Following the quasi death of my MacBook Pro (Failure of the Ethernet card, but not detected using the AHT), which I used as the Aurdivana server, I need to find the best strategy for its replacement.
To be noted that I’m using Audirvana to stream audio files from a NAS to a DAC via UpNp. I give you here the results of my thoughts:
- Keep my MacBook pro with Wifi: risk of performance issues?
- I have an old iMac that needs to be replaced soon: use the new iMac for Audirvana but there two network switches between iMac and the DAC, and the iMac will be used also for other purposes.
- Buy a Mac Mini and connect it as close as possible to the DAC: expensive option and Mac Mini is hard to upgrade later (adequate RAM size should be better installed initially and 16GB is probably a good choice for future expansion)
- Non Audirvana solutions:
- ROON on the NAS: expensive and ROON system requirements are high (NAS processor, RAM size, SDD to store the DB)
- Buy a dedicated server such as a Melco N100 that allows direct connection to the player: expensive and not maybe at the same quality level of my DAC (TotalDac).
So, if any of you has some advice on this, I would be glad to hear from you.