Help with brainstormšŸ’™ "SOLVED" šŸ’™

Itā€™s hard for me to believe that re-install would bring something, but you can de-authorize Audirvana form the menu and wait 24h to re-install. You can also install 2 instances in parallel with the license you have.

Have you tried plugging off or completely disconnecting some of the devices in your room. Iā€™m thinking of the LED lights you see in the background in the picture you attached. Disconnect everything. Move the equipment further away from the switch.

The weird thing is that you have the same issue with 2 different bridges. That why I said that you might want to try with a different DAC, just to see if itā€™s DAC related or not.

There are no led lightsā€¦ The only led lights are the ones in the qutest. The orange kamp you see is a salt lamp which i use to have some light for the photo. If its gone, there still is a humm.

Multiple times i have disconnected everything.
And there ainā€™t no thing or cable etc thatā€™s producing the hummā€¦ Believe me, i tested everythingā€¦i have a dedicated listening room.

The switch i have for a month now and the humm was present before this switch was bought.

And about the qutest: basically you say that i should contact Chord audio with this problem? Or sonore? Or stack audio? ā€¦that there product is causing a problem together with another productā€¦
Wellā€¦you know what they gonna sayā€¦

But why are you pointing to the dacā€¦ It works perfectly when upsampling or native 24 filesā€¦ Only the 16/44 is hummingā€¦
Not with roon and qobuz, not with roon and my nasā€¦
It started with audirvanaā€¦
And i hope that audirvana will end thisā€¦

Soā€¦when upsampling is deactivatedā€¦and i downsample the bithdept of a song (under active device) to 20 bit (!) Or 16 bit theres a hummā€¦
Uhmmmā€¦hummmšŸ¤”
Does this mean anything, without having to change dacs?
Nooooo problems at all with the hummm only with 16 bithdepts and 20 bithdeptsā€¦
Upsampling activated or deactivatedā€¦

Is the Cisco switch PoE? Do you have some other switch?

You can also try with Chord support. Maybe they have some ideas.

Try also with JRiver to stream over the bridge to the Qutest.

With the microrendu i used another switchā€¦same problemā€¦

Something went wrongā€¦ i wanted a link to my first postā€¦ Didnā€™t work.

Other question, same problem;

Is it possible for a dac to make a humming noise at 16 bithdepts and 20 bithdeptsā€¦and when played 24 bithdepts (and further) the humming disappeares?
I mean;
Are the path signals different bij 16 and 20 bithdepts ā€¦and 24 and up bithdepts.

In other words: can the dac be broken and act like this?

(Still doesnā€™t make sense that Roon is okee)
ā€¦but just to make things visible to meā€¦

Have you tried with higher resolution files? Try with 24/96.

And why the f.ck is this constantly happening!
It scares me to death when it comes up whenever it feels likeā€¦ And you think this is noisy? Believe me, when it happens when i upsample itā€™s twice as loud with poppin and crackingā€¦

It only happens at 16 and 20 bithdeptsā€¦ Al other is fineā€¦

And i mean the hummin. The distortion is on al bithdeptsā€¦ Freaking me outā€¦

There is not much you can do at this point. The only options are to try RPi as a bridge or try to connect another DAC to microRendu. This will give you an idea in which direction to proceed.

I dinā€™t use the microrenduā€¦ Because it was humming at 16 and 20 bithdeptsā€¦
My first post ever was about that and then i was told to try another bridgeā€¦
So here he is: de stack audio link 2.

Stack audio link 2 is a rpi based bridge.

ā€¦you were the one that told me i was giving up to soonā€¦ (Because i wanted to cancel my audirvana liscense) so i went on with upsampling that made the humm disappearā€¦but created the freaking distortion over and over again. I try to solve it but didnā€™t acomplish thatā€¦
Then you said; why upsampling? The quetest and his developer etc.
So i quit the upsampling because indeed it sounds fabulousā€¦ and there iā€™m back at day one with audirvana and the hummin problem.

I even contacted microrendu at that time.

And now it is probably the dacā€¦

You get my frustration? (And i still like to thank you fir your help). If there is any way to cancel my audirvana liscense i like to know howā€¦because that is what i wanted from day one i bought it.

I wouldnā€™t blame you if you gave up now. It doesnā€™t seam to be strictly Audirvana issue, but I understand your frustration.

Write to support@audirvana.com

Hi there,
Hum or buzz is mostly introduced into hifi systems by two possible main reasons:

1. An ā€œearth-loopā€ introduced by interconnects between PC/MAC, DAC, cd/dvd/blue-ray player, Amps, RJ45 switch,Tuners, Tuner CAI connection to provider etc.
    (cai connection very often reason, because the signaal wire or screen carries very often a high voltage when measured against the real earth!!!
    This will introducƩ hum/buzz to the whole audio system. Test of by disconnecting the CAI cable!!!
  2. Bad powersupplies, can introduce hum/buzz!
    Could also introduce Noise etc!!!

Start to check those possibilities by disconnecting the CAI system and try!!!
Of this doesnā€™t help, make your installation as smal as possible by disconnecting all boxes witch are not realy needed to play digital music files from PC/MAC to your stereo system.

Hopefully this guide helps to ā€œrepairā€ this problem

Cheers
mollie

Hi Mollie, thanks for your responseā€¦ appreciate it.

The things mentioned above iā€™ve bin thru alreadyā€¦
In my first post ever on this forum it was mentionedā€¦ or it was by sonore ā€¦
And i did all those thingsā€¦ Didnā€™t help.

Besides i have tried the things above that time, all my audio gear and cables or even my power isolation station is new and other then that time. I did mention this earlier in my posting.
So also the powersuplyā€™s. (I changed them back to the original and vice versa)

It all started with switching from roon to audirvanaā€¦

And, correct me if iā€™m wrong; a groundloop canā€™t identify when a 16, 20 bithdept file is playing and then start to hummā€¦ and then, when i upsample it, or play a 24,32 bithdept file the groundloop thinks; now i stop the humminā€¦

Andā€¦it only hums when a file or song is played, and stops when paused.

It hums with microrendu and audirvana
It hums with Stack audio link 2 and audirvana

It doesnt humm with roon and microrendu.

And believe me; there is nothing more that i want than audirvana as softwareā€¦but it has to implement as it has ment to implement.

So Mollieā€¦ please help me to solve this.
I donā€™t wanna be a know it all, but i donā€™y wanna constantly do the same thingā€¦thatā€™s why i wonā€™t try again to do the things you mentionedā€¦ bin there,done thatā€¦ Sorry

Hi @SteveE, i took a look at your thread and the issue you encounter. You told that with upsampling the humming disappeared but it produce distortion. I saw that you used the option to use the max capacity of the device, have you tried with the other options?

Hi Damien3ā€¦ With my hand on my heart; i try every other bithdept with bitrateā€¦ And all the other options in the menu on or of etc etc.

The clicking and poppin is reduced when i play with; LOW LEVEL PLAYBACK FUNCTIONS, but then again the distortion becomes more frequent. Itā€™s the one of the other.
Lower the upsampling seems to make the distortion less frequentā€¦but minimal.
Using asio in stead of wasapi makes a BIG difference in the loudness of the distortion and it reduces the clickin and poppinā€¦ and believe me it sound terrifyingā€¦the poppin as the distortion.

Thatā€™s why i bought extra ram memory to hope to solve thisā€¦but it didnā€™t.

Soā€¦now all settings are set to max 24/192. When there is a lot of bitrate switching there is a little clickinn poppinā€¦but thatā€™s okay for meā€¦ The distortion seems almost gone, but who knows :grimacing:. I donā€™t dare to put the volume to sweet rockinā€¦
But i have to test this for a whileā€¦
Butā€¦16 bithdepts,20 bithdepts are hummin. Pres pause, hummin goneā€¦ Volume louder, hummin stays the same levelā€¦

Hi SteveE,
Have you by any chance another dac laying around (or from frieds) which can handel up to 24bit/192KHz signals. With that you can try-out whether is than functioning ok for music.

Your cutest dac does the converting completely different as standard dacs (very special FPGA chip) and try to upsample all incoming signals also to higher frequencies as well.
Best use will be in principle that only one dac unit or one player does the up or downsampling.
It maybe could be that the the Audirvana software doesnā€™t work properly together with the Cutest FPGAā€™s software together.

Cheer mollie