Ifi Neo stream dsd not working correctly

Thanks. OK, plenty of network speed.

My DIY setup works without problems at DSD512, so I’m just left to wonder if it’s something with the NEO Stream. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Thanks for helping! I appreciate it. Good to hear that it should work. I’ll try different settings, also WiFi, (474mbs) but that might give interrupts due to the use of other devices.

In my opinion, the ideal cable for audio is CAT6.
I think that CAT7 cables can bring some type of noise to the audio, due to the internal shielding.
I think it’s a subject that has already been debated.

My internet speed with CAT6

I made a mistake: I looked it up, it is cat8 cable. Should be good for 40Gbs… I specifically bought it for the streamer.

Cat6a would be best at the moment. It’s a newer spec than 7 and 8. Recommend the unshielded type, which doesn’t electrically connect the grounds at each end of the cable. But that’s just my recommendation - if you like what you have, go with it.

1 Like

I finally found the culprit for the hiccups. As it turned out the standard setting for audio buffering in the Ifi app is 30mb: counterintuitively I had to lower that to 2mb! I also tried the highest value of 64mb: nearly continuous hiccups. Who would have thought that! The audio buffer is supposed to help “to avoid chances of audio stuttering over the network” by increasing this value…
So finally undisturbed listening to dsd512 is possible. Thank you all who chimed in with ideas and suggestions for helping me out.
Hopefully both the warning for using the volume control and now the solution for hiccups helps other Neo Stream users as well.

4 Likes

Are you referring to the Audirvana Buffer or the device?

O sorry, I thought I made it clear: in the Ifi app, so the buffer in the Neo Stream.

1 Like

Well… you exacerbated the bi-directional communication request interrupt latency by increasing the buffer to 64 MB… it’s a fine digital-audio network dance that you now understand how to manage… What is your Audirvana playback memory buffer allocation?

@Antoine will possibly want to update the settings on the “plays with Audirvana” page. Good job @DonaldM , that’s some perseverance!

10gb. I did not know those two are interrelated. I thought Audirvāna buffer is for preparing tracks in memory before replay, so as to have an uninterrupted stream of music within the mini, offered to the dac. The buffer in the Neo for network interruptions.

Thanks! There are so many variables. And even interrelated as @Agoldnear taught me.

From now on whenever I read one of your very informative posts, this is what I’ll see :wink::rofl: :rofl: :+1:

3 Likes

I updated the Neo Stream page :wink:

Thank you for your findings @DonaldM :smiley:

2 Likes

You may find that a playback pre-load buffer of 6GB will allow your system to flow better…
Also, move Audirvana from your Library drive to the System drive, you won’t be disappointed unless you have limited Virtual Memory available because the System drive is small and/or filled…:wink:

:sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

I’ll try 6gb. I don’t understand library drive and system drive!?
I only have one ssd drive in my mini, my music is on external drives. Both system folder and library folder are on the same ssd drive.

1 Like

The System drive is where macOS resides and for best performance macOS should be installed on the internal drive of the Mac Mini… this is where you should have Audirvana installed… Your Music Library should be unencumbered on it’s own drive(s) and only serve files to the macOS + Audirvana operations… the Library folder(s) residing on the Library drive(s)

1 Like

Ok. I understand. That is exactly as I have it right now, and always had. No music files/library on my ssd, and Audirvāna on the system drive.

1 Like

6gb it is. Very subtle but worthwhile.