I downloaded the software, followed all the instructions to the letter. Put the unzipped file into the bin folder, typed the, “csrutil disable; reboot” and the Mac booted up fine. Then I dropped the IOAudioFamily.kext into the, “/system/library/extensions” folder and authenticated and replaced. Then had to do the three lines in separate shots as I got the file not found when trying to do them all at once. I hit reboot and everything seemed fine until I tried to repair permissions. I’m at a loss. Any ideas?

One other thing. If I try to go to the folder (/usr/local/bin) now, all I see is a white file icon (not a folder icon) that says, “usr” next to it but in column view there is nothing to the right of it (i.e. there is no usr folder anymore containing the unzipped file I originally put into it, nor is there any other file or anything else. There is nothing.

mine folder
Snapz001.jpg
Snapz001.jpg

i don’t use column view, try icon view and put it back there like mine… that is why the command not working for you

IMG_7322.JPG
Mine looks like this now. It looked fine and was a folder when I originally put the file into it.
IMG_7322.JPG